[Blog] MediaPortal 2: What does it bring to the table? (1 Viewer)

DFergATL

Portal Member
September 21, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I saw this blog post on Facebook and MP2 is looking really good. I tried MP1 a few months back but had to go back to XBMC. for HULU. On Facebook when I posted about MP not having HULU I was lead to believe that it does have HULU. Actually I would take either Hulu, Amazon, or Netflix. But, I need at least one of them.

So, before I even download it. Does MP2 have a Hulu Plugin? If it does, will it add my Hulu Queue and Hulu Subscriptions to my library like in XBMC?

Also one of my favorite plugins in XBMC is "Cinema Experence" http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87563 Does MP2 have anything like this? I could do without this one, but I would be sad. But I have to have one of the online streaming sites.

While I think that MP looks and feels much better then XBMC, It doesn't do me any good if MP2 doesn't have the functionality I need.

David

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi David,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately MP2 does not support any of these subscription based streaming sites, sorry. I do not expect that we are able to provide these soon, but anybody who is interested in developing those plugin is more than welcome will get as much support from our side as possible,

The cinema experience is also not included yet, but the feature is very interesting. I'll also add it to my wishlist :)

DFergATL

Portal Member
    September 21, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Home Country
    If somehow Hulu were to appear on MP. I would jump ship from XBMC in a heartbeat.

Just one more question if I may, and then I will go back to being a lurker. Has any thought been given to supporting thingsv like Aereo or NimbleT? I know they are new, but have been thinking about one of these as I don't have cable.

Last edited:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey David - what we need are more community/plugin devs to start jumping on the MP2 bandwagon and develop such plugins! So do what you can to 'inspire' them ;) We have always had trouble getting developers and testers from the US/Canada. I'm not exactly sure why. :confused: But it has been a problem for us even with MP1 both for TV-Server as well as many of the services you want which are only available in the US/Canada. Sure there are ways, but it's another hurdle for developers and testers and if they don't/can't use it daily themselves there is not so much motivation. Can you talk to the MPAA for us? :ROFLMAO:

I know some users have succeeded in using Hulu Desktop and other services, by using the MultiShortCut plugin with MP1, but not totally successful for all users, or that user friendly. It would be great if OnlineVideos plugin (which is available in the next release of MP2!) would support it, so maybe you can find some US developers to contribute a site parser for it?

DFergATL

Portal Member
    September 21, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Home Country
    @Dadeo

I could not offer development help, I can only do some python scripting. What I could offer would be QA testing as I am an actual QA Tester. I do hardware/firmware QA for the LSI Megaraid Controller.

Honest Guys, I tried MP and really did like it. I am not sure about why some things require a plugin in MP but don't in XBMC to get the same/ equivalent experience. I did find that setting up and getting the basics of MP1 harder then XBMC. But the overall experience with MP was great.

DFergATL

Portal Member
    September 21, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Home Country
    @erichzann

Very Cool. When I tried MP1 a few months ago the only Netflix plugin had been discontinued and I could not get it to work. At this juncture I will wait for an MP2 version. But, I have hope. :)

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    OHIO
    Home Country
    I'm not sure how quick I could get anything done or if anyone else wants to look into it, but as soon as source code is released I'm willing to look at porting to MP2. It's been awhile since I've worked on MP2. I started a few early on threads so will have to get myself familiar with the code, review this source code and figure out how to port over.

DFergATL

Portal Member
    September 21, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Home Country
    After taking a look at the Netflix plugin that is being worked on for MP I was excited. I took a look at what I watch via HULU and thought I might just be able to add a tuner to my setup and record those shows and I could move to MP. But that isn't the case. There are about 5 shows that I get on HULU that I would not be able to get over the air. Things from SyFy, ABC Family or TBS. So, I would have to give up watching about 5 series if I moved to MP and got a tuner card.

So, I really need HULU. If I could code, I would try it myself. If I had the money I would pay someone to do it. This goes back to the inital frustration I had when trying to find Media Center software to begin with. One software has one plugin you need, an other has a different plugin you need. But, none of them have all the functionality that you need, very frustrating. MP with both Netflix and Hulu would set it apart from the others like XBMC and Plex. Both of them have Hulu but either no Netflix or a broken Netflix. If there was one that had both, at the same time, it would be amazing.

So, I am begging, pleading with someone to please seriously consider a Hulu plugin. Take a look at the one for XBMC it works great, is stable and has some great features. Like, having your Hulu Queue, Hulu Subscriptions put directly into your XBMC library. Making it seamless for the user, very, very nice.

I had a question about youtube on MP. IF I remember correctly when when I tried MP, the youtube plugin had no way to search youtube. Is that the case?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I'm not very firm with Online video streams as I don't have an internet connection which is fast enough to use such. But afaik Hulu and Netflix are Video Streaming services and for that it could (should) be possible to view them with the OnlineVideos plugin (available for MP1 and MP2). With XBMC you need a special plugin for every service, I know. But in MP you have one plugin to serve them all...

Users who are viewing this thread