Live TV Timeshift SSD or RAM disk? (1 Viewer)

lodale

Portal Pro
April 9, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi
There has been alot of discussions about what medium is best for timeshifting on a dedicated MP server. Today I found out that my servers dedicated SATA disk was to slow for timeshifting of live HDTV. The picture glitches (about same time for all my network clients). I changed the timeshifting folder to my SSD disk (same disk as OS) on my server, and the clients don't have any glitches when watching HD TV.
I have read som posts that SSD discs are not good for timeshifting (they wear out), and that RAMdisc is the best solution for timeshifting.
Since I am running a server (Win 7/32) for TV with about 5 clients I need about 8GB for timeshifting.

What is best RAMdisc or SSD disc (dedicated or same disc as OS)?
Is there any free RAMdisc software that could allocate 8 GB?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    RAMdisc is the best solution for timeshifting.
    It is, indeed. As long as you have enough Space. If you want to pause Live TV in the morning and want to continue in the evening, then a RAM disk is not big enough. But for all "normal" cases there is nothing better.

Yep, IMDisk Toolkit
    It's Open Source and has no limits. And it replaces Daemon Tools or similar also.

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi.
    RAMdisc is the best solution for timeshifting.
    It is, indeed. As long as you have enough Space. If you want to pause Live TV in the morning and want to continue in the evening, then a RAM disk is not big enough. But for all "normal" cases there is nothing better.

Yep, IMDisk Toolkit
    It's Open Source and has no limits. And it replaces Daemon Tools or similar also.
    Downloaded and installed IMDisk Toolkit. I have 8 GB memory on my Win 7 server, would like to mount 4 GB to Ramdisk. Can't find out how to do this (seems that the memory is not available), Is this something you can help me with? Do I need to reboot my server, has this anything to do that windows 32 only can use 3 GB memory?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is this something you can help me with? Do I need to reboot my server, has this anything to do that windows 32 only can use 3 GB memory?

Should not be too hard. Just click on the RamDisk Configuration Icon on your Desktop.
    1.png

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Already got an R: drive?
    Running as admin?
    Dont have drive R:
    My UAC is sett to minimum (every user has admin)
    I have 8 GB memory installed but win 7/32 can only use 2,99 GB memory (I have 5 GB memory available), but it seems like the ramdisk program only can use the available memory that win 7 allows to. I can set a ramdisk to 1 GB but not 5GB

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have 8 GB memory installed but win 7/32 can only use 2,99 GB memory (I have 5 GB memory available), but it seems like the ramdisk program only can use the available memory that win 7 allows to. I can set a ramdisk to 1 GB but not 5GB
    Oh, of course. Yes. Only the MOBO/BIOS see that 5GB. Windows can't see it. The software can't see it. You can't use it for a RAM disk unless Windows can see it.

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Oh, of course. Yes. Only the MOBO/BIOS see that 5GB. Windows can't see it. The software can't see it. You can't use it for a RAM disk unless Windows can see it.
    Thanx that is what I thought:confused:, maybe its best to install Win 7/64 on my server?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom