Launch a random trailer before movie (1 Viewer)

SimplyC

Portal Member
September 13, 2009
Hello,
in configuration it's possible to launch a trailer before movie ( custom intro ), but it's always the same file.
I've some Dolby Digital, THX, DTS trailers in a directory and i would to launch a random trailer from this directory before launching a movie, it's possible ?
Thanks

Hiya,

as a workaround, why not write a little batch file that replaces your intro file (fixed filepath) with one from your trailers directory. You could schedule this to run each morning, or even every few hours. That way, unless you watch muliple movies each day, then you'd get a different trailer each time!

If you need any help, i'm sure I could knock somethingup (I'll probably do it myself, but I havent got any trailers... yet..;))

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hello,
in configuration it's possible to launch a trailer before movie ( custom intro ), but it's always the same file.
I've some Dolby Digital, THX, DTS trailers in a directory and i would to launch a random trailer from this directory before launching a movie, it's possible ?
Thanks

Hiya,

as a workaround, why not write a little batch file that replaces your intro file (fixed filepath) with one from your trailers directory. You could schedule this to run each morning, or even every few hours. That way, unless you watch muliple movies each day, then you'd get a different trailer each time!

If you need any help, i'm sure I could knock somethingup (I'll probably do it myself, but I havent got any trailers... yet..;))

You mean something like:
-delete "C:\MovinPictures_Intro\intro.[ext]"
-pick random file from "C:\trailers\"
-copy to "C:\MovingPictures_intro\" and rename to "intro.[ext]

just translated to batch-language?
would be cool. Could you make something like this?

SimplyC

Portal Member
September 13, 2009
That precisely what I mean... I assume all of your trailers are the same [.ext]. I'll knock up the code, shouldn't take long...

I've had a quick look, and all the trailers I've found are in .MOV. Can mediaportal handle .movs???

Can anyone suggest a good place to download trailers from - or an app that might do it for me???

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I download all my trailers from Apples trailer-site. They are .mov, and yes, MP can handle it. Just depends on installing the right codec.

I download them automatically with a little program I found, I actually think it was on this site. Can't remember the name right now though. I'll try to take a look when I get the chance.

SimplyC

Portal Member
September 13, 2009
Little file

Ok, it's a bit rough and ready, but it should work...

I'm using the current assumptions

1. All your trailers are stored in one flat folder (the search will not look at subfolders)
2. Within that folder you've only got trailers, and there all MOV

Neither of these are insurmountable, but thats how my set up will be, so there :sorry:

In seriousness, if this is a big deal, I'll refine the code, just not tonight!

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

You'll need to edit some of the parameters to suit you, right click and select edit on the file and it'll open in notepad. It should be pretty obvious where you need to edit. Again, if you need any help, just holler.

Then, once your happy it's working, you can set it up as a scheduled task or, if your using a pc that is turned off and on daily, just stick it in your startup folder and it'll run each time you'll log in...

Enjoy.

Simply

BTW - I'm still very excited about a system that does all this. Never thought about it before, but what a great way to whet the appetite for movies in your own collection than viewing a trailer. Even better if it only shows you trailers for movies you've not watched yet....

Oh yeah, and when's 0.8 coming out??? hehehehe :D

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Looks good.
Only 2 things:

1: My trailers are not in the same folder, but in subfolders. This is because I use the forementioned tool, Apple Downloader, to download my trailers. It puts all trailers in its own folder, and downloads a folder.jpg to go with it. if I move the trailers to a single folder, it redownloads all the "missing" trailers and puts them in a folder again.
2: I get an error:
"Line: 19
Char: 1
error: Invalid procedure call or argument
code: 800a0005"

If i put a " ' " on that line, the script runs and it seems to work. The trailers changes, although I only tested with a few ones though.

But still great work man, and really fast.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I just edited the link. It was faulty somehow.

But i can also see that the application is no longer maintained and the download in the post doesn't work.

I zipped the files together and attached them. Just unzip the folder and run the .exe files. Configurations is for... well, configuration. The other is the actual app.

This has been working great for me for a long time now.

Attachments

• Apple Trailer Downloader.zip
    30.7 KB

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There is a similar app called showtimes.

This contains an external app called mtsa.exe

This stand alone program can be used to download trailers

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Ill have a look at showtimes when I get home. The Apple Downloader is a good little app, but since it is no longer being developed on, there are some things that could be better. For instance, it gives you options whether you want to download 720p trailers and/or HighRes trailers. There is no option for 1080p trailers.
    And an option to sort of prioritize types and only download the one with the highest priority would be great. Sort of like:
    1) 1080P - if not exxisting then download:
    2) 720p - if not existing then download:
    3) HighRes.
    I don't need the HighRes trailer, if the 720p is available for download.

So there is definately room for improvement, but so far it has been working out great for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom