Is MP "self contained"? (1 Viewer)

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
In other words, will keeping "Team MediaPortal" a backup, be enough to reinstall it? (after a format for example and of course taking care of anything else like codecs before re-launching MP)

chili

Portal Pro
September 20, 2004
somewhere in the bowels of Texas
No, you will need to install from a setup file... and then you can copy your backup folder to get your settings and stuff back. Not sure if you can use just any old setup file, you probably need to use one that your original build was based on.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
meaning there are needed registry entries? (because I cannot imaging why else would there be need for setup, except stupid-MicroSloth "feature" of registry)

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Mostly because some filters need to be registered. If you don't want to reinstall though, you could just run start.bat in your MP folder which will re-registered the files needed.

Of course you wont get any StartMenu entries or anything that way, and in order to un-install you (cleanly!) you will have to manually deregister all those filters and codecs again.

Inker

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    if that is all, then it's perfect :D

never ever use the *&^%*&%$*& registry

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    oh I can write a whole essay
    in fact I see it as an axion (that needs no explanation): registry sux

we were fine before registry
    all other OSes are still fine without it

I love nice configuration files in the nice program file folders... as simple as that... and if they are in a human readable form (if possible and must not be otherwise) even better

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Unless its changed since 0130, I kept a copy and formatted, it doesnt use the registry (for MP settings, not sure about codec). Copying the MP directory and the putting back on a fresh install everything was retained.

Users who are viewing this thread