MediaPortal freezes randomly (1 Viewer)

PatrikN

Portal Member
February 12, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi Infinityloop!

It didn't work.
I tested to install MS Vista Ultimate, even if I for the moment don't own one, to test if there was a difference, AND it was. In Vista everything works.
But I don't know why?

I still think itäs something with AMD 690G chipset with Directx 9.0C or later and the Catalyst driver 7.9 (for ATI embedded X1250 graphics).

I don't want to run Vista, because I think it's overkill and it takes to much system resources, making the HTPC a bit more "loud".

Do you have any clue about a solution?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi Infinityloop!

It didn't work.
    I tested to install MS Vista Ultimate, even if I for the moment don't own one, to test if there was a difference, AND it was. In Vista everything works.
    But I don't know why?

I still think itäs something with AMD 690G chipset with Directx 9.0C or later and the Catalyst driver 7.9 (for ATI embedded X1250 graphics).

I don't want to run Vista, because I think it's overkill and it takes to much system resources, making the HTPC a bit more "loud".

Do you have any clue about a solution?
    "could" be 2 things

1. driver bug of gfx-card
    2. Windows installation "broken"

:sorry:

other apps like i.e. games are working?

benjerry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi there. I have the same problem with same setup:
    Asus M2A-VM HDMI (690G chipset), Directx 9.0c, Catalyst 7.9

I shall try going back to a previous Catalyst version and see what happens.

edit: I reverted back to the version on Asus support cd which came with the motherboard. I don't have any freezes anymore. Version of driver is build 8342 which should be Catalyst 7.2(?).

edit2: I've just tried with Catalyst 7.7 from AMD website, but same problems with freezes again.

PatrikN

Portal Member
    February 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi everybody!

Even if we might have a "solution" on the problem, it won't help us in the feature.
    WHO can help us with this? That because the AMD 690G chipset are going to be (are already) "the best" solution for a small HTPC with all components integrated on the motherboard.

I think the "Media Portal Team" should take a closer look on this. But thats my opinion.
    Unfortunatly I haven't got the skills for it.

PLEASE help us!!

(I will try the other releases, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5 and 7.6, to see when the problem appear)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    PatrikN - The big problem is back on your shoulders for you to get enough information to the development team that do not have that MB to debug with.

PatrikN

Portal Member
    February 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm gonna be there as a "labrat" if you/they need some testing or answers.
    Hit me!

//P

Hi again!

I found an URL to ATI, that shows the "improvments" and "fixes" in every version of Catalyst driver:
    http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/catalyst_74_release_notes.html

You just have to change the number after the 7 to get the other version, such as 75, 76, 77.
    If anyone that's more in to this (more clever) than me can check what might be the "thing" that have changed from 7.7 and 7.2 (as Benjerry has tested) , that can freeze Media Portal.

benjerry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hello again!

Tested 7.2 display driver from AMD website - checks out fine.
    Tested 7.4 display driver from AMD website - failure! freeze.
    Shall try 7.3 now.

PatrikN

Portal Member
    February 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    GREAT!!!

Good work, i haven't had the time yet, my kids are still up.
    Tell us when you've tested it.

benjerry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    GREAT!!!

Good work, i haven't had the time yet, my kids are still up.
    Tell us when you've tested it.
    Hi. Just did and I wasn't suprised to see that 7.3 failed also. I suppose that Asus has a reason why they don't put a newer version on their download site than 7.2.

grtz

PatrikN

Portal Member
    February 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi!

I thought it wouldn't. This is the new features in the 7.4 release, can it be the "problem"?
    If yes, is there anyway to "disable" it in the catalyst program?

New Features
    This release of Catalyst™ introduces the Avivo Video Converter for the Vista (32-bit) operating system. The Avivo Video Converter is a tool that provides a quick and easy way of converting videos from one format to another. The Avivo Video Converter found within the Catalyst™ Control Center accepts a wide variety of file formats as a source, and outputs to file formats such as MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4/DivX, WMA, H.264/AVC and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom