Installation failing

Discussion in 'General' started by TonyR63, November 8, 2018.

1. TonyR63

TonyR63 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Installation of MP2 is failing on Window 7 pro with the following error.
    MP2-Server failed to start. Verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services"
    I have DirectX and the .NET 4.7.1 distributable installed. I'm logged in as Admin running the installation.

What is the MP Installer (Deploy Tool) how do I download it? Is it required before installation as the documentation is implying it is.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TonyR63

TonyR63 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Hi

Thanks for your suggestions.

I did tick off the restrictions and even changed the properties to run as administrator. I have spend 5 hours so far trying to run a simple installation program.
    I wont go into all the other stuff I tried and i have read through numerous threads and a lot of your WIKI
    The MP2 setup program runs to near completion and then cannot start the services it itself installed.
    The privileges error message it produces is dubious as the text of the message is misleading - you may not have sufficient privileges to start services!
    "You" I presumes means the logged in user whereas it is accurate to state the installation program cannot start the services. The installation program should check first for all critical prerequisites BEFORE proceeding to copying files and should be able to start services it itself installed.
    I have attached the log files you have requested except Setup package Main with did not complete the upload i presume it was too big.

Attached Files:

• MP2-Setup.log
      File size:
      13 KB
      Uploaded:
      November 8, 2018
      Views:
  4. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 21
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    We require the full log. Zip is your friend.

It does.

Well, if the installer is not completing, it will be difficult to start the software.

5. aspik
    • Team MediaPortal

aspik Development Group

Ratings:
    +547 / 1
    in particular the MP2 Server log.

6. TonyR63

TonyR63 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Hi HTPC Sourcer

Concerning the comment "Well, if the installer is not completing, it will be difficult to start the software."
    At the end of the installation process where MP2 setup reports "Starting Services" it fails to start services with the error messages reported. I presume the installer would not try to start services until it is past the state of installing the services it is trying to start. I don't understand the relevance of the comment "Well, if the installer is not completing, it will be difficult to start the software."
    If as you say the installer checks for prerequisites why have so many of these problems been resolved by manually installing prerequisite software,as shown by review of the forum? It would appear the installer has failed to adequately check for software subsequently manually installed resolving the reported problem suggesting the prerequisite validation part of the installer requires further development?

I have attached a zip of the main log file as requested.

Attached Files:

7. aspik
    • Team MediaPortal

aspik Development Group

Ratings:
    +547 / 1
    @TonyR63
    could you please post the MP2-Server log? You can find it in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\

8. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 21
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    "Many" is relative. Nobody tells you that the he/she was successful in installing the software. You only get to know about the cases that don't work. In your case all prerequisites are successfully installed.

Looking at the log files the issue is related to Windows firewall settings:
    Mh, this would suggest that the Windows Firewall service is not running at all. What is the status of this service in your Windows system?

9. TonyR63

TonyR63 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Hello
    Windows firewall is on showing green and as far as I can see is at its default standard settings. I have never tried to configure any rules or do any changes to windows firewall.
    Its showing Home or work (private) networks Connected - Public networks not connected.

Do I have to explicitly allows Media Portal 2 access using "Allow a program or feature through Windows firewall? I don't recall any instructions to make firewall changes prior to running your setup program?

Attached Files:

• Server.log
      File size:
      23.3 KB
      Uploaded:
      Monday
      Views:
  10. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 21
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    No.

So the service is running. Weird, the error message is clearly related to the installer not being able to control the firewall service..

Can you check the Windows event log for errors during the setup process? You can also use the LogCollector icon on your desktop to gather and zip all logs automatically.

Last edited: November 12, 2018 at 10:47
  11. TonyR63

TonyR63 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Hi

Because the installation did not complete and has to be rolled back I do not have the LogCollector icon on my desktop to gather and zip all logs automatically.
    Here are the Application event log filtered on errors and the Media Server services event log.

Attached Files:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!