[solved] (Kodi issue) MCE Remote not working in 1.13pre. Worked fine in 1.12 (3 Viewers)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Would it be worth using the MP setup to replace these registry settings?
    Interesting suggestion, but when I used WMC I intentionally modified the "ReportMappingTable" in the registry so that certain buttons on my One-for-All remote could perform other functions. If you arbitrarily reset the report mapping table, would the user be pleased? (I am not saying that he would not, I am merely saying that this possibility should be considered.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Stéphane Lenclud @mm1352000
    Would it be worth using the MP setup to replace these registry settings?
    It's possible they might be missing/wrong for quite a few users...

It's not MPs job to fix a broken registry. I'm pretty sure there is several million ways you can break your registry, are we going to include a patch for each of those? Obviously not :)
    If indeed that Kodi plug-in is guilty we can try convince them to fix it.
    We can also document the problem so that it's easy for users to troubleshot their system.
    I've added a bit of documentation there.

Last edited:

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    If you arbitrarily reset the report mapping table, would the user be pleased?
    Good point - maybe an option deselected in the installer?

It's not MPs job to fix a broken registry.
    If only it were that easy :)
    I'd suggest though, that in this case it's not a broken registry that is at fault, it would simply be resetting the details that should be there for MP to work correctly.
    Even if Kodi is indeed the culprit, MP will be blamed for not working correctly by users who don't realise that Kodi is changing their registry, as this case clearly shows...
    (and your miraculous diagnosis!)

Assume that MP is the preferred media client and overwrite any settings that cause MP to break (amusingly much as Kodi seems to have done!)

Just bouncing ideas... ;)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

FrankBert

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2007
    I can now confirm that the Kodi MCE Plugin did cause the issue. I have installed it again and pressed "apply current settings to remote" in kodi.
    After a restart of Windows, I had the same not working MCE remote with MP (double checked with HID-Demo).

To be fair, it was possible to restore default behaviour with "Apply Window default settings to remote".
    By the way, you need to start kodi with admin rights to be able to do the registry setting.

Kodi MCE Plugin.PNG

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can now confirm that the Kodi MCE Plugin did cause the issue. I have installed it again and pressed "apply current settings to remote" in kodi.
    After a restart of Windows, I had the same not working MCE remote with MP (double checked with HID-Demo).

To be fair, it was possible to restore default behaviour with "Apply Window default settings to remote".
    By the way, you need to start kodi with admin rights to be able to do the registry setting.

View attachment 175188
    What an ugly hack they came up with...

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I understand why though..
    Kodi choose to use keypresses for UI input. This is a choice for all platforms. Linux, RP, openelec.. and windows.
    easiest solution for all, is to use 1 single input scheme. Windows interpretation of MCE remote is a weird one in that sense. Solved by adjusting driver to mimmic keypresses instead of default windows response.
    Ugly, possibly (for us), but effective codingwise.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I understand why though..
    Kodi choose to use keypresses for UI input. This is a choice for all platforms. Linux, RP, openelec.. and windows.
    easiest solution for all, is to use 1 single input scheme. Windows interpretation of MCE remote is a weird one in that sense. Solved by adjusting driver to mimmic keypresses instead of default windows response.
    Ugly, possibly (for us), but effective codingwise.
    HID is not Windows specific. So if you handle HID on Linux supporting MCE should be straight forward too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom