Keep getting kicked out of Live TV (1 Viewer)

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have client logs and server logs attached, please advise thanks
    Thanks! :)

From a server perspective: the server notes that the client disconnects...
    [2015-05-27 23:30:35,914] [Log ] [HeartBeatMonitor] [INFO ] - Controller: Heartbeat Monitor - kicking idle user Frontroom-PC

...but it just keeps on trucking. So, it looks like the server is okay.

I notice when closing down MP the network icon in the system tray has a yellow exclamation mark and it can fix itself which gives a message 'The default gateway is not available' Fixed. This then allows MP Live TV to work again for 5-10 minutes.
    Ahhhh, I see.

You said other clients don't have a problem, right? ...only this one particular client (?)

Normally such a message might point to a router/switch (or Broadband modem) issue, because the default gateway is usually configured to be the router in a local network. However, if the other devices on the network don't experience any problems, it's more likely that the problem is limited to the specific device (in this case: this specific client PC).

Correct, using the same ethernet cable in the same place with a different client causes no issues. The problem is specifically with this one machine. Also other three other clients in the house carry on displaying MP Live TV fine.

To completely rule out the router/switch...
    Have you tried swapping the port that the client is connected to on the router/switch (to eliminate the possibility of a bad port)?

I will try this later, only thing is that this problem PC runs fine UNTIL I try using MP Live TV or TV recordings. Non MP internet use is fine. If I remember correctly even moving pictures, online videos and myTV series also run fine. The problem occurs/is limited to MP Live TV and recordings

Does the router/switch have a log that you can get to, and if so, is there anything interesting in it that coincides with the periods when you have connection problems?
    I will look later, but otherwise I can see no obvious pattern:(

To determine which element (hardware or software - OS, driver etc.) of the client is at fault...
    Do you happen to have a wireless or wired network card (or even an alternative network adaptor) that you could try (to see if it has the same problem)?
    Good call, I think I have a USB wireless dongle somewhere I will try that.

Are you sure you have the right network adaptor driver installed?
    Pretty sure, I re-installed the latest realtek driver for the MoBo (Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev 2.0) the other week when this problem started.

Note: I'm assuming the network cable itself is okay, since you had problems with HomePlug too.
    CAT6 cable from the PC to the router through a switch, I checked with a cable tester and all fine. I even checked with another different cable also and same problem.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks, all sounds good. (y)

I will try this later, only thing is that this problem PC runs fine UNTIL I try using MP Live TV or TV recordings. Non MP internet use is fine. If I remember correctly even moving pictures, online videos and myTV series also run fine. The problem occurs/is limited to MP Live TV and recordings
    To be clear, are you saying that you think use of TV is triggering the problem somehow? ...because it seems clear from the log files that everything on the system is affected when the problem occurs (ie. including OnlineVideos et al.).

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks, all sounds good. (y)

To be clear, are you saying that you think use of TV is triggering the problem somehow? ...because it seems clear from the log files that everything on the system is affected when the problem occurs (ie. including OnlineVideos et al.).

Yes I think that, but I need to confirm. For example I played a videogame on the computer for hours and hours, media portal was not on and I had no problems. When I was having these problems with Live TV I decided to watch some TV series via MP myTV Series and the problem did not occur.

But like I said I need to double check and confirm

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    Well, I tried a USB wifi dongle and there were no drop outs and MP played live TV fine.

This made me think that actually the ethernet port on the MoBo is faulty.

As a last resort I got the air gun out and blew through the ethernet socket whilst generally cleaning the PC, we have had a lot of building work being done in the house and there is a lot of dust everywhere.

Plugged the PC back in and have had MP Live TV on for one hour without a drop out.

However, I just switched MP off then back on and tried to access Live TV and boom, it dropped out. Same yellow exclamation mark in the system tray and with a right click the network is working again after telling me that 'The default gateway is not available - Fixed'

Logs attached

Last edited:

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    And FYI, I just decided to play a videogame on the problem computer. I do this via a steam exe local, but actually the game data is stored on the server, I played for over an hour so the computer is working non stop reading over the network from the computer to the server. There has been no problems

I'd love to get to the bottom of the problem. Tomorrow I will go and buy a gigabit pci ethernet card and if it works with MP then I think we can assume a faulty ethernet port on the mobo.

Lets see,

Still a very strange problem....

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    HAHA, not often I hear you say that!!! You normally have an answer for everything :)

Again I just now switched on MP Live TV, it worked for 5 minutes then it lost connection. Same symptoms, but no obvious reason!!! very frustrating.

Anyway I have a spare client I can plug in and tomorrow I will try a new pci card and perhaps we can put the problem down to faulty ethernet port on the mobo

Thanks as always!

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    Update: I installed a pci ethernet card and MP works fine.

We can now assume that the onboard ethernet socket is faulty, thanks for your help

Users who are viewing this thread