Media Portal sync with H.264 movies? (1 Viewer)

Steve

Portal Member
December 11, 2005
can media portal find and play h2.64 movies? I put them in the proper folder by MP can't find them? Solution? Thanks :)

tklon

Portal Pro
September 3, 2004
Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

Did you enter the file extension in the mp setup?

Start Media Portal Setup, goto Movies -> Movie Extensions and add the extension of your h.264 movies. If they play in windows media player they should also play in mp.

Steve

Portal Member
December 11, 2005
First of all, we were able to locate our videos by using .mp4 extension.
We encoded these avc/h.264 videos through nero recode, and they run perfectly in Nero Showtime. We selected the nero video and audio codecs,
which are used in Showtime, but it glitches in Media portal. What could be the explanation for this, seeing as they run so well in Showtime. Also,
what is the best aspect ratio, seeing as original only uses a small portion of the screen. To keep the ratio, would stretch or normal be the best?

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Carrying on in a somewhat similar vein...

I've got the latest versions of Quicktime Alternate and FFDShow installed. Media Player Classic will play back Apple H.264 HD trailers with picture and sound, but Windows Media Player (and of course MP) end up with no sound.

For whatever reason I can't get a graph while the video is playing in MPClassic, but I managed to get this from MP. Help?

h264graph.gif

dipje

Portal Member
    May 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't know if this is acceptable for you or if it would even work,

but I found that files encoded with x264 + he-aac in a MP4 container played fine from Windows Media Player, and played fine in MediaPlayerClassic, both on the machine I encoded them on and on my MediaPortal machine. But when viewing the .mp4 files from MediaPortal, it seemed to only reach around 5 frames/second, very choppy playback.

This was already quite a time ago, who knows what is fixed in the current releases. Anyway, I couldn't figure it out, doesn't seemed to be a codec problem. In the end, I muxed the .MP4 audio & video stream into a Matroska file (.mkv) and that one played fine! For that was acceptable so I stuck to .mkv for my TV-backups.

As for the letterboxing (black bars), make sure that whatever subtitle-filter might kick in isn't set to 'padding'. Nero's decoder has an option like that ('Line21 / SP padding' or something like that) but it is disabled by default IIRC. VSFilter (VobSub) and FFDshow also have options like that, and those might be enabled by default.

If you have a movie that is neatly 16:9 encoded, the subtitle filters expands it to 4:3 by letterboxing, so the subtitles are rendered into the black bars, and not over the video. This is perfect when you have a 4:3 display, but bullocks when you have a 16:9 display so turn it off :).
    The same might happen if the movie is 2,35:1 and you have a 16:9 display (1,78:1).

Anyway, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread