Anonymous

Very cool. May I suggest :
- using XML (DocBook ?) or HTML as the source format
- issuing this documentation under the GNU FDL license

Thanks to the authors!

A

Anonymous

Hi Epoch,
At the present time the documentation is being distributed in PDF format, for regional reasons. It was created with A4 LTR size, then converted to US LTR, and then formatting got unwieldy. So for now, it is being created in OpenOffice [.swx], converted to PDF for present distribution, then later an A4 Ltr will probably be produced. Other formats are fine, but too much maintenance at the moment. Once MP is finalized, and a finished document is produced, then we may consider alternative formats.
I guess we just have too much time on our hands! :wink:

Mr.Mitchell

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Actually XML/Docbook sounds like a good idea. That way more people can work on the manual at the same time (if it is in CVS) and if I am not mistaken you can generate documentation in all kinds of formats like PDF for easy printing or HTML to put the documentation online.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your interest. Let me rephrase to make my intentions clearer :
    a) 1st thing 1st: I think there is need for a licensing scheme that goes well w/ GPL to allow translators (and plugin authors, and....) contributing to the documentation.
    b) Opening the doc requires :
    - an open format, like HTML or XML to warrant easy access
    - a strong structure to make a homogeneous final document from the input of a variety of contributors
    c) The final output should be generated from the structured data, hopefully using proven tools. I personnaly like Pdf. I am sure others will want HTML, or RTF...

Hence my Docbook proposal : an XML scheme backed with good document generators (don't know the status on windows).

I could try looking into this if you'd like. I would need the OO source to play with it. Is it in the CVS tree ? Or could you post it on the website ?

Thx in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

To be fair the normal uninstall is usually more than sufficient. I regularly uninstall and reinstall MP 1 as part of the testing process and only very rarely have I needed to use the manual procedure posted by @CyberSimian to overcome the error you ran into. I also believe there is a procedure to repair the MySQL install in the event...
    To be fair the normal uninstall is usually more than sufficient. I regularly uninstall and reinstall MP 1 as part of the testing...
    I am trying to install Mediaportal with TV Server. I tried many versions, including current x64 and new prerelease x86, and...
    Replies
    Views
    I've setup my HDHomeRun in MP1 as (4) IPTV cards rather than Atsc. I can see the (4) Atsc cards, but just have them disabled. I did it this way so I didn't have to edit the channel names every time tested a new TV-server install. Anyway, it works. I don't know if this would get you past the BDA driver issue. I'll provide more...
    I've setup my HDHomeRun in MP1 as (4) IPTV cards rather than Atsc. I can see the (4) Atsc cards, but just have them disabled. I...
    I am brand new to MediaPortal. I have installed MP 2.4.1 on Windows 10. It is a fresh install and fully up to date. I have an...
    Replies
    Views
    Sums up the problem I am having. Sorry if I wasn't clear. No, #selectedthumb is not preserved on going to the next window. That's exactly what I am trying to solve. An example is moving from mytvrecordedtv.xml to mytvRecordedInfo. The variable changes from a screen grab thumbnail from the video file to a channel logo during...
    Sums up the problem I am having. Sorry if I wasn't clear. No, #selectedthumb is not preserved on going to the next window. That's...
    Good evening, I have a basic understanding of using skin.setstring and am able to set a skin property when a control gets focus...
    Replies
    Views
    Didn't know computers are available in Canada's jails... :p
    Didn't know computers are available in Canada's jails... :p
    Hi folks, basically I have this m3u list with links I am trying to scan with the TV configuration tool but all the channels even...
    Replies
    Views
    @CyberSimian As I have just posted in the MP2 subforum I will stay with MP1 for the time being. Many thanks for all your very informative and detailed responses. I will take your advice and monitor the Scheduled recordings list for the discrepancies you have described. Cheers.
    @CyberSimian As I have just posted in the MP2 subforum I will stay with MP1 for the time being. Many thanks for all your very...
    I am in Australia. My problem is with recorded tv programs. Most times the program title and info are correct but quite often the...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom