102.3 KB
    Last edited:

GeYe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Has anyone tried watching HDR content with madvr and MP already ? I tried some of the demo files and recognized there is no gui at all as long as the clip is running... no pause menu, no info... nothing. Still pressing "pause" still does its work but no gui at all :whistle:o_O

I just don't get HDR to run on a AMD RX 460 with a LG OLED E6D. Don't know what the problem ist. Reinstalled drivers, checked settings in madvr and amd settings, tried other HDMI cables, eliminated for test the AVR and connected direct to TV. Just nothing work.

Actual settings ycbcr422 with 12 bit.

rohnfe

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @GeYe i think you will have to use the Win10 HDR feature for HDR on AMD as far as i know ... at least that was stated in the doom forum.
    Additionally:

added support for sending HDR metadata via win10 (not tested yet)

And i guess you have installed the Creators Update already ?

GeYe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Creators Update is installed and Win10 HDR is set in madvr, but i don't see a option in any settings of windows to activate hdr. Normally i should fullfill all needed requirements for hdr. I also set Deep Color mode on LG TV. For now i'm out of ideas-

mrbonsen

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • December 6, 2008
    Brensbach (HE) ehemals Görlitz
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just don't get HDR to run on a AMD RX 460 with a LG OLED E6D. Don't know what the problem ist. Reinstalled drivers, checked settings in madvr and amd settings, tried other HDMI cables, eliminated for test the AVR and connected direct to TV. Just nothing work.

Actual settings ycbcr422 with 12 bit.

interne gpu with DP1.3/1.4 or externe gpu with hdmi 2.0 (nvidia) or DP 1.3 (AMD) -> av-receiver (hdcp2.2/hdmi2.0) -> tv (hdmi2.0/DP1.3) -> Now must work 4K/60Hz !
    think of, hdmi cable 2.0 ! ;)
    gpu ram ? Manufacturer exaggerated gladly with 4k informations. 4gb for gpu minimum (n)

Last edited:

GeYe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AV-Receiver is Denon AVR-X1200W https://www.denon.de/de/product/homecinema/avreceiver/avrx1200w and can hdcp2.2 and hdmi 2.0, but i also tested the direct way to TV. TV can all the funny things ;). I can play HDR files from USB.

HDMI Cables i tested one of Amazon AmazonBasics Hochgeschwindigkeits-HDMI-Kabel 2.0: Amazon.de: Elektronik and some from kabeldirekt marked as 4K, HDR KabelDirekt 2m HDMI Kabel / kompatibel mit HDMI 2.0a: Amazon.de: Elektronik . Also i can't recommend the last one, because i had some problems earlier with it.

GPU has 4 GB. 4k, 3D, HEVC and all the other good things work really good with MP and madvr. :)(y)

mrbonsen

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • December 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AV-Receiver is Denon AVR-X1200W https://www.denon.de/de/product/homecinema/avreceiver/avrx1200w and can hdcp2.2 and hdmi 2.0, but i also tested the direct way to TV. TV can all the funny things ;). I can play HDR files from USB.

HDMI Cables i tested one of Amazon AmazonBasics Hochgeschwindigkeits-HDMI-Kabel 2.0: Amazon.de: Elektronik and some from kabeldirekt marked as 4K, HDR KabelDirekt 2m HDMI Kabel / kompatibel mit HDMI 2.0a: Amazon.de: Elektronik . Also i can't recommend the last one, because i had some problems earlier with it.

GPU has 4 GB. 4k, 3D, HEVC and all the other good things work really good with MP and madvr. :)(y)

Ok, HDR is now the next house number after 4K ;) -> Although described at game, but applies also to HTPC
    Was ist High Dynamic Range? - HDR auf dem PC ausprobiert - GameStar

Last edited:

rohnfe

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @GeYe Ok so i have more or less the same config (Denon 6200, LG 65E6 but Nvidia GPU) so this should work out if the driver and GPU support HDR as well.
    On my computer i was able to use the Windows 10 HDR switch when using the latest gpu driver (i switched back to an older version cause it broke a lot of other things, Nvidia HDR is working anyway).

It should look like this (HDR and advanced color):

upload_2017-5-3_8-53-26.png

Issue here is its always on and not just when HDR content/games are used. But maybe thats different with the AMD card.

Update:

Have you tried switching to 8bit? I think i have read that RX400 cards are using 8 bit for HDR at least for games...don`t know if that applies for movies as well.
    If this is the case there might be still another issue... does the LG support/switch to HDR when a 8bit HDR signal is sent to it ? I don`t know :(

Last edited:

mrbonsen

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • December 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here screen 4k on HTPC -> win7 (64) MP 1.16 Final

nvidia settings -> Everything out ;) (performance)
    tv -> All image enhancements turned off
    av-r (denon) -> videosignal on bypass

madvr settings -> default (Must now optimize according to personal perception(y))

Attachments

• graka.png
      graka.png
      36.6 KB
    • 4k.png
      4k.png
      817 KB

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    just saying.... on my system (amd rx460) HDR is working only if display is set up for

4:2:2 8,10,12bit @ any freq
    4:4:4 8 bit @ 23 or 24 hz

i think it is a limitation of HDMI 2.0

also i noticed that madvr produce washed out image on mpc and MP but if i use win10 tv and video player, video is well tonemapped and have good colors. i don't know why ..... would be that madvr is bugged in sending hdr metadata by win10 API ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom