Operating System IR Receiver (USB) not functioning after standby (2 Viewers)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Try´d to restart the eHome Receiver with Devcon
    Using devcon.exe (Build 10.0.10240.16399) I am able to disable and subsequently reenable the eHome entry in the Device Manager. Doing this while the IR receiver is functional leads to the remote first not working and then operating again. Unfortunately applying the same to a non-operational IR after resume does not reestablish the functionality.

Just a suggestion, but sometimes going into Windows power settings, advanced, and changing the 'USB selective suspend' setting can help with devices not working after resume.
    I have been playing extensively with all energy settings etc. of the device and the USB hubs.

The problem must lie deeper within the system. It is very strange though that the remote 2.4G wireless keyboard, which uses its own receiver is not affected by the standby/resume cycles. The issue must therefore be with the eHome device management of Windows.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    KB953367 describes a Win 7 registry setting in case of USB standby problems:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive

Change the value of AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads to 2.I did that and we'll see if this has an effect.

Edit: NOT WORKING

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The IRSS code closes receiver and blaster devices/ports on suspend and reopens them on resume. I assume the same would be required for MediaPortal, but I don't know if it's actually implemented. If it isn't, reopening MediaPortal would probably restore functionality, but nothing else (including devcon restarts) would.

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just a suggestion, but sometimes going into Windows power settings, advanced, and changing the 'USB selective suspend' setting can help with devices not working after resume.

Tried that the last Days. It does not help.[DOUBLEPOST=1448350073][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The IRSS code closes receiver and blaster devices/ports on suspend and reopens them on resume. I assume the same would be required for MediaPortal, but I don't know if it's actually implemented. If it isn't, reopening MediaPortal would probably restore functionality, but nothing else (including devcon restarts) would.

No, restart (Close and Open) MP does not Help. The only thing that works a disconnect via USB Cable.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I thought about this too and the one thing that I have not yet checked is if the remote problem is restricted to MediaPortal. As far as I remember I did try in the past if restarting MP helps - it didn't.

Unfortunately I forgot to verify if the remote is recognized within Windows when MP was not reacting to it this morning.

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I thought about this too and the one thing that I have not yet checked is if the remote problem is restricted to MediaPortal. As far as I remember I did try in the past if restarting MP helps - it didn't.

Unfortunately I forgot to verify if the remote is recognized within Windows when MP was not reacting to it this morning.

In my case the Remote is also NOT Working Outside MP. I have a Logitech Keyboard connected to my Ultimate Remote for Texing, its Cursor Keys are send via IR and this is also not working.
    It works inside and outside MP after disconnecting the IR-Receiver.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It's very possible that you guys have similar symptoms with different causes.
    Brudertac's situation sounds like a driver or USB power config issue.

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have some things on the todo List.

- The Registry Setting to reset the USB Hub after Standby is already on Test.
    - A separate USB Hub
    - Another USB Port on the Board. Right now i'm on a USB3 Port. Maybe the Driver (Intel USB3) is a Problem. I have this Problem since Windows10. Hardware is identical...

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    one thing that I have not yet checked is if the remote problem is restricted to MediaPortal.
    I had this problem for five years with WMC, and the problem has continued since I migrated to MP. :(

I originally used sleep with my HTPC, but for reasons unrelated to the IR receiver, I later moved to hibernation. Since hibernation turns everything off (apart from the network adapter), I had hoped that the IR receiver would no longer malfunction on wake. Sadly, my hopes were dashed. :cry: The IR receiver still malfunctions on wake from hibernation. However, it does seem to malfunction a lot less often than it does when using sleep. On a few occasions I have even had the IR receiver malfunction on boot up. :eek:

I will mention the following post, which suggests that there are different hardware implementations of the IR receiver, one of which does not suffer from this problem (but this is just hearsay evidence):

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=112599#112599

I will also highlight one other piece of information: the IR receiver for the Ortek/Hama remote control does not seem to suffer from this problem. :eek: That's right, our old friend the infamous Ortek remote control seems to work correctly with sleep and hibernation. The Ortek appears as a keyboard and also as a mouse, and does not use the driver for the "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver".

Finally, the solution that I have adopted is the "unplug/replug" solution. I have connected the IR receiver to a USB extension cable, and routed the cable unobtrusively around the HPTC (a floor-standing tower system) so that the join (where the male plug fits into the female extension socket) is positioned at the front of the HTPC, where I can access it easily. This means that I don't have to feel around blindly at the rear of the HTPC hoping to pull out the correct USB plug, and then feel around some more hoping to find the right USB socket to plug it back into again 10 seconds later.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Finally, the solution that I have adopted is the "unplug/replug" solution. I have connected the IR receiver to a USB extension cable, and routed the cable unobtrusively around the HPTC (a floor-standing tower system) so that the join (where the male plug fits into the female extension socket) is positioned at the front of the HTPC, where I can access it easily.
    I bet there is no wife around;). A visible cable (as unobtrusively as you deem) will always be original sin for my wife, and having to unplug and replug is not going to have any measurable WAF :cool:.

We absolutely need to find a solution to this problem.

One other finding of mine is that the IR receiver will remain operational most of the time. Short standby periods are not affecting it. I just had the PC off for about 90 min without the receiver going "offline". It is usually in the morning after a multi-hour standby that it won't function any more. Go figure, off is off - or at least should be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom