(Inofficial) New release major updates - NOW WITH SOURCE CODE :) (1 Viewer)

Atreides

Portal Pro
June 28, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Yeah that is awesome! This plugin is great and hopefully someone can carry it on.

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
+1
Yes please!!!
I REALY REALY like this version. If only the bug with 2+ console types is solved. I WOULD use it. :) Getting db crashes and disapearing console types after adding them.. :(

Hope someone is interessted in the job :)

bobtheamazing

Portal Member
February 10, 2010
Home Country
I PMed MrFrosty Because Atreides had suggested it, and I had for a while wanted to work on this. In fact this version does a bunch of things I had Half-implemented from the original source. Since MrFrosty was so generous as to share the source I will see what I can do with it.

A little bit about myself. I am an Application developer/ Software Engineer at a major Medical Software Company. I work with mostly .NET at work, implementing things in VB.NET and Silverlight. I am fluent in roughly 20 Programming languages, ranging from C to C#, Java to Perl. I would say my favorite language is C# which works quite nicely.

If anyone else wants a piece of improving this, by all means, let's get together and do it together. Just PM me and we can get some kind of a team environment going (Version Control, ETC)

One of my first priorities would be to see if we cannot get the minor issues resolved and merge this into the main My Emulators base. There is no point in wasting time by having forked code if both are having things tweaked.

Next priorities as I see them:
-Auto approve, or at least auto select the correct emulator to allow mass updates of game info. I have 1000's of games, and manually is just too slow haha
-Clean DB option
-Some neat way to export/keep track of gameID to game title.
-Minor tweaks in the scraper to make it look for common variations. This will go with the mass update, since the match rate needs to be very good for it to work. It is good,but it needs a nudge

That is what I have identified. This thing is so near perfection, I think with just a few tweaks we can get it the rest of the way!
Please post:
-Suggestion of things that should be implemented/fixed
-Priorities of those items.

I may start a new thread at some point with polls and such, but for now please just post in this thread. I will look at all the suggestions and base my priories on that.

drealit

Portal Pro
March 15, 2008
Glad to see someone already stepping up! This is fantastic news and I'm glad you found something you seem very fond/interested in to work on here at the community (if only I could find somewhere to settle in!).

bobtheamazing

Portal Member
February 10, 2010
Home Country
It's not a coincidence that I stepped up right after Frosty released the Source ;-)

I asked him to. I am SO glad he did. I only hope I can keep the quality he brought to this update at the same level he did!

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
WELCOME bobtheamazing!!! I see you are a fresh member of the MediaPortal community. I hope you like mediaportal. Enjoy your time here.

I am glad to see this amazing plugin is not going to be wasted/forgotten over time. :)

Current bug:
Last time I tried the myemulators from this thread, there was a bug present. Dont really know if it still there. Hope not ofcourse.
After adding a third console type, one of the already present consoles (PC or SNES etc) would just disappear from the entries list (see rightside of the screenshot below.
version3_1.jpg

Note that the screenshot is probably not corresponding to actually the version in this thread. But the idea is clear.

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
November 9, 2008
Arendal
Home Country
Norway Norway
bobtheamazing
this sounds amazing. I can't help you with programming, but i have some ideas for the GUI. I think it should look like tv-series, just that the emulator/console replaces the series, skip the seasons, just straight to the "episodes", which in this case would be the roms. In previous versions we had problems with this in skinning, so there have to be some different options in the emulator selection menu and the rom selection menu. There should also be more options for each emulator, like a definition of coverformat. like N64 and SNES has a "widescreen" look and most others has a DVD-cover look more or less. There should also be a info tag for each emulator so the skin can display some neat info on the screen.

I know much of this is up to the skinners, but more data is needed to make a good skin for this plugin. I've tried a little to make a skin for StreamedMP earlier (i'm a skinning rookie :p), but stumbled upon some problems back then due to lack for data to grab.

Anyways, just suggestions from my side, GL with developing this plugin, it's a must in my future complete HTPC system :D

bobtheamazing

Portal Member
February 10, 2010
Home Country
I can confirm that with this version and 1.10 that more than two consoles work fine. If you still are experiencing this issue, try a clean install of 1.1 and this plugin. Don't bother installing My Emulators first, just do this one to test. :D

hulkhaugen:

I plan on fixing functionality issues first and foremost. I will ensure that the skinning API is robust, but I am going to leave the themes to the people that have some sense of graphical creativity ;-)

hulkhaugen

Portal Pro
November 9, 2008
Arendal
Home Country
Norway Norway
sounds good, i don't expect you to make the skins, just give skin devs the possibilities to make it as complete as possible. Unless some good skin devs do it themselves, i will give it my best shoot at the Maya skin for this plugin ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom