initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (9 Viewers)

Dale#1976

Portal Pro
September 21, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
I'm in the process of upgrading to Windows 7. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to installing the 64 bit version? My computer is only used for MP. It has 4 gig of ram.

Any comments would be appreciated!!

Thanks ... Dale

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I no longer use HDPVR's - I cut the cord completely for pay TV in fact, and go OTA now - but I've asked the 4TR devs about the HDPVR. Analog tuning sort of works, the problem right now is there is absolutely no interface or way to blast channels with Argus, which means until they add that HDPVR is a no go.

I'm in the process of upgrading to Windows 7. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to installing the 64 bit version? My computer is only used for MP. It has 4 gig of ram.

Any comments would be appreciated!!

Thanks ... Dale

No advantage, though I've been x64 for a while. Overall I find it to be more stable.

Dale#1976

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thank you Ixian:

I've had my HDPVR up and 'mostly' running on an XP server for over a year now. I've had more problems with the channel blasting than anything else ... using both IR blaster suite and the blaster in the HDPVR. Seems if I reboot my sytem daily the problems are minimized. I was hoping that upgrading my system to Windows 7 would eliminate many of the problems I've had over the past year. Guess I was hoping that upgrading to Windows 7 would be more stable. Thank you for your input about x64. If I'm going to upgrade then I'm inclined to go with x64. Just don't want to go to all that work and find out the MP works better on x32 version.

Thank you again .. Dale

ScaryBob

Portal Member
    March 25, 2007
    London, Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The main advantage to using X64 is that it will let the OS access all available RAM. Win7 requires lots of RAM so that can be a consideration. With a 32-bit OS, the maximum address space is 4GB. That means the amount of usable RAM is 4GB - Video RAM - Mapped ROM. That usually works out to something close to 3GB which is enough to run MP on Win7. OTOH, there is really no reason to not use x64 unless you have critical hardware or software that won't run on x64.

Dale#1976

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thank you ScaryBob ... Yep, I installed Win 7 X64. Everything was great except my video cart, ATI 9600 AGP x8, isn't fully supported in Win 7. It showed up in the testing as being compatible but it won't output to the TV as it did in XP. Really wish I had known that before installing it. Guess I'll be upgrading my multimedia system pretty quick.

Anyone got a 'cheap' AGP x8 video card that is FULLY Win 7 compatible? If so, can you let me know what it is?

Does anyone have 2 HD PVRs running on a single server in Win XP or Win 7?

Thanks!!

Dale

PABeaver

Portal Member
    November 12, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Dale

I believe someone in this thread is using 2 HD-PVR's and it was working fine. One issue you will run into, is using more than one hauppage blaster, as I have not seen anything that can distinguish between them and blast separate boxes. I personally use firewire as it is very effective and might help solve the other blaster issues you mentioned earlier. Here is a guide if you are interested:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/.../change-channels-your-stb-via-firewire-70929/

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Dale

I have 2 and I know a few others also. Like PABeaver said, the Hauppage blasters won't work though. I bought a USB-UIRT which has 3 blasters, 1 internal and the ability to plugin 2 more external ones. You need to cut off the end of the blaster wires you have so you can rewire them to a stereo headphone jack rather then the mono they currently have. I then use IR Server Suite to do the blasting and to receive the IR commands from my remote.

Dale#1976

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi PABeaver .. It's nice to know that you can get 2 HD PVRs working on one system. I'm using 'Star Choice' which is now Shaw. The tuners are Motorola which don't have firewire ports, so I guess that isn't a possibility. Sure wish it was because a direct connection is always a better choice in my opinion.

SJeffrey ... I will probably buy a USB - UIART because my blasting has not been at all dependable using the MicroSoft blasters that came with my Hauppuage 150 cards. I've got to reboot once a day to be sure they blast for scheduled programs.

Since installing Windows 7 then finding out my video card wasn't supported, then doing a clean install of Windows XP again, my live TV hasn't been working. I'm now trying to get it back to the basic setup I've been using for the past two years. My main system with both TV server and a TV client.

I'm using the Hauppauge blaster for now and it is blasting the channels properly.

When I select a channel or just turn on live TV the first thing that happens is the blue light on the HD PVR lights up for about two seconds then goes out. The channel on my satelite changer is blasted the proper channels, then nothing happens. I get the error 'no video detected/ no audio detected.

It appears the HD-PVR is detected but does not turn on after the channel is blasted. TME works perfectly and is updated to the latest version along with the drivers for the HD-PVR.

I've done a number of uninstalls and reinstalls of MP and today I did a complete uninstall and put on the latest MP 1.1 RC6. No change. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for your help with the blasters ... Any suggestions to get my HD-PVR going is appreciated.

Dale

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    What you describe doesn't sound like a blaster issue.
    I bet if you turn off the blaster plugin you will get the same error.
    I think the error you got is codec related or try power cycling your hd-pvr.

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Hi Guys - I see Hauppauge have new drivers out - has anyone given them a crack?? (1.5.7.0 - see Support for HD PVR)

Update:

I've upgraded to 1.5.7.0 - no undue effects as yet. Had to reboot HD PVR after upgrade (and system reboot).

Have been having a weird issue every few days whereby HD PVR needs a reboot - am hoping this update might fix that (although I suspect it could be a h/w fault.

Also plan to try 1080i (am currently using 720p) might be the weekend before I get a chance to try but will update here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom