[Pending] Live commercial skip detection (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    From my understanding:

Comskip will reach the end of the actively recording .ts file and will stop processing it, believing the the recording has finished (when it has not). This is because of the date created / date modified times. This maybe why you don't see commercial information created while comskip is running on a live recording.

An alternative test for elliot would be to run comskip in live recording mode on a completed recording, and see if the chapter file is updated on the fly. (using the live_tv=1 / -t switch / other parameters).[DOUBLEPOST=1382052120][/DOUBLEPOST]
    This allows you to skip back to the point at which you were last skipped automatically (this is great if a commercial segment is slightly misidentified).

I want a feature similar to this:

My current situation is I use manual chapter skip forward when i reach a commercial, sometimes there is no chapter marker at the end of commercial so it would be great to skip back to where i was prior to the chapter forward skip. I would like to be able to skip back to this point using the skip chapter backwards button.

Last edited:

sccrgoalie1

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    From my understanding:

Comskip will reach the end of the actively recording .ts file and will stop processing it, believing the the recording has finished (when it has not). This is because of the date created / date modified times. This maybe why you don't see commercial information created while comskip is running on a live recording.

An alternative test for elliot would be to run comskip in live recording mode on a completed recording, and see if the chapter file is updated on the fly. (using the live_tv=1 / -t switch / other parameters).[DOUBLEPOST=1382052120][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'm using ArgusTV for recording and it outputs a .ts file. Comskip has no problems with these file and processes them live without issue. Maybe this is specific to Media Portal TVServer? I'm still working on getting the built in TV server up and running to do some testing myself

This allows you to skip back to the point at which you were last skipped automatically (this is great if a commercial segment is slightly misidentified).

I want a feature similar to this:

My current situation is I use manual chapter skip forward when i reach a commercial, sometimes there is no chapter marker at the end of commercial so it would be great to skip back to where i was prior to the chapter forward skip. I would like to be able to skip back to this point using the skip chapter backwards button.
    You'll need to pick what button you assign this action to, but how I've got it setup for myself I use the down arrow to turn off auto commercial skip and then the left arrow to skip back to a previous jump. These are the two new actions in this patch.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Does your patch work if you manually advance a comskip chapter.

eg.

Comskip commercial chapter markers at
    5:00, 8:00, 37:00 , 40:00

Watching at 25:00, commercial starts so manually FFWD a chapter. MP skips to 37:00, obviously a missed commercial break, press a button to skip back to 25:00 to manually advance the commercial.

sccrgoalie1

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2013
    Home Country
    Does your patch work if you manually advance a comskip chapter.

eg.

Comskip commercial chapter markers at
    5:00, 8:00, 37:00 , 40:00

Watching at 25:00, commercial starts so manually FFWD a chapter. MP skips to 37:00, obviously a missed commercial break, press a button to skip back to 25:00 to manually advance the commercial.
    I believe the answer is no, but I'm going to have to do some rework with the xml epg file. It's going to cause issues. So I could add it.

Specifically, the player is going to think the epg xml file is a commercial file and then won't skip any commercials. I'll remove xml support tomorrow and push the changes.

Last edited:

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Good news!

Trying another recording this morning, and the .edl, .xml and .txt files are all being updated while the recording is in progress.

90210 - E4+1 - 2013-10-18 - 7_25 AM.edl

Code:
    421.08   475.92   0

90210 - E4+1 - 2013-10-18 - 7_25 AM.xml

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <root>
      <commercial start="421.080000" end="475.920000" />
     </root>

90210 - E4+1 - 2013-10-18 - 7_25 AM.txt

Code:
    10527   11898

Obviously this is good news, because we can in principle use the .txt or .edl files and not need to mess with the .xml file.

What I don't yet know is if changing to

output_dvrmstb=0 ; this tells comskip to output an xml commercial file

will still do this.

The problem is that when I play the recording, I see the following in the logs

Code:
    [2013-10-18 07:43:58,719] [Log  ] [MPMain  ] [INFO ] - g_Player.Play(rtsp://SERVER:554/158ABA34 Recording)
    [2013-10-18 07:43:58,738] [Log  ] [MPMain  ] [DEBUG] - PlayerFactory: Successfully created player instance for file - rtsp://SERVER:554/158ABA34
    [2013-10-18 07:43:58,741] [Log  ] [MPMain  ] [DEBUG] - g_Player.LoadChapters() - Automatic ComSkip mode is off.
    [2013-10-18 07:43:58,742] [Log  ] [MPMain  ] [WARN ] - g_Player.LoadChapters() - Invalid chapter file

and no comskip markers are shown (this is on a multiseat client).

I am guessing it is looking at the .txt file and this does not have the expected format at this stage.

So, all looking good, and I am sure this can be fixed, but IMO not yet ready for 1.6.0. I am happy to help with further testing.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    And as soon as I stop the recording, the .txt file has

Code:
    FILE PROCESSING COMPLETE  31698 FRAMES AT  2500
    -------------------
    11738   13110
    30318   32911

and the comskip markers are shown. No error in log.

sccrgoalie1

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2013
    Home Country
    I started adding some documentation to the issue but I guess it's not clear yet weather we should use output_dvrmstb= 1 or 0.
    output_dvrmstb should be 0. If you have it as 1 it will overwrite the EPG xml file which would be undesirable. I'm not able to get at my dev pc today to fix the xml issue, but I should be able to get the fix out this weekend.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I started adding some documentation to the issue but I guess it's not clear yet weather we should use output_dvrmstb= 1 or 0.

If we use output_dvrmstb = 1, then we lose the data in the xml file for the EPG/metadata. This really isn't an option.

However, we need to ensure that the comskip data is properly generated on the fly without this option being set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom