initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (2 Viewers)

garry

Portal Pro
December 11, 2005
California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
BTW - after playing with different codecs and updating the client SVN on my devices I seem to have gotten rid of the "gliches" mentioned in previous posts.

Also - pre-loading the graphs *seems* to be working - although I've had a few failures when switching between channels on DVB-T and the HD PVR - I'll keep testing and updating.

What codec are you using now?

korben

Portal Member
July 14, 2006
When i try to run the configuration, the HD PVR now shows up in the config utility, but I can't find any channels when I scan.

I'm using the s-video connection on the HD PVR and I can get everything to work fine in the Arcsoft programme, but not here.

garry

Portal Pro
December 11, 2005
California
Home Country
When i try to run the configuration, the HD PVR now shows up in the config utility, but I can't find any channels when I scan.

I'm using the s-video connection on the HD PVR and I can get everything to work fine in the Arcsoft programme, but not here.

Scanning isn't supported on the HD PVR since it is a capture device, not a tuner. You need to manually create analog channels and map them to the HD PVR.

korben

Portal Member
July 14, 2006

Scanning isn't supported on the HD PVR since it is a capture device, not a tuner. You need to manually create analog channels and map them to the HD PVR.

Can import an XML file from my XMLTV EPG importer?

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    BTW - after playing with different codecs and updating the client SVN on my devices I seem to have gotten rid of the "gliches" mentioned in previous posts.

Also - pre-loading the graphs *seems* to be working - although I've had a few failures when switching between channels on DVB-T and the HD PVR - I'll keep testing and updating.

The best playback I got was with the PowerDVD codec (But I only tested PowerDVD and ffdshow). What did you use?

I've temporarily switched back to my PVR-250 becuase the quality is a lot better than the HD PVR - but I can switch back and forth in a matter of minutes so I'm happy to keep testing new versions/settings etc.

Could you pls confirm the hard coded quality settings? Also do you know if the FPS is hard-coded or automatic??

timmy.com

Portal Member
    August 3, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Home Country
    OK, so I finally got everything all set up.

I'm using the Arcsoft codecs that came with the HD-PVRs. I have been unable to get channel changing working with DirecTVTuneService, so I tried IR Server Suite and I can't seem to get channel changing working that way either, so I'm going to troubleshoot that.

Here are my initial findings with the HD-PVRs:

1. Video Stutters a bit when first starting, but once its about 5-10 secs into it, it seems to play fine, as long as I don't do anything with OSD. Otherwise it's starts stuttering again.

2. I don't believe switching is working from HD-PVR to HD-PVR. Because if I press record on one channel and I change the channel, it just stays on the channel that I'm recording. Both DTV STBs are on different channels, so even though channel isn't working yet I should be seeing two different video programs.

3. After playing TV for several minutes (usually around 10-15), MP just shuts down. This has happened 3 times now.

4. In terms of PQ, I'm seeing the same as BKCH. Its slightly blurry. It's much sharper on SageTV, using the same codec.

What would you like me to do at this point? How can I gather diagnostics for you, to help you troubleshoot the multiple HD-PVR issues?

-t

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Here's an interesting tidbit - just for laughs I openned the old Hauppauge tweak tool while I had the HD PVR online - under the 250/350 tab I could see the HD PVR as a device - it showed me sharpness, hue, saturation etc - but not the temporal filters which I'm after.

I'm using the Arcsoft codecs that came with the HD-PVRs. I have been unable to get channel changing working with DirecTVTuneService, so I tried IR Server Suite and I can't seem to get channel changing working that way either, so I'm going to troubleshoot that.

1. Video Stutters a bit when first starting, but once its about 5-10 secs into it, it seems to play fine, as long as I don't do anything with OSD. Otherwise it's starts stuttering again.

2. I don't believe switching is working from HD-PVR to HD-PVR. Because if I press record on one channel and I change the channel, it just stays on the channel that I'm recording. Both DTV STBs are on different channels, so even though channel isn't working yet I should be seeing two different video programs.

3. After playing TV for several minutes (usually around 10-15), MP just shuts down. This has happened 3 times now.

4. In terms of PQ, I'm seeing the same as BKCH. Its slightly blurry. It's much sharper on SageTV, using the same codec.

What would you like me to do at this point? How can I gather diagnostics for you, to help you troubleshoot the multiple HD-PVR issues?

-t

Hi Timmy.com;

Just thought I'd share my experiences:

1. I didn't have your issue of stuttering when I use the OSD - do you think it could be either client CPU/memory or codec related?? (I'll install the arcsoft codec on one of my test devices tonight and feedback on quality - to give you a comparision.). (I did some times see artifacts in the stream for the first 1-2 seconds of playback).

3. I never experienced your shutdown issue - was it client or server? (BTW is your setup single seat or multi-seat??)

4. I'm surprised by the feedback on Sage - afaik the temporal filter settings are a capture side setting (rather than playback or codec related). very interesting.

timmy.com

Portal Member
    August 3, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Home Country
    Hey BKCH,

I'm testing with the following multi-seat setup:

TV SERVER:
    Dual Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz, 2992 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    4.00 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200 256MB
    (2) HD PVRs

CLIENT 1:
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz, 2992 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    2.00 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256 MB

CLIENT 2:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz, 2997 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    4.00 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 512MB

I haven't tested with CLIENT 2 yet. I'm seeing the OSD issues with CLIENT 1. It's not horrible, just slight stuttering while OSD is on.

The shutdown issue happens with CLIENT 1. Although I haven't reproduced it for a few hours now.

Out of curiousity, what STBs are you using? I'm still unable to get IR Server Suite to change channels on my DirecTV H20s. It's sending the signal to change channels because I see the blasters light up, but the STBs don't respond.

-t

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Hi Timmy.com - I'm using a Pace DC420NF (Branded for Foxtel). I had a lot of problems trying to get the IR suite to learn but when I used the pre-configured setup for my STB it worked like a charm.

Can you post the TV log from your TV Server (from setup to blast) and I'll compare the logs if you'd like.

garry

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2005
    California
    Home Country

The best playback I got was with the PowerDVD codec (But I only tested PowerDVD and ffdshow). What did you use?

I've temporarily switched back to my PVR-250 becuase the quality is a lot better than the HD PVR - but I can switch back and forth in a matter of minutes so I'm happy to keep testing new versions/settings etc.

Could you pls confirm the hard coded quality settings? Also do you know if the FPS is hard-coded or automatic??

I'm using the arcsoft codec, will try PowerDVD later today.

The quality settings should be whatever you selected in TME (Total Media Extreme). I have not yet figured out how to programatically set them, but the TME settings do seem to affect MP since I had to select the SPDIF input in TME to get SPDIF audio in MP.

-t

Are you running single-seat anywhere? That is all I have tried and it has been 100% stable.

I'm surprised you guys have had quality issues - mine looks almost as good as ATSC.

As for multiple HD PVRs - can you run the following SQL statement against your tv database and send me the result? Thanks.

select [name], devicePath from [card]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom