media portal being sold on ebay (1 Viewer)

favian

Portal Member
June 2, 2006
thoughts about this nonsense?

just search for media center and dozens of listings for media portal come up.

isn't this wrong? what can we do to stop it?

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

yes. That is done often. See biggest discussion here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=10905

Not much we can do.

Btw. its allowed by GPL to sell MP! So its nothing wrong with what they are doing. Whats wrong, is the way in which its been done. Most anoying thing is that they often use a wrong name like Windows Media Center Media Portal Edition.

Flip.

Isaac Lin

Portal Member
    March 31, 2006
    Taiwan
    Can they remove "MediaPortal" keyword in source code and then sell it, if they have been mentioned that source code is coming from MP and follow GPL agreement?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi All

More free advertising.

Remember if they hit the setup icon, after install, all the links are there to bring them too this Homepage.

Everyone Welcome.

:D

jackelectronics

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    FlipGer said:
    Hi,
    Btw. its allowed by GPL to sell MP! So its nothing wrong with what they are doing. Whats wrong, is the way in which its been done. Most anoying thing is that they often use a wrong name like Windows Media Center Media Portal Edition.
    Flip.

This could be keyword spamming and is banned on eBay. I auctioned my old Matrox P650, which is in fact similar to the Matrox Parhelia. I got done by eBay officials for keyword spamming by putting (Similar to Parhelia) in the title!

In eBay policies, recordable media containing recorded data are generally not allowed unless they are public domain such as MediaPortal. What is disgraceful is that some sellers are charging rip-offs for something that is meant to be free! This is sick profiting, especially when they don't donate to MediaPortal!

I also hate it when Power Sellers put a sample of their positive feedback directly on their eBay listing to show their professionality. In my opionion, it's not and it's simply boasting and "hiding" all the negatives and neutrals the seller may have.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sea...fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=media+portal&category0=

Users who are viewing this thread