Launch a random trailer before movie (4 Viewers)

SimplyC

Portal Member
September 13, 2009
Oooh, they look good. I found one yesterday, but none of the movs it downloaded would play in kmplayer....

I'll have a look at the script see what the error is, and get it to search sub folders (I was just being lazy yesterday! :oops: )

SimplyC

SimplyC

Portal Member
September 13, 2009
Ok, you were right to comment out that line, not sure how it ended up in the release!

This new version

1. Allows you to specify an extension to search for (defaults to .MOV)
2. Searches subfolders

As for downloading trailers, thanks for those links, but I cant find anything that downloads the trailers for movies i've already got (i.e. so I get trailers for the movies in my catalog)

I found a program callled GetTrailers (from the greenbutton) which looks like it should work, but doesn't (the movs are 25kb each and dont play!)

I might have a play to see if I can build something myself. But if anyone has any other apps, please let me know. Or if anyone can tell me how these apps work (i.e. I've had a look at yahoos trailer site, but I'm confused as to where the actual movs are!) that would be appreciated to! I'm a bit of a noob with this stuff, so all offfers appreciated!

Attachments

• MP_COPY_TRAILER_V0.2.zip
    30.7 KB

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I just tried the new version, and it seemed to work once, but now I can't get it to work anymore. It doesn't change the file.

In regards to the Apple downloader, it just downloads all the trailers from Apples site, nothing about just the ones you have in your library. And it seems that it is broken as of recently, cause I also only gets .mov files that are around 25-40kb. Maybe Apple changed something on their site.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Apple frequently changes, so you need a maintained plugin.

mtsa.exe (from showtimes plugin) has a look to see what movies are playing in theatres where you live and can download trailers for those movies. (as well as a SHOWTIMES MP window plugin that lets you view the trailers, and movie showing times etc...) However you can just run mtsa.exe as a standalone without using the showtimes bit.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    On a slightly offtopic tangent, what I've always dreamed about is to be able to browse my movie collection (from within Moving Pictures for example), and have a Trailer button appear if there is a trailer available for the movie. I download all trailers that come up on the Apple site and other places, and have built up quite a collection going back a few years. I don't have a trailer for every single movie I have, but I have enough to make it worthwhile.

The trailers are held in their own directory with a filename matching the movie name, which makes matching them up simple. Alternatively, I could place the trailer in the directory where the movie (avi) files are held.

I like the idea of browsing my movie collection then seeing a preview / trailer (possibly in a little window) to help me decide if I want to watch the movie.

The corresponding flip side is to be able to browse my trailer collection, and have a "Watch Now" and a "Flag" button on the browse screen. The "Watch Now" would only work when the movie is already in my collection, and the "Flag" button would be super-useful for indicating those trailers/movies that look really good and I want to acquire at a later date. I can then just run a quick report through the database to generate a list of movies that I want to acquire. (The "Flag" button would also be good on the Moving Pictures movie screen to indicate that I want to watch the movie at a later date, for those times when I don't know what I want to watch and would just like to recall the previously flagged movies.)

There's a bit of linking that has to happen between the movies database and a trailers database, but it got working on Meedio and worked really well. It really brings together the concept of trailers and movies within the one home theatre PC.

Just planting seeds!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Another option would be to add a trailer scraper within moving pictures
    Then if a trailer is available (online) a link button appears.
    Most online trailers can be streamed quite well therefore it is not necessary to download
    However an option to download trailers i guess could be implemented as well
    I think having to manually copy/save trailers would be too cumbersome and gets away from the easy to setup handsfree aspects of moving pictures.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Kiwi: The feature you are requesting has been requested a lot of times, and has an issue on the tracker somewhere. It has been pushed back (like a lot of other things), so no telling when it will make it into the plugin.
    AS I understand it, the plan was to integrate the plugin "my trailers" with MovingPictures, and have it stream trailers. I personally would rather be able to use my own, downloaded trailers, and if none is available then perhaps it could go online.

SimplyC

Portal Member
    September 13, 2009
    I just tried the new version, and it seemed to work once, but now I can't get it to work anymore. It doesn't change the file.

In regards to the Apple downloader, it just downloads all the trailers from Apples site, nothing about just the ones you have in your library. And it seems that it is broken as of recently, cause I also only gets .mov files that are around 25-40kb. Maybe Apple changed something on their site.

Thats odd... I ran it over and over again and it changed the files. (I've only got 2 MOV files, so sometimes it did double up). I'll have a try again tonight. IUn fact, what I'll do is put a logfile in so we can see what it's up to!

Interesting about Apple changing their site, that would explain why the app i found didn't work. I did have a quick look at MTSA last night - but was digginrg around the source files and didn;t actually try using it :p. I'll give it a go and see how it works.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    As said I could get it to run the first time. Now, If I delete the Intro.mov file and run it again, it makes the excact same intro.mov file with the same trailer as previously.
    It seems that somehow my system is keeping the information about which trailer it using, and never does the random-thing again.
    I am on Vista, if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom