Live TV...Pixellates/Freezes momentarilly....impossible to view...:( (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Terminatng the service is not enough. You also need to deactivate the start or it will be launched at the next reboot. However it is the MediaPortal process that consumes CPU. This looks like a wrong codec setting. For testing purposes you could replace LAV by the inbuilt Microsoft-DTV codecs, which will use hardware acceleration in all cases, and see if your CPU % drops to normal levels.

Last edited:

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Changed all things LAV....including audio....to built-ins....and ran for 90 mins.
    Typical CPU now between 15 and 20%....and that's with UTorrent/Search Indexer/Comodo all ON

What are "normal levels" for CPU activity BTW??
    upload_2015-5-9_15-35-56.png

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MePo with LiveTV HD on should be in the 20% range. When idle about 5-10% , hence your current system load looks alright to me now.

Are you now satisfied with your TV experience?

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    150 mins later....and rate well up once more (80 to 90)

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-9_15-44-47.png
      upload_2015-5-9_15-44-47.png
      561.9 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The screenshot shows MePo at 38%, not unusual in case of some plugins performing their jobs. Hard to tell what happens without takin a look at the logs. Probably one of the plugin.

Launch MePo in Debug mode via Watchdog. If you then still see MePo CPU load peaking, there is a problem. If not de/activate the other plugins one by one until you identify the cause. Again full logs might indicate what is going on.[DOUBLEPOST=1431193021][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way: the Windows Search service is still running.

The above about the plugins only applies if it is the MediaPortal process that increases CPU usage. Otherwise you need to watch the process window and capture what is suddenly using CPU time.

Keep in mind though that MediaPortal is a HTPC software. It's use parallel to working on the PC is prone to be affected by other active software on the same machine.

Last edited:

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    OK....things did improve with LAV disabled....but image often jerky.
    TBH....I'd like to get to the bottom of the possible LAV config problem if this is at all possible?
    MP setup guides all seem to extoll the virtues of LAV.....so I have now reinstalled a new set of LAV filters, and had another try!!
    0 discontinuities after 90 mins or so....but jerky video (and corresponding audio drops!)

I've included 'Report a bug' type logs...and include screen shots before I switched off.

I realise that Searchindexer is still on....not sure how to permanently stop it....if it is in fact contributing to the problem...:(

Today, Quality 85 and Level 95 throughout....so external conditions 'apppear' to be having zero effect...?
    upload_2015-5-10_14-47-48.png

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you have discontinuities on the server side then you'll get pixellation, stuttering etc. no matter what codecs you use.

With regard to the occasional periods where MP is using significant CPU...
    In my opinion, if that is an issue (it may just be a plugin doing some extra work in the background => non-issue), it's completely separate to the pixellation, stuttering etc. thing. If you want to try different codecs that's 100% fine... but please realise that's going off on a bit of a tangent.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Searchindexer:
    Open "Services", find "Windows Search", right clock and open the properties. Set start type to "deactivated":
    Search.JPG

LAV codec
    LAV works, however, it uses a Little bit more CPU load than the MS codec. For me this means that CPU % of MePo increases from ~20% when watching HD to ~30% when I use the LAV codec.

75% CPU load
    What are you doing here?
    [2015-05-10 14:34:35,357] [Log ] [60 ] [INFO ] - HID: try mapping usage FE02
    [2015-05-10 14:34:35,357] [Log ] [60 ] [INFO ] - HID: Repeat

This is running forever, and possibly the reason of the observed high CPU load. Are you using some specfic HID device?

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    75% CPU load
    What are you doing here?
    [2015-05-10 14:34:35,357] [Log ] [60 ] [INFO ] - HID: try mapping usage FE02
    [2015-05-10 14:34:35,357] [Log ] [60 ] [INFO ] - HID: Repeat

This is running forever, and possibly the reason of the observed high CPU load. Are you using some specfic HID device?

I'm using an MCE remote (Emprex 3009) as a HID device.....as I can get some functionality this way (although Green button still doesn't work!)

......could this be the culprit!...or in some way be contributing to the problem....??

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Your log contains an endless number of the above entry. Yes, it could be the culprit.

If your remote is 100% MCE compatible it is recognized as such and no further setting is required. In trying to decipher the mediaportal.xml it looks as if you have set "Use generic HID device" to yes. Can you untick that and just select "Use MCE remote or keyboard" in the third tab instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom