Live TV Timeshift SSD or RAM disk? (2 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Installed the new driver on my TBS 6891 and changed my timeshifting folder to my SATA disk still stuttering. Changed back to timeshifting on my SSD (OS disk) and no stuttering.
    Post your client and server logs please. Maybe you've got two problems.

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    You have my server logs and I have 3 clients and all have the same problem about stuttering (simualtainlesly) HD chanels (no problems with SD chanels) when I use the SATA disk for Timehifting and have no stuttering when I use the SSD disk for timeshifting.

The way I see it is that RAMdisk is the solution. The problem is that I cannot find a Ramdisk software that could handle memory that is not allocated in Windows 7/32. Does anybody have any suggestions for RAMdrive software that works (and doesn't cost much)?

Maybe I just should reinstall my server to Windows 7/64 but this is costly and takes alot of time.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The problem is that I cannot find a Ramdisk software that could handle memory that is not allocated in Windows 7/32
    Have you tried IMDisk with awealloc driver?
    An additional driver, awealloc, in this install package supports memory allocation beyond 4 GB limit on 32 bit Windows through address window extension, AWE.
    It must be set to use in Config as on screenshot
    Zwischenablage-1.jpg

And you need to setup your BIOS to support RAM above 3,25 GB It's a bit different from BIOS to BIOS how this is called. BTW, you need to activate this BIOS setting for x64 also, if you want to access 4GB++ Ram...

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I have tried IMdisk, but didnt get it to work for non allocated memory. I didnt no about the Bios part, I will try this.
    Thanx in advance :)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    On my older ASUS mainboard this is called "Memory Remap Feature" and it's located in "Advanced" -> "North Bridge Configuration". This must be enabled if you want to use more than 3GB of RAM. But as told before, this can be named and/or placed different, depends on your Board and/or chipset...

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Just to add my experience of Ramdisk use. I currently have 16Gb RAM installed in my server which is running Win 7 32 bit. The RAM disk created is 12Gb and has worked flawlessly since installing it over 12 months back.

I use Dataram RAMdisk software which creates the RAMdisk at bootup, and also does it quite quickly too. You can also create a RAMdisk image that is also loaded at bootup, so you can then have a RAMDisk with a folder structure to suit your timeshift setup. See >>here<< It costs US$14.99 (9.24 GBP or 90.86 NOK ) and I would recommend it for its ease of use.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You have my server logs and I have 3 clients and all have the same problem about stuttering (simualtainlesly) HD chanels (no problems with SD chanels) when I use the SATA disk for Timehifting and have no stuttering when I use the SSD disk for timeshifting.
    Your server logs tell me that stuttering only occurs sometimes with HD channels. If you are seeing stuttering all the time then I'm saying there could be other problems. That is why I was asking for client logs. To be clear: what I wanted to do was compare the corresponding client and server logs so I can follow the stream from tuner to screen/speakers.

The way I see it is that RAMdisk is the solution.
    Seems like a workaround to me. Whatever. If that is what you want to do then that is your choice.

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Just to add my experience of Ramdisk use. I currently have 16Gb RAM installed in my server which is running Win 7 32 bit. The RAM disk created is 12Gb and has worked flawlessly since installing it over 12 months back.

I use Dataram RAMdisk software which creates the RAMdisk at bootup, and also does it quite quickly too. You can also create a RAMdisk image that is also loaded at bootup, so you can then have a RAMDisk with a folder structure to suit your timeshift setup. See >>here<< It costs US$14.99 (9.24 GBP or 90.86 NOK ) and I would recommend it for its ease of use.
    Did you have to do any changes i bios for enabling (recognizing) the memory?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This always is necessary. But it's possible that BIOS has this enabled by default. Depends on the mainboard you have. More recent boards should have this enabled automatically, but your's has not, I'm sure.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England

I don't think that I did. The motherboard was new, and I did check that it could see all the memory when I installed it. I looked up the manufacturers specification to see the max amount of RAM the mobo could accept. I used 1600Mhz RAM, but had a problem of the mobo constantly defaulting to 1300Mhz - this turned out to be a CPU limitation that was the cause. It hasn't affected the way the RAMdisk works at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom