Operating System IR Receiver (USB) not functioning after standby (1 Viewer)

Kui

Portal Pro
November 11, 2010
Alajärvi
Home Country
Finland Finland
Hi,

Im not 100% sure did I have this same issue (sorry, didnt read this thread so well :p), but my old receiver often/always was "Unknown Device" in Device Manager after standby --> Remote didnt work obviously.

Resolved the issue by adding a cheap 10euros USB hub to motherboard and the IR receiver to USB hub.

But as said, not sure it will resolve the issue for all, but for me it did. (y)
Still not sure why it fixed the issue, perhaps the hub get's power differently or something.. :)

Cheers,
Kui

Kui

Portal Pro
November 11, 2010
Alajärvi
Home Country
Finland Finland

Attachments

• Konig hub.JPG
    Konig hub.JPG
    49.8 KB

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks @Kui

I have already ordered a Hub but i don´t think that whis will help in my case. As writen before, my Remote was working perfectly on the same Hardware but under Windows 7.
    So i believe this is a Driver Isue off Windows 10. (i also have no "unknown Device" listed..)

But, i need more Time to Test, today the Remote was working. Acutaly i test the Registry Change which will hopefully force Windows 10 to reset the USB Hub after Standby...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Go figure, off is off - or at least should be.
    Ha! But we know from the other thread where we've been looking at your suspend/resume cycles that strange things happen on your system. It suspends when it is already suspended. :eek:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here is a brutal thing that works: (y)
    devcon.exe remove =USB
    devcon.exe rescan =USB

deletes all USB information and then reinstalls any USB device that is connected to the PC. The downside is that the rescan process is taking quite some time. On a modern system it might be faster to just restart the PC upon every resume. That said, it should be possible to selectively remove the IR device and then trigger the rescan process. I will continue to explore the devcon commands in this direction.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I did not have time to work on the receiver-selective devcon remove process yet.

But something strange happened tonight: As I had resume issues in the past, I have been working with @Sebastiii who has successfully added code to MP to address those issues. Indeed MP woke up without problems this morning, following a multi-hour standby. To my surprise the IR receiver was working :unsure:. I am not 100% certain, but thus far the receiver has always been dead after the night standby.

The system in question (HTPC1) is entering standby when forced by MP. For some reason, if left to Windows, the PC would not enter standby while MP is running - it does though without MP. The particularity in my environment is that every night between 4:00 and 5:00 the Windows Server 2012 system is subsequently waking up each client in my network to perform a backup operation. For reasons of quicker testing I had set the forced standby time to 3 min - probably too short to allow for the server backup process to be completed - and in the last days I was always greeted by a message on the client that the backup process had not been succesful. In order to address this I increased the forced standby time to 10 min yesterday, and the server backup did complete this night.

I will observe this over the next days to see if the receiver behavior is stable or if this has just been a coincidence. While the standby time between the client shutting off after the backup (say 4:15) and my current in-the-morning test resume at 7:00 is more or less the same (roughly 3 hours), the time of standby beween shutting off in the previous evening and the backup wake differs. Yesterday with Europe League I switched off at around 23:30 - or ca. 5 hrs of standby time.

It sounds completely bizarre, but the receiver stopping to work appears to be subject to the time of the PC being in standby. That said, I have read reports of people stating that the receiver stopped working during the process of entering standby. In my case I never managed to confirm this: manually standby'ing the PC and then waking it up again shortly after never led to the remote not working anymore.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For some reason, if left to Windows, the PC would not enter standby while MP is running - it does though without MP.
    Is the following option set correctly?

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/@api/deki/files/3020/=PowerScheduleClient.PNG

If this option is enabled, I think that PowerScheduler periodically resets the "time since user input" (or somesuch value), and that will prevent Windows sleeping the system (as well as preventing PowerScheduler forcibly sleeping the system).

I have read reports of people stating that the receiver stopped working during the process of entering standby.
    Perhaps there is more than one problem in this area. :confused: When I was using sleep, the IR receiver worked correctly during sleep (it was live, but with no LEDs illuminated), and it was able to trigger the HTPC to wake, but it then malfunctioned during wake processing. :( Also, this problem was/is only an occasional occurrence for me (with sleep or hibernation); you seem to have one circumstance where it occurs every time. :eek:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is the following option set correctly?
    Yes. I have opened a dedicated thread about this.

you seem to have one circumstance where it occurs every time.
    Actually not. This morning I resumed after some 5 hours and the remote was doing ok. This evening, after more than 10 hours in standby it was no longer functioning. The only pattern that I see is that with long standby times the likelihood of the remote not working is high, wheras short standby periods never cause trouble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom