Let me donate bitcoins to support mediaportal. (1 Viewer)

MediaPortal should accept bitcoins for donation.

• YES!

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • NO! (please, explain why)

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Den70, your worries are greatly exaggerated. It's not like Team MediaPortal survives only by stable donations. Team MediaPortal does not "have to get paid". It's also very unlikely that Bitcoin donations would become a major source of income in the near future.

And no government will step in and save you when that happens.
    This has got to be a joke. When would any government ever step in and "save" an open source non-profit organization? How would this even work today? Could Team MediaPortal turn to a government to be "saved" if its donations would stop coming?
    No, what governments ever do is to promise that their fiat currency will always lose in value by X percent per year by inflation ($85B/month in the case of the Fed).

People all over the world are looking for ways to spend their Bitcoin and it's currently going to organizations like GIMP, Blender, LibreOffice and EFF. MediaPortal would fit well among those projects in my opinion.

Den70

Portal Member
    February 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I did not mean to say that a government will save team MP. But governments (here in Europe) do put effort in standard banking systems. They buy banks or invest money. You can agree or disagree about that but they do. When the bitcoin system crashes or is about to no government will help those who lose money. That is why investing in it is still a gamble.

Only paying in bitcoins also seems very dogmatic to me. The topic starter asks us to say yes or no but he doesn't seem to accept a negative answer. He does not accept the fact that most people do not see bitcoins as a serious reliable paying method. It almost looks like a religious discussion and that is too bad.

To be clear: I am not saying it is never going to be a succes. But at the moment I don't see it as a reliable method.

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    So we both agree that MediaPortal is not dependent on a reliable donation income and no government will bailout anyone but banks and companies too big to fail. Do you wish to change your vote to YES or is there another reason to still vote against?
    It's no coincidence that Bitcoin was launched during one of the government bank bailouts. A message is even encoded in the genesis block.
    Maybe I misunderstood and you also vote NO to USD donations since there's no government there to "save us" either.

I do understand that decentralized currency is viewed as a threat by banks and governments as it moves power away from them. If I was working for a traditional bank I'd probably also discourage everyone from using other coins than my own.

I agree that it looks like a religious discussion. Some people find comfort in the idea that a mighty force will step down from its crystal throne in the sky and "save us" as long as we obey his commandments. Some call it God, others Government ;)

findftp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 20, 2011
    Nootdorp
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Only paying in bitcoins also seems very dogmatic to me. The topic starter asks us to say yes or no but he doesn't seem to accept a negative answer.
    Calm down a little bit.
    You would be right when my initial question was "Let me donate bitcoins to MePo, and abandon all other funding methods!"

You also don't read very well. I never said that I only use bitcoins for my payments, I wish it was true ;-)
    I said that I only *donate* in bitcoins and no other methods anymore. I don't forbid anyone to use other methods.
    He does not accept the fact that most people do not see bitcoins as a serious reliable paying method. It almost looks like a religious discussion and that is too bad.

Dude, you should read better. I accept everything, but *you* don't want *me* to use bitcoins.
    It's about freedom of choice.
    You use fiat, and I use bitcoin.
    Please let me use my stuff, then you can do your thing.

You just don't want MePo to accept bitcoins so that I cannot donate anymore because *you* think bitcoins are worthless for donation
    Who are you to decide for me? Or even for MePo?

Even when bitcoins become really worthless you are not being harmed.
    Even MePo isn't harmed because it's donated funding which I was not going to fund in other currency anyway.
    The only thing which could be harmed when bitcoins become worhless is my ego.

I don't want you or anyone else to prevent my damaged ego, I will go to mummy if that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread