[solved] Installation failing (1 Viewer)

TonyR63

Portal Pro
December 1, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Installation of MP2 is failing on Window 7 pro with the following error.
MP2-Server failed to start. Verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services"
I have DirectX and the .NET 4.7.1 distributable installed. I'm logged in as Admin running the installation.

What is the MP Installer (Deploy Tool) how do I download it? Is it required before installation as the documentation is implying it is.

TonyR63

Portal Pro
December 1, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi

Thanks for your suggestions.

I did tick off the restrictions and even changed the properties to run as administrator. I have spend 5 hours so far trying to run a simple installation program.
I wont go into all the other stuff I tried and i have read through numerous threads and a lot of your WIKI
The MP2 setup program runs to near completion and then cannot start the services it itself installed.
The privileges error message it produces is dubious as the text of the message is misleading - you may not have sufficient privileges to start services!
"You" I presumes means the logged in user whereas it is accurate to state the installation program cannot start the services. The installation program should check first for all critical prerequisites BEFORE proceeding to copying files and should be able to start services it itself installed.
I have attached the log files you have requested except Setup package Main with did not complete the upload i presume it was too big.

Attachments

• MP2-Setup.log
    13 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    except Setup package Main with did not complete the upload i presume it was too big.
    We require the full log. Zip is your friend.

The installation program should check first for all critical prerequisites BEFORE proceeding to copying files
    It does.

and should be able to start services it itself installed
    Well, if the installer is not completing, it will be difficult to start the software.

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi HTPC Sourcer

Concerning the comment "Well, if the installer is not completing, it will be difficult to start the software."
    At the end of the installation process where MP2 setup reports "Starting Services" it fails to start services with the error messages reported. I presume the installer would not try to start services until it is past the state of installing the services it is trying to start. I don't understand the relevance of the comment "Well, if the installer is not completing, it will be difficult to start the software."
    If as you say the installer checks for prerequisites why have so many of these problems been resolved by manually installing prerequisite software,as shown by review of the forum? It would appear the installer has failed to adequately check for software subsequently manually installed resolving the reported problem suggesting the prerequisite validation part of the installer requires further development?

I have attached a zip of the main log file as requested.

Attachments

• MP2-Setup_000_MainPackage.7z
      984.9 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If as you say the installer checks for prerequisites why have so many of these problems been resolved by manually installing prerequisite software,as shown by review of the forum?
    "Many" is relative. Nobody tells you that the he/she was successful in installing the software. You only get to know about the cases that don't work. In your case all prerequisites are successfully installed.

Looking at the log files the issue is related to Windows firewall settings:
    ExecFirewallExceptions: Installing firewall exception2 MP2-Client TCP Domain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\MP2-Client.exe)
    ExecFirewallExceptions: Error 0x800706d9: failed trying to find existing app
    Mh, this would suggest that the Windows Firewall service is not running at all. What is the status of this service in your Windows system?

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello
    Windows firewall is on showing green and as far as I can see is at its default standard settings. I have never tried to configure any rules or do any changes to windows firewall.
    Its showing Home or work (private) networks Connected - Public networks not connected.

Do I have to explicitly allows Media Portal 2 access using "Allow a program or feature through Windows firewall? I don't recall any instructions to make firewall changes prior to running your setup program?

Attachments

• Server.log
      23.3 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do I have to explicitly allows Media Portal 2 access using "Allow a program or feature through Windows firewall?
    No.

Windows firewall is on showing green
    So the service is running. Weird, the error message is clearly related to the installer not being able to control the firewall service..

Can you check the Windows event log for errors during the setup process? You can also use the LogCollector icon on your desktop to gather and zip all logs automatically.

Last edited:

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi

Because the installation did not complete and has to be rolled back I do not have the LogCollector icon on my desktop to gather and zip all logs automatically.
    Here are the Application event log filtered on errors and the Media Server services event log.

Attachments

• App Event Log.txt
      822.1 KB
    • Media Services Event Log.txt
      49.8 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom