How to: use DD Octopus Net in MP (1 Viewer)

mnmr

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

MightyDetail

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 8, 2012
    Kamen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yap, I think we have to user that splitter until the next TV Engine is published. Got the same probe before I used the Url-Source Splitter.

Miracle is, that the Channel switching time is shorter with OctopusNet, than with the inserted Octopus Tuner Card with 4 (2+2)Cards. The CI Modul with an Alphacrypt Classic + Unitymedia (NRW) is also working perfectly. Got one Bluescreen by switching to an Channel that wasn't available. Maybe wrong PIDs, Scrambled or whatever. Since that stable and fully virtualized TV-Server (ESXi 5.5). If someones interested in settings or whatever....

mnmr

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I don't think MP likes me much ;)

I got through the scan and can see all the channels (in TV Setup), but if I start MP the TV section is rather dysfunctional: TV does nothing, TV Guide is empty (and even has stuff like 'Missing label' on the screen), and choosing Channel hangs MP (it makes noises when you click but is stuck on same screen, Alt-F4 being the only rescue).. I should probably go back and check the installation guide to see if I missed anything, but would sort of have expected the TV part to work already.

Channel switch times are OK with the OctopusNet, at least in the DD-TV app. I had troubles with figuring out the proper channel URLs for direct play, so used Wireshark to grab the RTSP URLs from DD-TV and have been using these in VLC up until now.. but it's not exactly an HTPC solution for the wife ;)

Any hints, settings or whatever might else might help move things forward is appreciated!

mnmr

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    astra 19,2° fta List

Yes, that looks similar to what I have (except that I am using DVB-C, so have different parameters for the channel URLs). I couldn't find any documentation on the URL format, but was able to grab working URLs from DD-TV (using Wireshark to listen in on what it was doing).

Never found out what to do with the m3u file though (i.e. how to import it into MP), but at least it works in VLC.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    yes, the octoCast tool has ja button to import it into MP ;)

mnmr

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Yes, I've tried it.. but to be honest, it's quite horrible! I'd be embarrassed if I was DD and released such a tool - they even have the audacity of forcing me to watch some stupid ad for 5 seconds every time I close the tool.

That said, DD offers a transponder list for their WMC tool for my provider (YouSee), but don't seem to have the same for the OctoCast tool. They have transponder lists for download, but they changed the format to something quite a bit different and with many more parameters, so converting is not at all straightforward.

I probably have all the information I need to build the transponder file (since I have a playlist with URLs for all the channels), but it's a lot of work and everything is undocumented, so not sure if I want to spend the effort just to get a MP M3U (after all, I already have the M3U with all the channels.. I suppose I should be able to use that with MP without going through the OctoCast tool?)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you have the playlist and put it in the right place it will work with MP ;) what is more annoying on the octocast tool is that you have to wait every time until it did his update check. I already disassembled it and made it threaded, but they refused my patch :D you can also change a variable after disassembling to disable the ad

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom