Operating System HTPC + HDMI + Win7 and its many issues... (1 Viewer)

Harmani

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The same as running devcon rescan. This thread has more details about it.
    If it works. Then put the bat cmd in ur startup folder.
    Usually this works in those cases.

My setup is like this:
    Desktop PC with a main display and a secondary display which is the LCD TV, connected through an Onkyo AVR by (of course) HDMI.

I always had a hard time getting it all to function properly. Seems like turning off the Onkyo AVR makes the GPU think the HDMI-cable is completely disconnected. Which results in all windows incl MePo being moved to the primary display.

I had high hopes for the PIN19 trick. After getting it right I thought I nailed it, but noooo :( . The GPU does not detect if the AVR is turned off, which is good, but now I have to make sure the AVR is in the same on/off state as it was before my system entered standby mode. If not, Windows will somehow still detect it has turned off and all kind of problems arise. Most of the times MePo will force close as well. To get it fixed I first need to open Catalyst Control Center which will force detect connected devices and then restart MePo (major WAF killer!).

Now my question to you gibman, which of the following solutions do you think will work for me? Since you seem to have tried them all and have a similar setup, I think you would know ;)
    1. The devcon trick. I guess this works the same way as forced detection by CCC. So I guess it will only work if the AVR is turned on first? Still not ideal… System might wake unattended now and then.
    2. Dr. HDMI or HDMI Detective. Should fix all issues, but should be the last resort.
    3. I’ve read on some AV forums that a cheap but powered HDMI splitter could also keep the AVR signal alive? Have you (or anyone else) tried this?
    4. Your soldering trick. Seems golden! But do you think it would work in my situation?

Thank you in advance!

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    all I know is that my setup has worked ever since I tried the pin18-19 soldering hack job.

ATI gfx outputting (clone mode) to 2 devices, AVR and LCD.

the hacked HDMI dongle is then connected to the hdmi port of the ATI gfx that in turn is connected to the AVR.

The LCD TV has no issues, I can turn it on/off (standby button on the sony LCD tv).
    The AVR (yamaha) has been the real pain here - that was until I did this trick.

Doing the tape trick on a HDMI can in some cases leave the "fix" permanent on the cable. Tape / glue residing on the pin, even after you have removed it - or so you thought :)
    So you risk the cable, if you ever want to undo it.
    doing it in a HDMI adaptor, like the angle adaptor is probably better and safer.

I also use inf monitor drivers created by the "moninfo" utility. This is done for both of the devices, AVR and LCD.

I tried similar approaches on parents rig.

They have a ati hd6350 along with some newer denon AVR along with an older plasma TV from panasonic.
    In this case I was the same for you regardless of the solder pin 18-19 trick.
    It needed devcon onresume.

In the end I bought the Dr HDMI and all is good.
    Atleast I can vouch for this device :)

HDMI = something the devil himself invented.
    I had no HDMI issues until I was persuaded to go for a AVR hdmi setup as it had so many nice possibilities.
    Like playing games in 7.1 pure digital audio with one cable opposed to wiring up several analogue cables :)

so, it seems there is no 100% guarantee that these things will work.

but if you do the edid trick on both devices + soldering 18-19, then I guess the poor mans solution doesn't get more complete than this.

/gibman

lsf3og

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 15, 2010
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but if you do the edid trick on both devices + soldering 18-19, then I guess the poor mans solution doesn't get more complete than this.

/gibman

What is the edid trick? I thoight i read everything about trying to trick edid?

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    What is the edid trick? I thoight i read everything about trying to trick edid?

Download moninfo tool. Google it.
    Then attach only 1 device.
    Load moninfo. Then create monitor inf driver.
    Save the inf file with a name like avr.inf
    Do the same foe the tv. In this case you want the tv connected only.

Now u should have 2 inf driver files.
    Open device manager and look under the monitor category.
    Connect the avr only.
    In device man. U should see one generic monitor.
    Update this driver to the avr inf.
    Now do the same foe the tv. When u connect the tv u should see another generic monitor. As i said. Replace this with tv.inf

Done.
    The edid trick should always be carried out as it normally helps.
    Ive never seen it worsening things.

lsf3og

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 15, 2010
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your help allthough i'm not quite sure whether i understood the description completely.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok guys. 1.4 prerelease is out. It should fix a LOT of the issues described in here.

anyone tested it with the issues in the thread?

Please, post your results with that build for others as well.

Last edited:

lsf3og

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 15, 2010
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1.4 didn't change my problem (and it shouldn't have) , but a little soldering of pin 19 and 18 works for me.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Been running 1.4 pre rel and have not had the HDMI problem on any of my two computers since (for info look at my system specs).

lsf3og

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 15, 2010
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    had you use normal unchanged HDMI cable for testing? changes in 1.4 can't work if used pin19-tricked cable.

Maybe, but my only problem was audio stopping when switching off TV. The only way, besides spending 90€ seems to be soldering. But I just tested wrong resolution after switching off/on without the adapter and that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom