iPiMP 5.1.0 is released (2 Viewers)

j1nx

Portal Pro
July 16, 2005
Re: Re : iPiMP 5.1.0 is released

adding the
-maxrate 256k -bufsize 256k
looked good for about 30 seconds, then it climbed up to 1.2mb again, then settled at around 1mb, and then seems to have settled out at ~400-500k (while watching Jools Holland :)

What if you remove the "crf=24" from the preset file? This is a variable bitrate parameter.

webcris77

Portal Pro
October 31, 2008
Home Country
Italy Italy

adding the
looked good for about 30 seconds, then it climbed up to 1.2mb again, then settled at around 1mb, and then seems to have settled out at ~400-500k (while watching Jools Holland :)

What if you remove the "crf=24" from the preset file? This is a variable bitrate parameter.

NOT GOOD...SAME ISSUE WITH THIS

PARAMITER

NEW FFMPEG
ffmpeg_dxva :D

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    oh man how did i miss this..gunna try this update tonight

1 thing i would love to see added in the future is a way to make MP wake from standby(s3) for when MP is actually on standby and im out and about =)

i think thats what the powerscheduler support u mentioned in the upcoming changes?? please that would be amazing..or perhaps there another app i can put on my "always on" pc in the other room to make my MP pc wake up somehow...i like to put my MP pc to sleep when im not using it

j1nx

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2005

adding the looked good for about 30 seconds, then it climbed up to 1.2mb again, then settled at around 1mb, and then seems to have settled out at ~400-500k (while watching Jools Holland :)

NOT GOOD...SAME ISSUE WITH THIS

PARAMITER

NEW FFMPEG
    ffmpeg_dxva :D

It's hard to get a perfect constant bitrate with the x264 codec as it is designed to be variable bitrate. You could try to add the "-bt" parameter which means the amount of shift in bitrate which is allowed.

But question for you webcris77, how many FPS to you get while encoding? Is it working over wifi? I mean, maybe you have a similar problem as me, encoding at a speed less than 25fps, while playing at 25fps. At some point you catch up on the encoding part.

@Cheezey: I heared the 1.2 branch of VLC should also be ready for http live encoding for the iphone and includes the encoding and segmenting into one binary. Therefor should work with any web service. Did you ever tried that one as well? It might be in the end beter to have only one encoding streaming instance for all media (dvd, movies, music, dshow device, etc.). You could do some browser sniffing and based on that parameter start a certain vlc process for either a mobile device or browser.

EDIT: Wow, they already wrote information about it on there wiki; http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo/Streaming_for_the_iPhone (saves you the search, if needed)

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

@Cheezey: I heared the 1.2 branch of VLC should also be ready for http live encoding for the iphone and includes the encoding and segmenting into one binary. Therefor should work with any web service. Did you ever tried that one as well? It might be in the end beter to have only one encoding streaming instance for all media (dvd, movies, music, dshow device, etc.). You could do some browser sniffing and based on that parameter start a certain vlc process for either a mobile device or browser.

EDIT: Wow, they already wrote information about it on there wiki; http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo/Streaming_for_the_iPhone (saves you the search, if needed)

I've downloaded a VLC 1.2 build and quickly tried it out and I noted the following:

• There's a bug when it tries to update the index m3u8 file, after it is initially created, subsequent updates are made to a .tmp file, this .tmp file should be renamed to .m3u8 but that fails on windows.
    • Using the example on the wiki you have to change the single quotes ' to double quotes "
    • The resulting stream would not play on my iPhone, probably just some parameter tweaks needed though

If this makes it into VLC 1.2 final and has the bugs ironed out then it could quite possibly be used instead of SmoothStreaming/FFMpeg, iPiMP could select differing VLC command line parameters depending on the output required (Apple, Flash etc..)

I also tested a TV Server RTSP input and that worked as well as a movie file.... which is nice. :) At the moment iPiMP uses MPWebServices to copy from an RTSP stream into the ffmpeg input pipe.

j1nx

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2005

I've downloaded a VLC 1.2 build and quickly tried it out and I noted the following:

• There's a bug when it tries to update the index m3u8 file, after it is initially created, subsequent updates are made to a .tmp file, this .tmp file should be renamed to .m3u8 but that fails on windows.
    • Using the example on the wiki you have to change the single quotes ' to double quotes "
    • The resulting stream would not play on my iPhone, probably just some parameter tweaks needed though

If this makes it into VLC 1.2 final and has the bugs ironed out then it could quite possibly be used instead of SmoothStreaming/FFMpeg, iPiMP could select differing VLC command line parameters depending on the output required (Apple, Flash etc..)

I also tested a TV Server RTSP input and that worked as well as a movie file.... which is nice. :) At the moment iPiMP uses MPWebServices to copy from an RTSP stream into the ffmpeg input pipe.

I also did some extra reading. Not yet tested anything, but indeed discovered both of your bugs as well.
    This guy: Graffen's Blog | Publishing video content to your iPhone using HTTP Live Streaming with VLC worked around the rename bug by doing it himself. I read on the vlc forums that more people are doing like this. They are working on the rename stuff, it's just windows who is not so forgiving about renaming while in use. The nice thing about his way is that I realised vlc can also just duplicate the stream for internal use as well. So while encoding the whatever stream/file you requested, why not as well push it raw onto the network as well.

I read about the quotes in the forum, glad you figured that out on yourself. A lot of people could not get it to work because the wiki automatically added some extra quote while posting :)

Anyway, will also do some testing tonight. :) If vlc can do it, it might be the lost puzzle piece, to use the cassini mpwebservices small footprint webserver for all streaming purposes.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Anyway, will also do some testing tonight. :) If vlc can do it, it might be the lost puzzle piece, to use the cassini mpwebservices small footprint webserver for all streaming purposes.

Cool - let us know about your test results.

Also - rather than cassini - we should look at IIS Express, again a small footprint - but with the capabilities of IIS7.x - much more feature rich than cassini but still small/portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom