[Finished] Improvements to Live TV playback rate matching - for testing (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What can I still test?
    I still think it would be worth trying to change or remove the Asus switches that you mentioned you are using. Try to simplify the network connections and configuration as much as possible.

[edit: Sorry, I should read more carefully! :oops:
    If changing the switch doesn't help then try to remove it.
    Always the key to solving problems is observing the patterns. Try to recognise what else is happening inside (and outside!) the systems when the pixellation is occurring.
    Is something - switch, NIC etc. - going into a "power saving" state?
    Is something other system or software using the network?
    If you have tried everything that is obvious, try also to think of the non-obvious possibilities. For example:
    Is there a microwave or other electronic device causing interference in the environment?
    Is the problem connected to overheating?
    Does the problem occur on specific days of the week, at specific times of day, or with a regular frequency (eg. every 3 minutes, every 20 minutes etc.)?
    etc.]

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What can I still test? Whence then come the disturbances, which then result in the pixelation? Perhaps I should mention that once they have occurred on a client, I have also sporadically on the other.

This does point to the cause of the problem being a common factor e.g. the server or the network switch.

If it was a client problem it is unlikely that it would happen on both clients at the same time.

Just to check - have you applied the registry mod detailed below to the clients (to change/disable MMCS network throttling) ?

To configure the throttling rate, change the value of the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry under the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\

Name : NetworkThrottlingIndex
    Value type : DWORD
    Value data : From integer 1 through integer 70 (Decimal) (Decimal)

By default, the value for the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry is set to 10. When the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry does not exist, the behavior resembles the default behavior. Network throttling can be completely turned off by setting the value to FFFFFFFF (hexadecimal). You must restart the computer after you make a change to the value of the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry.

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/948066

Palm_Maniac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2005
    Gießen, Hessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

No, the registry mod I have not carried out at the client. I'll try immediately. Only on the client or on the server?

On Sunday I changed the switch to the new 16Port gigabit switch. There is a DLink GO-SW-16G. In any case I have additional free ports now. Unfortunately, nothing has changed.

The server is available in our hobby room in the basement. Apart from the satellite multi-switch and a UPS there are no other electrical appliances that might disturb. The network cable runs on its way to the server almost alone, so no disturbances can in this way come into the network. The server and my client are directly on the same switch, the new and already on the old. The client in the living room depends on another switch connected to the main switch (the new) is connected.

Since the problems when they occur, occur when two clients, it will certainly not be the result of this constellation. So it looks like the pixelation always occur only in the evening, at least then the probability increases. I have just a TV program running on the pixelation evenings always occur, but so far there have been none. Absolutely clean for more than 1 hour.

Evening no other devices running on the network, during the day do not run well. Rather run less. The only thing that's different is the lighting control at the front door. The motion detector then switches when demand for the light. More me just does not occur to what then behaves differently. The front door is on the other side of the building and there runs no network cable or another data cable. Even if it is unlikely, but I'll turn off the lights tonight times. You never know yes. :)

And if there is a disturber of the evening, why does that then affect other stations from then only on certain stations from the? All stations are already written as I said ok, until the pixelation occur on one of the ProSiebenSat.1 stations. From then they also occur on the previously error-free channels.

Thanks to your changes, Owlsroost, there is only this problem with me. But that's what makes me now insane. :)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No, the registry mod I have not carried out at the client. I'll try immediately. Only on the client or on the server?

Clients - yes, definitely.

Server - not required, but won't do any harm, so you can apply it there also.

Palm_Maniac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2005
    Gießen, Hessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I got the Registry modification times made with my clients, and looked up a few hours now. I have to revise my previous finding. The pixelation occur during the day on if you look long enough. :( The change in Reg unfortunately showed no effect, but I will still perform this even with the other clients.

Palm_Maniac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2005
    Gießen, Hessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have carried out on all systems, the change in the registry. Unfortunately, that seemed not at all out. I must also correct. The pixelation occur not only at the stations of the ProSiebenSat.1 group, but also to others. These relate exclusively to HD channels.

On a note back I have the satellite multi-switch in its own outlet, before the UPS plugged in. Mostly I have the network cable and satellite lines differently moved and where available, updated drivers. No single measure has had a visible. The pixelation still occur, sometimes even very often. In a few weeks I will go one more time to the satellite dish and check the signal, even if I have this little hope that it is because.

Well, then I do not go on. If it can not be due to the software, what else can I do ... I can not think of anything else now. There go out of my equipment and the error sources where I can search. I can also use the network to not be further simplified, than to enjoy simple as a server and client on the same switch, it does not go yet. No cable is longer than max. 15m, more significantly shorter. The longest goes to the server in the basement and is a CAT6 cable.

In the near future the addition of 2 more clients take place, but as long as I do not have the problem under control, comes in to me somehow not feel like me to deal with it.

Other log files help but also unable to continue, or do you? The fault pattern is always the same. If so, then I deliver that. I am willing to do just about anything I somehow seems helpful.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    hello @Owlsroost :
    i think, the rework take more delay during the first initialization of TV player. compared to the official TSreader.
    after that, none error, maybe few glicth, but i think it's due to my signal TV.

Palm_Maniac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2005
    Gießen, Hessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Only the connections between the two clients and the server or network with all componets?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom