HTPC tease | Page 2

Discussion in 'General' started by Stéphane Lenclud, January 4, 2015.

1. edterbak
    • Team MediaPortal

edterbak Test Group

Researcher
    Ratings:
    +1,178 / 5
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    probably here too.
    But were only talking about decoding a file. You can still use the 1080p screen for that :)
    Im just wondering how good this all would do me...
    But thats off topic obviousely :)

Nice project there Stephane! Finished I hope..

• Like Like x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Stéphane Lenclud Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I don't see why handling 4k movie files would be a problem for a card with those specs anyway.

It should also be able to drive a 4k display with that DP. Though I don't really know what I'm talking about here :)

For rendering AAA games at 4k resolutions you better be looking at higher specs GPU. GTX980 is the big brother as I remember.

Thanks mate, that phase of the project is completed successfully from the hardware point of view.

CPU and case cooling is improved. Not that it was bad to start with :)
    VFD and IR both working great. That slot-in BD behaves much better than my former Sony Optiarc. Internal front facing CI module is looking good and working great too.

Though there is still much to do on the software side to make the most of that VFD. IR still needs a bit of work on both hardware and software side. I've been working on that with SIMEREC.

4. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

kiwijunglist Super Moderator

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,849 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
  5. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Definitely, but then again the whole box is overkill :)
    I don't think the fan on that PSU has ever been spinnin'

If someone ever builds an ATX PSU with a side exhaust silent fan so that it plays a better role in case cooling I'll take it. It will need miniaturized internals for optimized airflow.

I could attempt to mod something like that using a picoPSU but that's far at the bottom of my list. I have a trust issue with picoPSU I think.

Last edited: January 6, 2015
  6. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

kiwijunglist Super Moderator

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,849 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    Usually the psu has it's own external intake and exhaust so it has no influence on case air flow. I've heard that it's bad to let your PSU intake warm air from inside the case, though I think as long as the case isn't super hot I don't see the problem. My PSU fan is usually off anyway, it only goes on at 50% load. Yours look like a silverstone X850? I think it would do the same.

7. azzuro
    • Team MediaPortal

azzuro Test Group

technician HVAC
    Ratings:
    +4,251 / 13
    Home Country:
    France France
    Show System Specs
    i think small ATX more cheap ! 50€ for 350W 80+ Gold or 30-40€ for 80+ Bronze. with an 120mm fan.

for me, it's more intake. like you say, depend on temperature inside box case.
    if you have bad flow-air it's better to take it from external case.
    and PSU it's more efficient at 80% so using ( theorical ) bigger PSU is not fine.
    you can use this tool for help on the way of finding the good psu http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

8. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Some update about that graphics card.
    Since that hardware upgrade I did notice that my HTPC had a new annoying noise even when idle.
    I thought it was the new CPU heatsink and fans.

I was always going to replace the fans on that GPU to lower the noise while playing AAA games and got around doing it the other day.
    You can very easily unhook the fans' block from the heatsink.
    However the fan socket is located under the heatsink so I had to remove it to unplug the fans.
    Instead I plugged in that GELID PWM adaptor for VGA fans.
    I put back that stock heatink after redoing the thermal bound rather than using an aftermarket heatsink.
    As a replacement for ASUS stock fans I used that GELID PCI Slot Fan Holder with a couple of 12cm bequiet! fans.
    Admittedly I used blots and screws from an Alpenföhn Peter kit to help me attach the fans to the GELID frame but I could have done without it too.

Now my HTPC has recovered its very low noise signature both while idle and while doing intense CPU and GPU operations, read playing AAA games :)
    So it seems the annoying noise I had noticed before was due to those poor GPU fans after all, which means that for some reason they were spinning even when idle which I swear they were not doing earlier on. I also noticed the replacement fans are spinning even when idle too albeit quietly :)
    Maybe I messed up the fan management profile somehow...

• Like Like x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!