[WiP] madVR support in MP1 (4 Viewers)

rohnfe

Portal Pro
September 9, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
also i noticed that madvr produce washed out image on mpc and MP but if i use win10 tv and video player, video is well tonemapped and have good colors. i don't know why ..... would be that madvr is bugged in sending hdr metadata by win10 API ?

Maybe the "Win10 TV and video player" (as its using EVR renderer) sends PC Levels to the display and MadVR sends TV levels... you could check the TV`s blacklevel setting for the specific display mode used....or the other way round depending on what is configured in madvr :)

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Maybe the "Win10 TV and video player" (as its using EVR renderer) sends PC Levels to the display and MadVR sends TV levels... you could check the TV`s blacklevel setting for the specific display mode used....or the other way round depending on what is configured in madvr :)

sorry i don't understand what are you meaning.....

rohnfe

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you send TV levels (limited RGB/16-235) to a TV that is set up for Full Range RGB (0-255) black will be washed out.
    As 16 (TV Level black) is not the same as 0 (PC Level black), it will show up as grey rather than black.

You can check the Nvidia/AMD control panel as well ... there is a setting for RGB either 16-235 or 0-255. And madvr can be setup either way too as well as the TV s display mode. Normaly the TV`s mode blacklevel should match the one used by the player:

• madvr 16-235 -> gpu 0-255 -> TV black level: low
    • madvr 0- 255 -> gpu 0-255 -> TV black level: high
    • madvr 16- 235 - > gpu 16-235 -> TV black level: low
    As EVR renderer is probably used by the Win Player it probably uses the settings chosen in the GPU control panel.
    If you dont use madvr as renderer in MP you can use EVR instead...

Choosing 4:2:0 in the gpu`s control panel always ends up in sending TV levels to the TV.

I hope i did not mix it all up :ROFLMAO:

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    ehmm... i still don't get the point,but the chain is always lav untouched ---> madvr full -> amd drivers rgb full. Tv doesn't have any setting for levels

madvr
    SDR : OK
    HDR: whashed out

win10 player
    SDR: OK
    HDR: OK

when i say washed out, i don't refer just to black, but also colors look whashed... i mean what is (or should be) red is displayed like ocher color.

to be sure that win10 player is displaying HDR i did like this: put off hdr slider in windows , then played again and all looks wrong, wrong color, wrong luminance etc.....

rohnfe

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I never used the win10 player ... so i can only assume how its working.
    Normaly every recent TV has a setting for blacklevel... at least i would think so.
    Anyhow this whole HDR thing is just at the beginning.

As i played a HDR clip for the first time using madvr the picture was washed out as well and i had to change the blacklevel used the by the TV`s HDR display mode.
    Thats all i wanted to say(y)

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I never used the win10 player ... so i can only assume how its working.
    Normaly every recent TV has a setting for blacklevel... at least i would think so.
    Anyhow this whole HDR thing is just at the beginning.

As i played a HDR clip for the first time using madvr the picture was washed out as well and i had to change the blacklevel used the by the TV`s HDR display mode.
    Thats all i wanted to say(y)

I'm going to dig for that setting in TV menus or i will try to change the chain for HDR content in HTPC, just to see if helps.

Do you know if there is a way to tell to madvr to switch HDR on/off like it changes display freq ?

rohnfe

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hm as far as i know it is working for Nvidia...i dont have to do anything (using an older driver version) than enabling HDR metadata passthrough for madvr.
    As soon a file containing HDR metadata is played the TV is switching to HDR mode and back to normal when finished.

Using the newest nvidia drivers and WIN10 HDR mode does not seem to work as intended (maybe its intended by MS/nvidia i dont know) as it turns on HDR for all Applications and the Desktop (i dont want that), this seems to be still buggy ... either on windows or on nvdia side. I can only speak for the nvidia side of this issue ;)

Which TV are you using btw. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom