initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (6 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The key point is that it is not easy to know what features the broadcaster uses so you can't check against the codec and video card...

I guess that in this case the 'broadcaster' resolves to 'Haupauge' though, right - since the HD PVR is doing the conversion into h.264 regardless where the original signal comes from? Since there is only the one, wouldn't that make it easier to accomplish?

Correct, the "broadcaster" is Hauppauge. Yes you'd think it would make it easier, however Hauppauge may have tweaked their encoder parameters over time like regular broadcasters also do. That was what I was aluding to when I mentioned driver, hardware and firmware revisions.

All things being said, I absolutely encourage you to give it a shot. Even if things don't work out perfectly, I will always be willing to offer advice (as, I'm sure, will others that monitor this forum) and tweak TV Server if support for the HDPVR can be improved. That is in everyone's best interests ;)

Blue Energy

Portal Member
    December 15, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I would like to thank all of the people who have responded to my requests for a transfer of personal experience and advice: Ixian, mdg78, garry, sjeffrey, and, most especially, WileECoyote and mm1352000. I still believe that, as HD PVR users, we could zero-in more exactly on required specs for HD PVR use by quantifying hardware used in successful and unsuccessful systems. But, I guess that's not going to happen. Or - maybe everyone is just involved in Xmas for now.

mm1352000 - I will be giving it a shot. And I appreciate your offer of support very much. Please do stay tuned.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Blue Energy,
    A few things to think about. When looking for a video card I always looked at NVidia. But since the new audio codecs (dts-ma, true-hd, dts-hd, etc.) I recently purchased an ATI 5750 so I could bitstream to my receiver. Not sure if this is a consideration for you, but something to think about.

As far as a direct comparison of systems, I think there are many factors. For insance, you are only thinking about hardware but what are most people's HD-PVR settings? Variable bitrate? Constant Bitrate? Default, Low, Medium or High bitrates? Dolby Digital Enabled? AC3 or AAC audio? RCA or Fiber audio connection? Many things to consider....

My settings:
    Bitrate Mode - Variable bit rate average
    Bitrate - Medium
    Custom settings - Value = 50%, Peak Value = 75%
    Dobly Digital - Disabled at the STB & the HD-PVR Arcsoft Software
    Audio Mode - AC3 (Set in the Arcsoft Software)
    Audio Connection - Fiber

Wile E.

rojoyinc

Portal Pro
    December 27, 2010
    Whats the status on this? I read through the first dozen pages of msgs from 2008 - WHEW - jumped to the end hoping to find the "nity grity".

Is there a download (initial download files aren't there). Whats needed to see the HD-PVR in MP? thanks! (I've jumped around to about 3 different theads, but most are older).

Ron in Michigan

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Whats the status on this? I read through the first dozen pages of msgs from 2008 - WHEW - jumped to the end hoping to find the "nity grity".

Is there a download (initial download files aren't there). Whats needed to see the HD-PVR in MP? thanks! (I've jumped around to about 3 different theads, but most are older).

Ron in Michigan

Everything is included in the latest MP release 1.1.2 (You can find the download on the main MP home page, or in the Download menu above.)

rojoyinc

Portal Pro
    December 27, 2010
    I've downloaded 1.1.2 (been playing with it - scanning my video dirs now) etc. But I don't see the HD-PVR in the tv section. Is there something else that needs to be done to see it?

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    I presume you have installed the hardware and installed the latest HD-PVR drivers? Can you see the hardware in Control Panel? If so, then you should be able to see the hardware under TV Servers in the TV Configuration (not MP Configuration.)

rojoyinc

Portal Pro
    December 27, 2010
    Oh thanks - that helps. I did look in the TV-server config and nope - nothing there.
    I thought for sure I had installed latest drivers...
    looking.

I don't see anything in control panel. (is it suppose to add a icon?)
    In device manager I see it under sound,video and game controllers.
    Is that what you mean by control panel?

In dev manager I see

Hauppauge HD PVR (Capture) vers 1.5.7.0
    and "" """ """ (Tuner Device) vers 1.2.28271.0

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Oh thanks - that helps. I did look in the TV-server config and nope - nothing there.
    I thought for sure I had installed latest drivers...
    looking.

I don't see anything in control panel. (is it suppose to add a icon?)
    In device manager I see it under sound,video and game controllers.
    Is that what you mean by control panel?

In dev manager I see

Hauppauge HD PVR (Capture) vers 1.5.7.0
    and "" """ """ (Tuner Device) vers 1.2.28271.0

Yes, when I said Control Panel I was referring specifically to the Device Manager. It looks like your hardware is installed correctly.

In the TV Server Config, if you expand "TV Servers" you should see your server host name or IP. If you expand that you should see the HD-PVR.

Blue Energy

Portal Member
    December 15, 2010
    Home Country
    As far as a direct comparison of systems, I think there are many factors. For insance, you are only thinking about hardware but what are most people's HD-PVR settings?

Thanks, WileE - I do plan to get to that. But, I don't even own the hardware it will run on yet and, with the exception of your video, I have never seen it running - so I don't have informed questions about it yet. I almost certainly will in a few days though...

I think that maybe you were suggesting that it would be good for people to put that stuff out here to try to discover relationships between settings and success. I, for one, think that is a great idea. But, we'll need to collect enough data though before we can do something with it. People either haven't noticed my request or else are not interested in participating in that study.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom