[Pending] Live commercial skip detection (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I just had a quick peak at the code. Not really within my area of expertise - I'm just curious to know what needed to be changed on the server side. :)

If I've understood correctly, you need to be able to retrieve the frame rate of the stream/recording?

I guess I'm wondering how well this would work for VFR IPTV streams... but maybe I misunderstood?

sccrgoalie1

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I just had a quick peak at the code. Not really within my area of expertise - I'm just curious to know what needed to be changed on the server side. :)

If I've understood correctly, you need to be able to retrieve the frame rate of the stream/recording?

I guess I'm wondering how well this would work for VFR IPTV streams... but maybe I misunderstood?

I changed two things on the server side.

1. As you mention I need to grab the framerate as comskip doesn't output the framerate until it's done processing. I can only use MediaInfo on local or SMB files that's why it has to be done at the server for RTSP.

2. I changed the way the text file is read, being sure to open it read only and allow comskip to keep writing as I read it. Previously reading the file would cause comskip to stop processing the file.

As far as VFR IPTV streams go, I'll be honest I have no idea what that is, I guess the only way to see if those work will be to test. I assume your mostly concerned with grabbing the framerate of these files. It should be noted this doesn't work while watching live TV, rather it works after you start recording the program and then play it back from your recordings list (even though the program may still be recording). So, we should be reading the framerate from the local .ts file on the server, not the stream itself. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, thanks for the info. (y)

VFR stands for variable frame rate. Some IPTV providers encode with VFR to reduce the bandwidth as much as possible. I guess maybe comskip would not be able to work with such recordings. As far as I know providers that use VFR are in the minority.

Thanks for your work on this. :)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Okay, thanks for the info. (y)

VFR stands for variable frame rate. Some IPTV providers encode with VFR to reduce the bandwidth as much as possible. I guess maybe comskip would not be able to work with such recordings. As far as I know providers that use VFR are in the minority.

Thanks for your work on this. :)

Long term, do we need to be thinking about modifying comskip to export times in minutes/seconds rather than frames? Is it even possible to do this?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Long term, do we need to be thinking about modifying comskip to export times in minutes/seconds rather than frames? Is it even possible to do this?
    If we add support for edl it would do that.

To me that sounds like a good reason to switch from .txt to .edl, but I don't really understand the issues.

Also, if we did switch to .edl, would we need to make the server/plugin changes to get the frame rate?

sccrgoalie1

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    To me that sounds like a good reason to switch from .txt to .edl, but I don't really understand the issues.

Also, if we did switch to .edl, would we need to make the server/plugin changes to get the frame rate?
    Yeah maybe we should add edl support.

It will require different changes to the tv server and plugin for RTSP. Basically to pull the edl file.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I wonder whether it would be possible for the RTSP server to include the required details as metadata rather than querying the server directly. Maybe that isn't convenient (because TsReader would then have to provide some kind of interface for accessing these details)... but maybe it could enable other TV Server front ends to more seamlessly support the same feature. Only a [probably very] dumb idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom