[Approved] IMDB.com (default info grabber) (1 Viewer)

pgjensen

Portal Pro
May 1, 2008
moviexml is broken and does not download ratings information for many movies. i used the default IMDB script and it pulled it up fine. I tried Gladiator (2000).

another example is hotel rwanda which should be PG-13 but marks Unrated.

i also think it's missing votes and a few other items with random movies from downloading where other scripts work.

the main IMDB script however, is not currently pulling the Plot while moviexml IS!

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can take a look at it.
    Can you check on the site and get me a few examples.

Online Movie Database - An open directory of Movies for HTPC software

Need to check that the site has the info you are after and show me where it is broken.
    Each of the defined searches uses a different site to gathers it's data, so it is quite likely that IMDB will hold different info about a movie than movie.xml

The good thing about movie.xml site is that it is user driven, so if you find something that is wrong you can log onto the site and change it.

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Just checked the moviexml script and it is working as designed.

Example:
    Gladiator (2000) - the xml info held on the site reports the MPARating as R which is captured by the script correctly

As I said before the movexml site is user driven, so if the informaiton displayed is incorrect go to the site and correct it (like people do with thetvdb.com for tvseries info)

hotel rwanda - again, noone on the site has rated it, go to the site and change it to PG-13

Votes - are again down to how many people have voted for a particular movie, not as many people use moviexml as IMDB so not all moveis will have been voted for.

The main reason I use moviexml is that the covers it pulls down are:
    1. For the correct movie (compared with usual movie scrapper which always pulls down weird and wonderful covers!)
    2. The coveres on the site are High res covers which look nice in MP.

I always have 2 grabbers in my search order, I refresh all my movies with moviexml first, then if I find one with rubbish info I tell it to rescan then choose the movie from IMDB which will pull it the correct info but keep my high res cover from moviexml. If you untick the option to get actor info this download only takes 1 second.

djphatic

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2008
    Home Country
    I always have 2 grabbers in my search order, I refresh all my movies with moviexml first, then if I find one with rubbish info I tell it to rescan then choose the movie from IMDB which will pull it the correct info but keep my high res cover from moviexml. If you untick the option to get actor info this download only takes 1 second.

How do you keep the high res cover from moviexml once you refresh using the IMDB script?

When using moviexml I have found that there is no plot info, so I refresh with IMDB which brings up a decent plot but then the high-res image disappears. This is within MP using IMDB option on the movie.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    Is there a site where you can enter the imdb id of a movie and it return high res movie art?

If not, I was thinking of creating a site like this (user maintained). The problem is, rather than actually hosting the images on the site, due to legal implications (copyright), it may have to be that they are just linked to (the image).

Then, to add an image, the user simply enters the imdb code, and the link to the image and it adds it to the database. It will be up to the scapping script to download the image from the link and crop it if nessesary (thinking about amazon images here).

It could be possible to have more than one image link returned, one on each line maybe.

What do people think of this idea?

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Ummm, that is what movie-xml site does really
    Online Movie Database - An open directory of Movies for HTPC software

It has IMDB number stored against each movie as well if you need that.
    The whole site is user driven so is only as good as the contributors.
    If everyone with MP switched to using it from IMDB and each updated a few movies that they found did not hold all the info they wanted it would be perfect in no time.

or if you want to create some sort of tool why not write a scrapper for IMDB that populates info into movie-xml site.

djphatic - no plot info? for any movies? If this is the case then something is broken. Must admit I have not used it lately as I am spending all my spare time (which is not a lot in the last 2 weeks) on the tvseries plugin, finding bugs and developing a new animated skin for it; but it will not take me a minute to fix this if there is a problem.
    I do all my updates through the setup app usually, so you can use that to switch covers.

I could, but am reluctant to, create a hybrid scrapper that gets movie info from IMDB and covers from moviexml; but that would not help out the moviexml site ethos and would lead to it disappearing; so I still believe the best thing to do is populate as much info into the moviexml site as possible.

Perhaps if someone modified the myMovies part of MP to be more like TVseries plugin then we could give users the ability to rate movies directly form MP back to moviexml (like tvseries plugin does with thetvdb.com) then that would encourage more users over to it?

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England

Yeah but can you search by imdb number? That's the whole purpose of what i suggested. IMDB is still the best for the information, it just doesn't have any decent art for it.

Yes you can, its a hidden interface that I dont mind sharing with you ;) You would need to parse the moviexml id then request the cover url but it does work.

Code:
    http://www.movie-xml.com/interfaces/getmovieimdb.php?imdb=tt0479884

Also we've been working over at the meedios forums on adding support for mistakes, quotes, dvdids, allmovieids and trivia.

There are still a few bugs to work out (like linebreaks in the xml and the imdb rating) but its coming together slowly. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom