[solved] (Kodi issue) MCE Remote not working in 1.13pre. Worked fine in 1.12 (1 Viewer)

FrankBert

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2007
    I just thought about the issue again.
    Would it be possible to embed the HID-Demo tool somehow into the MP-Configuration for the HID remotes?
    Meaning - receive the button codes for the remote control directly in the MP Configuraton tool instead selecting predefined setting (e.g. MCE Remote) in there?

The idea is:
    • Select the MP function you want to map to a remote control key (e.g. pause, TV, mute etc.)
    • press the button on the remote control - e voilà:
    • button mapped to a MP function

That would make it extremely simple to set up pretty much any HID remote control the way you prefer it.

Kevin TenBrook

Portal Member
    December 18, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Oh man! That hurts!
    Another head slap moment :ROFLMAO:

Thank you very much @FrankBert for taking the time to investigate this issue.
    We greatly appreciate your valuable contribution to this community.
    I'm really not impressed with that Kodi MCE Remote plugin.

@Kevin TenBrook Can you confirm you are having the same or a similar issue than @FrankBert?
    You can probably check that by downloading his attachment and checking your registry for those entries.

Is this Kodi MCE Remote plugin needed to use your remote with Kodi?
    They say the remote should just work out-of-the-box.
    If this registry hacking dodgy remote plugin is the "official" way to support MCE on Kodi then we may want to tell them it's a mess and hope they get that fixed.
    @Developers @Testers Do you guys know anything about that? Can anyone easily provide some feedback to the Kodi community about this issue?
    I just don't do Kodi and now I know why :)

Hi, Kevin TenBrook here. I just now revisited this thread after several months. For some reason I wasn't getting update notices. Oh well. I am very impressed on how much activity has happened!
    Yes, I can confirm that I installed Kodi, and its MCE plugin before I tried MP. So, that could be my problem as well. I updated to Windows 10 after that, so maybe that also removed the old Kodi changes. I'll give it a go and report back. If no dice, I'll pull down the registry settings from FrankBert and try that also. Thanks all for the help.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi, Kevin TenBrook here. I just now revisited this thread after several months. For some reason I wasn't getting update notices. Oh well. I am very impressed on how much activity has happened!
    Yes, I can confirm that I installed Kodi, and its MCE plugin before I tried MP. So, that could be my problem as well. I updated to Windows 10 after that, so maybe that also removed the old Kodi changes. I'll give it a go and report back. If no dice, I'll pull down the registry settings from FrankBert and try that also. Thanks all for the help.
    Apparently that Kodi plugin has an option to revert the registry mods.

Kevin TenBrook

Portal Member
    December 18, 2015
    Home Country
    Apparently that Kodi plugin has an option to revert the registry mods.

Alas, I have long ago uninstalled Kodi. So, not an option for me.

Kevin TenBrook

Portal Member
    December 18, 2015
    Home Country
    Hello, the OP here. I just wanted to confirm that I have now retried the HID Remote option after my upgrade to Windows 10, which was a fresh install (not really an upgrade in place). So, the Windows 10 update wiped out whatever corruption that Kodi had done, and now the HID driver is working for me in 1.12. I'm downloading 1.13 now and will give it a go, but I expect it will work also. Thanks everyone for the help, and if this thread helped anyone else pin down a similar problem, I'm glad. In summary, the root of this is that if you have previously installed Kodi on your system with the MCE plugin, and then install Media Portal, your MCE remote may not work with the HID driver because of registry changes made by the Kodi MCE plugin.

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can confirm reinstalling latest version of Kodi, enabling the plugin and restoring default behavior fixed it for me. I'd forgotten I had installed it a while ago to see latest changes (hate it on windows!) and had just figured my 10 year old MCE hardware was on its way out.

All working as normal again now - won't ever be trying that in Windows again!

Budje

Portal Member
    January 6, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Oh man! That hurts!
    I have once tried to install Kodi and of course have configured the MCE Remote.
    The "MCE Remote" PlugIn changed the registry!
    Deinstallation of course did not help. :mad:

Luckily I was able to copy the 2 registry branches for the HID-Remote from my other PC over and voilà - no everthing works. (y)
    On the otherPC I never installed the remote control nore Kodi.

View attachment 174766
    Now the HID-Demo show 88 and 89 codes!

I did test it in MediaPortal with the HID-Remote - works like with the MCE-Remote setting.
    It looks like I can now update to MP 1.13 :)

For those of you who have ever installed the same Kodi-Plugin (MCE Remote) - you can try to use my attached default registry settings to re-enable full HID control back again. (be aware that I did export them with Windows 10 - I am not sure if they where the same on earlier Windows version - but do guess so)

Sorry Stéphan for all the trouble, but who could know that the plugin changed registry setting without telling ...
    Many thanks!

This shows again - you should have only one god - an that is MP! :D

I tried Kodi yesterday and I had similar symptons, your registry files did fix it. Thank you!
    Strange this is still an issue. Damn you, Kodi :)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Stéphane Lenclud
    Could we possibly automatically detect and warn, and maybe provide a "fix" button?
    The question of fixing it was raised earlier and dismissed by myself then. Possibly further up that thread.
    The problem with the fix is that you are making all sorts of assumptions about the unpublished layout of your registry.

I much rather invest time helping Kodi handle generic HID properly.

Detecting could be done I guess but then we could also just put a static warning message in the configuration. However it seems people are finding their solutions in those forums. I've recently added a sticky about HID known issues too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom