Media Portal 2 - rumours (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    why? because i don't believe in open source philosophy... for me a good example of the open source problems are here, in MP....
    For me, MP is the main reason that I believe in Open Source!
    I find it very strange that you choose to use MP as HTPC-software, and not believe in Open Source.
    Obviously you choose MP because it is the best product for you needs. These "needs" (functions, price or whatever) have been fulfilled BECAUSE MP is a Open Source project, not despite.

If it had not been Open Source - MP would probably never be as great as it most certainly is!

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    why? because i don't believe in open source philosophy... for me a good example of the open source problems are here, in MP....
    For me, MP is the main reason that I believe in Open Source!
    I find it very strange that you choose to use MP as HTPC-software, and not believe in Open Source.
    Obviously you choose MP because it is the best product for you needs. These "needs" (functions, price or whatever) have been fulfilled BECAUSE MP is a Open Source project, not despite.

If it had not been Open Source - MP would probably never be as great as it most certainly is!

Well, i'm using MP because is, by far... the best HTPC software available (and also, now i've many hopes in MeedioOS...). ;)

regards,

Damandan

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2007
    Tegelen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Wow!, I am impressed and very happy about how the current MP works and then I discover that a completely new version is already in the making. With lots of new cool things. However I still haven't seen any comment on maybe conscidering an x64 version. Since now is the time that a lot of refactoring or even complete rewriting is done, I reckon that now would be a good time to start an x64 branch. Just a thought. That's my only downside with MP at the moment.

I have to restart into Vista 32-bit just to watch tv, because Vista x64 can't playback AC3 sound with MP. Which means no 5.1 sound on Sat1, Pro 7, RTL, ARD, ZDF and DVD's. And I really like 5.1 :D.

For the rest I wish you good luck with the current and the new version of MP.
    It is by far the best customizable media center I have seen so far.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    generaly speaking, i would only use any x64 Windows on a workstation where i have tools (3D animation, video / audio editing) that actualy take use of 64bit (optimized).

the main problem of vista is/was the driver support and in the x64 versions (WinXP/Vista) this problem is even worse. :(

we are talkning about x64 compatibility, but i do not think that there will be a x64 "optimized" version, since we have a very small dev. team working on it and maintaining 2 versions would be a "time problem".

we will see what the developers can come up with :)

Damandan

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2007
    Tegelen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, a version which is able to pass-through AC3 is fine by me. I don't need an optimized version, I just need one that is able to actually output the AC3 AS IS. But if this is to much work for a too small group of users then I can understand that. I was just my 2 cents.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well, a version which is able to pass-through AC3 is fine by me. I don't need an optimized version, I just need one that is able to actually output the AC3 AS IS.
    hmm...
    doesnt that work by plainly enableing "S/PDIF" in MediaPortal Configuration -> DirectShow Filter Control -> MPA + configure MPA as audio codec in Movie/Television ? :)

or is there something special in VISTA x64 why it doesnt work there? (works nicely in WinXP :) )
    does it work with other applications? if not then the driver/its configuration of the soundcard could be the reason.

kellizer2

Portal Member
    December 3, 2006
    Going back to the Numbers frodo released - do they actually mean anything then? frodo, surely you can let us know another clue (better yet, the code book!) of how to decipher the number.

Might have to get the old Colossus machine out of retirement to solve this one!!

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Well, a version which is able to pass-through AC3 is fine by me. I don't need an optimized version, I just need one that is able to actually output the AC3 AS IS. But if this is to much work for a too small group of users then I can understand that. I was just my 2 cents.

Thats a Vista x64 problem as far as I know and has nothing to do with MP.

Besides, MP is a .NET application so there are no x64 specific versions. Normally a .NET app when run under a x64 OS will automatically be a x64 application because the framework on those OSs is native x64. Unfortunatly due to things like codecs etc. still being mainly available as x86 (which a x64 Software cannot use) MP is marked to always execute as x86 and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Not like there is any downside to this though.

Damandan

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2007
    Tegelen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I can play almost anything just fine in x64 except offcourse the AC3 audio. This is because of the fact the Vista x64 needs an x64 application to be able to Passthrough AC3. A good proof of this is the fact that if you play a DVD in Vista x64 via WMP x86 then there is no sound. If I however play this exact same DVD in the x64 version of WMP then I have marvelous 5.1 Sound. So x64 + x64 app --> lovely 5.1 Dolby Digital (or DTS). I don't know if this is a Vista only limitation as I have never installed Windows Xp x64 because of the lack of drivers. Vista drivers are available pretty well overall (at last).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom