[Blog] MediaPortal 2: What does it bring to the table? (1 Viewer)

DFergATL

Portal Member
September 21, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
@Lehmden

Hulu and Netfix are not avaliable in the OnlineVideos plugin. and now that you mention it, I have never liked the all or nothing OnlineVideos plugin in MP. I would rather just download and install just the ones I want. with MP I have to download it, then go through and remove all the stuff I don't want.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I admire your pluck and determination David :p In the end that usually pays off with MP ;) I would say it is one of the signs of a typical MP user!

While I can appreciate your POV, the advantage of OnlineVideos is that you don't need to be a sophisticated developer to add a site using the site parser. If we needed a separate plugin/dev for each of the 371 sites listed on the Online Videos Site List we probably would not have most of them ;)

I realize that does not solve your problem. Like most of us you would like easy access to the media you want, and wouldn't even mind paying for it. Hulu and Netflix are two of the best options available for that. The truth is that the industry is not there yet, especially when such services are unavailable to the majority of MP users.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OnlineVideos allows you to choose which sites you want to have - you could have only 1 Site in your local list. So I am not sure why you say "all or nothing". Removing all sites that are there as easy start can be done from inside GUI with one click.
    OnlineVideos is build as an API for every developer. As site-developer you do not need to care about GUI or HTPC Application - just the website you want to scrape. The same code can be used for every front end (and there are 3 already). I could even write an XBMC front-end for the OnlineVideos API.

Anyway, there is no HULU or Netflix support as those sites use highly protected and encrypted streams, which we cannot play via DirectShow. It always boils down to open a browser with flash or silverlight plugin playing the video. This is not the kind of integration we want to achieve with OnlineVideos.

DFergATL

Portal Member
    September 21, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ya, I just really liked MP when I tried it, but am anchored to XBMC for the Hulu plugin. If that ever changes I will be the frist one to download and try MP. Anyway, back to lurking..

Best Wishes

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @morpheus_xx - Could MP2 bring this to the table?

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/18_Contribute/99_Design_Concepts/Smart_View

No other media center or or media player can offers a view mode that combines non linear stretching with zoom. This view mode could be left on all the time, as there is no need to switch view modes. MPC-HC comes close in that if you view a movie full screen you can press "8,8,9,9", but that will non linear stretch + zoom.

The only thing it doesn't do is black bar detection, although that could be added, however I wanted to make the concept simple to implement.

Buggles

Portal Member
    July 15, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Question:
    - Everything is configured from inside the MediaPortal 2 GUI - no need to exit to launch a configuration utility any more!

I know that a lot of people like this, but i disabled the current settings menu (1.3) so my kids can not make any changes..
    Is this still possible and use the seperate config programma?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Question:
    - Everything is configured from inside the MediaPortal 2 GUI - no need to exit to launch a configuration utility any more!

I know that a lot of people like this, but i disabled the current settings menu (1.3) so my kids can not make any changes..
    Is this still possible and use the seperate config programma?
    You could simply delete then "Configuration" plugin from MP2-Client.

Users who are viewing this thread