initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (4 Viewers)

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Some questions for anyone who has reliable performance from the HD-PVR:

1. What capture settings do you use? (I'm currently using: 10.9MB/s AC3)
    2. What display settings are you using? (I'm using 1080p)
    3. What brand video card are you using?
    4. Do you use SPIDF bypass output for audio??
    5. Do you see the errors above in your logs?
    6. How smooth is your experience??

The fact that I get a similar results even when I copy the file locally seems to rule out network and my TV server - so I'm assuming the issue is either client/video-codec/video-card/audio-codec. I also have 2 x Clients having the same problem - which suggests to me that it's not video-card or SPIDF related (because one device uses SPIDF and the other doesn't and they have different video cards nvidia ION vs Radeon)

The best performance I've been able to get yet is with SAFv5 - I'm seeing markedly better performance from SAFv5 than SAFv4. Here's one other interesting data point - live TV has much less stutter than recorded TV - very weird...

Any ideas at all??? I'm loosing hair and WAF fast!!!

Just a quick note, the first thing I would try is to bump the resolution of your HDPVR down to 720p. I have never been able to get 1080i to work correctly. My Screen resolution is set to 1080p, but the HDPVR is set to 720p (you can set that in the provided software.)

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Just a quick note, the first thing I would try is to bump the resolution of your HDPVR down to 720p. I have never been able to get 1080i to work correctly. My Screen resolution is set to 1080p, but the HDPVR is set to 720p (you can set that in the provided software.)

Hi WileECoyote - thanks again for posting :)

I'm not sure I follow - do you mean the capture settings on the HDPVR should be set to 720p?? I had a look in the arcsoft total media extreme but can't find a setting under "Device settings" or "format settings" that allows me to set a 1080p/1080i/720p type setting - where are you seeing this??

Thanks - I really appreciate you posting and trying to help :)

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Hi WileECoyote - thanks again for posting :)

I'm not sure I follow - do you mean the capture settings on the HDPVR should be set to 720p?? I had a look in the arcsoft total media extreme but can't find a setting under "Device settings" or "format settings" that allows me to set a 1080p/1080i/720p type setting - where are you seeing this??

Thanks - I really appreciate you posting and trying to help :)

Sorry, my bad... Its not set in the software, but on the Cable/Satellite box itself. Set the output to 720P on the STB.

:sorry:

EDIT: Also, be sure your STB is set to just Stereo and not Dolby Digital. As many on this forum have pointed out, if the audio is set to DD you might have stuttering issues.

Some questions for anyone who has reliable performance from the HD-PVR:

1. What capture settings do you use? (I'm currently using: 10.9MB/s AC3)
    2. What display settings are you using? (I'm using 1080p)
    3. What brand video card are you using?
    4. Do you use SPIDF bypass output for audio??
    5. Do you see the errors above in your logs?
    6. How smooth is your experience??

1. I currently use 13.0 mb/s AC3
    2. 1080P on the server, 720P on clients
    3. Nvidia 9600 GT on Server, Nvidia ION on one client, Intel HD Video on the other clients.
    4. I use SPDIF from the cable box to the HDPVR. (Some folks use the RCA cables due to stuttering issues.)
    5. Sometimes on change, but within a minute it works it out.
    6. Smooth as a baby's behind ;)

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    That's why I still had stuttering!! :oops:
    When I tried RCA cables I didn't change anything on my STB. Maybe I should give it another try.
    So I guess you only need to change STB and you can leave the PVR on AC3 audio?

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    That's why I still had stuttering!! :oops:
    When I tried RCA cables I didn't change anything on my STB. Maybe I should give it another try.
    So I guess you only need to change STB and you can leave the PVR on AC3 audio?

Yes.... In fact, even when I was having the stuttering issues I would not revert back to RCA, but rather turn off DD on my STB and that would clear up the issue.

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Woohoo - I have a usable HD-PVR- the key tip was from WileECoyote - I had to reduce the resolution of my STB from 1080i down to 720p... bummer to loose that resolution but AWESOME to have a working setup.

Does anyone know why 1080i = no good? Is it a HD-PVR issue?

THANK YOU WileECoyote!!

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Woohoo - I have a usable HD-PVR- the key tip was from WileECoyote - I had to reduce the resolution of my STB from 1080i down to 720p... bummer to loose that resolution but AWESOME to have a working setup.

Does anyone know why 1080i = no good? Is it a HD-PVR issue?

THANK YOU WileECoyote!!

Cool... Glad you got it working :)

It's sad, I too would like the added resolution but for some reason I have never got it to work correctly with 1080i. I used to be a Sage user, and 1080i worked better than 720P. And to be honest, if it werent for the extremely horrific GUI I would have never went looking and found MP. Sure glad I did :D

Good luck with the rest of your setup...
    Wile E.

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Argus doesn't support analog tuning yet. They might add support for it later but it's not their primary focus.

mguebert

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2010
    Home Country
    Yeah I keep hoping they will add it. I am using FTR with TVserver and would like to switch to FTR completely. However I have two HDPVR so I am stuck waiting and hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom