LiveTV freezes and shows a lot of artifacts (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I will upload logs without mdapi as fast as possible.
    Good, thanks. (y)

But: I don't have multiple problems! I only have problems with tv playback and it is always the same issue.
    I'm sorry but I don't believe this statement. The log files that you've posted previously show that you have continuity errors in the server side logs. I can say with 1000% confidence that is not a playback issue.

The post you mentioned is from April ;-)
    Yep... but as far as I'm aware the problem(s) that you had at the start of this thread are the same problems you have now.
    Is that true or not?

As said, it's not a signal, streaming, network, HDD, etc. related issue. It happened on 4 different HTPCs with different hardware, since almost 9 or 10 month now. So in this time period alot of things were tried and a lot of components were changed, software were reinstalled, etc. pp. But after all the issue still exists. So of course it is a software related issue.
    I will make no more comments about the cause(s) until I see the new log files. :)

Also, as said in the past, I'm a developer, too. Since 15 years or more. Since 5-6 years I'm developing with C#. So I'm able to understand bugs/issues and how to find them. I'm very interested in fixing this issue, so you can send me a lot of debug versions with special log output to find the issue. Or you can tell me where to look in the code. The build environment for MP is working on my pc and I successfully build MP, so I'm also able to create my own debug versions, but I'm a newbie on this project and it is very big, so it's not easy for me to know where to look at.
    Great that is helpful... but I think you're jumping way ahead. ;)
    The first thing that must be determined with 100% certainty is whether the problem is present only on the client side (ie. playback) or server side or both.
    This first step does not require deep code understanding, time-consuming investigation, debug versions, etc. etc. etc. No - just logical and thorough testing. Here is the test:
    1. Disable MDAPI.
    2. Disable EPG grabber.
    3. Open DPC latency checker.
    4. Open task manager, go to the performance tab, and enter the resource monitor.
    5. Open TV Server configuration. Use the manual control section to start timeshifting an [HD] channel that you know has shown problems in the past.

Now you simply watch the latency, CPU %, HDD %, discontinuity counter and signal levels. If you can do this for several hours with no discontinuities, we move to the next test...

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It's still running, but here is an intermediate result after 1 hour of timeshifting:

CPU:
    - Without LatencyMon: 8-15 %
    - With LatencyMon: 17-25 %

HDD: Nothing special. I'm using a ramdisk (I have 2x 4 GB RAM installed. 4 GB are used as ramdisc with ASrock XFast RAM). Of course the issue also happens with timeshift buffer on my SSD.

Signal level: 100
    Signal quality: 100

Channel: ZDF HD (Astra 19.2 E), FreeTV, 720p (EPG Grabber and MDAPI disabled)

Discontinuities: 0

LatencyMon: Which value(s) do you exactly need?

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After two hours: Still the same values.

Btw: the CPU values are for the whole system! TVService.exe only consume 3-8 %.

Edit:

I was never able to watch ZDF HD two hours without any issue, so I think this test is finished.

I will now test the same with EPG grabber activated, and after that I will also activate mdapi.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

Don't forget to grab log from server and client for each test you made :)

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I deleted the log files for the tests where no issues occured, because the log files had no information which are interesting. Of course I will save log files if there are any discontinuities.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I understand but maybe it can help to compare :) when working and not :p
    Or maybe not.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK! The beginning of a log files are always contain the same content. After starting timeshift nothing is logged anymore (only PS StandbyWakeup log entries).

So I thought only logs are interested which contains information about any further issues after starting timeshift.

Attached you will find logs. Currently I got discontinuities on ZDF HD after a few seconds everytime I start timeshifting. The first time they occured was after I enabled mdapi again, but mdapi is not running on zdf hd (there was no process on task manager). So for testing I disabled mdapi, but I still got the discontinuities at the moment.

Attachments

• log_nomdapi.zip
      13.7 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    How did you disable mdapi ?
    It seems that rename the 'MDPlugins' plugins should be enough (for sure rename it and also unreg the filter will be the best match) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom