initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (8 Viewers)

pw6206

Portal Member
December 7, 2008
Hello, I am very new to the open source media center scene and really could use some help. I received my HD PVR a couple of days ago and have read all your posts and still can't seem to get it working and I don't know if I have set it up correctly. Can you please help with my questions?

I am running Vista 32bit w/SP1. The HD PVR is connected to a cable box using component cables and spdif audio. It works fine using the software that came with the unit. By playing around I can see the HD PVR in the TV Server configuration and when I try to preview the channel I can get audio but no video. this happens on all the SVHS/VHS channels that I preview.

What I would like to know is what is the newest procedure for installing your svn builds?
Do I install them by themselves or do I need to install something else first?
Also do I need to install the two files on the very first post or are those included witht the latest builds?

I guess I could just use a step by step guide to install and configure. If you could help that would be very appreciated. Thanks again for all your hard work.

ScaryBob

Portal Member
March 25, 2007
London, Canada
Home Country
Canada Canada
The files linked in Post 113 work for me, at least on a single seat server/client system. I installed them over RC3 and RC4 and they worked. Not sure about a clean install. The client does not work on a remote system but that is a common issue with RC4. I am hoping an RC4 SVN will fix that.

I tried disabling usertsp to get the remote client working with RC4 but had no luck with that.

I also tried a couple of recent RC3 SVNs and had another issue. Sound and picture were present. However, the top half of the picture was broken up and the bottom half was gray. Then the client would crash after about a second. I checked/reinstalled everything but still no luck. Files of different formats play fine. There were no obvious errors in the logs either. Any ideas what may be causing that?

pw6206

Portal Member
December 7, 2008
I fixed my no video problem by installing Power DVD 8. Now the video works but no audio. So this must just be a codec problem but for some reason the arcsoft codecs don't show up in media portal configuration. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the software that came with the hd pvr and also updated it to the newest drivers but still don't have audio. Again the arcsoft software shows video and audio without any problems.

Does anyone know how to add codecs into media portal (mainly the arcsoft codecs)?

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I fixed my no video problem by installing Power DVD 8. Now the video works but no audio. So this must just be a codec problem but for some reason the arcsoft codecs don't show up in media portal configuration. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the software that came with the hd pvr and also updated it to the newest drivers but still don't have audio. Again the arcsoft software shows video and audio without any problems.

Does anyone know how to add codecs into media portal (mainly the arcsoft codecs)?

When you say you installed the HD-PVR software, does that include the Arcsoft Total Theater? I think you have to install it to get the Arcsoft codecs...

pw6206

Portal Member
    December 7, 2008
    hmmm, I'm not sure. There is a program called TotalMedia Extreme that I thought was the main component. It has all the software to both capture and burn video. I will look more into it, maybe in my exitement I missed a cd or another program that I needed to install. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Ok, I looked through the software that was installed with TotalMedia Extreme and TotalMedia Theater is one of the software that gets installed during the installation. It seems to working fine. any other idea's.

pw6206

Portal Member
    December 7, 2008
    I finally got audio and video by installing the SAF codec pack so I am one step closer to getting it working. For some reason I get some bad shuttering with the video. Does anyone know if this is a codec setting problem? Also, what codecs are you guys using for video/audio?

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country

ScaryBob

Portal Member
    March 25, 2007
    London, Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I use Haali Media Splitter and ffdshow. They are both free and work well with a reasonably fast dual processor CPU.

Wile,
    Did you get a remote RC4 client working by disabling usertsp?

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    ScaryBob,
    To be honest, the Client RC3 & TV-Server RC4 combo has worked so well for me, I have not had the guts to try the RC4 upgrade again :) I may try this weekend on the client in my BR where it wont affect anyone else...

pw6206

Portal Member
    December 7, 2008
    Core AVC works well, thanks for the advice. I still don't know why the arcsoft codec don't show up in media portal but since Core AVC works then I will stick with that. I still get some shutter sometimes but so far so it is working decent enough. Now I just need to figure out the IR Blaster and EPG stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom