IMDb+ Plugin 2.0.0.281 with IMDb+ Scraper v4.9.41 (1 Viewer)

RoXoR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2008
    B-W
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Only the title is german. The plot is english and I can't find a german plot on imdb anymore (also for other movies).
    Regardless if I find one, I will edit this post
    ---

I think that post is interesting:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/imdb/topics/translated_sites_now_redirecting_to_imdb_com

Content that was posted to the translated IMDb sites is not lost and will likely reappear on IMDb.com once we have implemented more localization functionality-- see here for more info.
    ---

Would it be possible to receive the german plot from the mobile API or something? Because the iOS App displays german informations.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Ok, so that explains it, they even 'announced' two weeks ahead of time they were going to ruin the experience on their website for all the non-English users. Who on earth makes a decision like that should be fired. All the users who provided the community content in their language for those German/French/etc sites now are forced to use a smartphone to view their results. Crazy I tell ya :cautious:

So try this one please: http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0770703/plotsummary

Do you get German summary there?

If yes, then please provide me with HTML sources on:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0770703/
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0770703/plotsummary

RoXoR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2008
    B-W
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    no unfortunately it's english :/

the only way I found to view german plot is to use the imdb app

Last edited:

Merlyn

Portal Pro
    July 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    FilmInfo+ still provides all German info. Though I only try imdb for summaries as a very last resort...

Btw, IMDB also did a "few" changes to the search result page, when no imdb-id is provided. I didnt sift through all the latest changes on IMDB+, but I had to amond the regex for how search results are identified, three times over the past two weeks. You might want to double check on there, too, before the next release. ;)

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Btw, IMDB also did a "few" changes to the search result page, when no imdb-id is provided.

Far as I know the changes I did in v4.4.8, v4.5.3, and v4.7.2 on Feb 19th and before still work to make searches work. Had to indeed come up with a lot of workarounds.

Just need to figure out a way to get the IMDb website to give me the German, French, Italian, Portugese and Spanish results again, or wait till they fix the localized system. Moronic that they switch to .com English version before they finish building that part of their code. Since a German user on a smartphone can get the IMDb app to work, there has to be a way, but it might be behind a secure authentication system that I can not replicate with a basic scraper-script.

RoXoR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2008
    B-W
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes I've already tried FilmInfo+, but I didn't like the title translation of some movies.
    Are there some changes done or does the scraper still handles like this sometimes?

I would like to continue using imdb+ because I really loved it. RoChess do you think you can fix the problem in near future? Or maybe add ofdb support?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Yes I've already tried FilmInfo+, but I didn't like the title translation of some movies.
    Are there some changes done or does the scraper still handles like this sometimes?

I would like to continue using imdb+ because I really loved it. RoChess do you think you can fix the problem in near future? Or maybe add ofdb support?

Based on the getsatisfaction link you posted, it sounds like IMDb is fully aware that they broke the system. As fast as they have adjusted things (as IMDb+ broke each time), I'm on the side of optimism in thinking that it will not be long until they fixed it.

That means I can then adjust IMDb+ to make it work for not just German again, but also Italian, French, Spanish and Portugese.

Now moving databases across systems (from imdb.de to imdb.com) when geo-loadbalancing is in play (Amazon definatly uses a ton of datacenters to run IMDb) it does take a few days/weeks versus a few hours. They then also have to code the system to handle the foreign summary. Of course since such a system is already in place (and functional for title), I do not expect it to take long. This is why I want to give them till next weekend to see if they will fix it and provide German/etc summaries as well on the IMDb.com website.

I found out a way for me to check via: http://www.4proxy.de/ and then loading http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770703/

So I already see the 'German' title that you would see, and hopefully this week I'll spot the summary working, so I can get to work. If anybody spots it before I do, then please let me know. At the same time responding to that getsatisfaction link might put more pressure on IMDb to fix it ASAP, but that will only help when the requests come from actual German users.

Maybe an idea for you to rile the troops :whistle:

Now if IMDb still did not fix things, then I'll indeed look into adding OFDb. This will only fix it for German users, but it is the easiest one to implement as there is a known functional IMDb-ID -> OFDb-ID method in use by FilmInfo+, and I'm already using such an external system for Dutch, Icelandic, and Swedish language support.

Last edited:

kjarrig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Iceland Iceland
    One thing RoChess, I've been using your great IMDB+ scraper for the Icelandic summary. Now (haven't giving me time to look into it), I will not get the summary when the film is imported, but if I use Refresh from the Movie Manager, I get the right summary?? Use the same scraper, so I think it is rather strange. Just to let you know, maybe you know something about this?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    One thing RoChess, I've been using your great IMDB+ scraper for the Icelandic summary. Now (haven't giving me time to look into it), I will not get the summary when the film is imported, but if I use Refresh from the Movie Manager, I get the right summary?? Use the same scraper, so I think it is rather strange. Just to let you know, maybe you know something about this?

Icelandic language uses a special system created for MovPic/IMDb+, example "Avatar" = http://kvikmyndir.is/xml/movingpictures/?id=0499549

It loads instant for me, and summary is still <plot>(summary)</plot> which is what I look for with IMDb+.

So what could have happened is that your internet connection to kvikmyndir.is was not 'as' good as it should have been, or perhaps their server has temporary issues. At code level I allow foreign websites such as this one 10 seconds to give me a response and then I give up and move on.

There is unfortunatly not much I can do about that at IMDb+ level, I mean I could keep repeating to get the info, but then you would have a spinning circle forever if there are indeed server issues on their end, or problems with your internet connection, ISP or the gateways between your ISP and the kvikmyndir.is server. In that case it is easier to manually do a refresh after you established that everything works again.

Now if this is something that happens a lot, then I could for example code in, "try it, if fail wait 30 seconds and try again", but this will severly slow down importing if there is indeed an issue somewhere. So see if you can find out if that is the case, otherwise I rather stick with "if it fails, manually try again at a later time when things work again".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom