MediaPortal Support (new version 2005-11-20) (1 Viewer)

Zyphrax

Portal Pro
October 7, 2005
Netherlands
OK i added the validation and the directX field, have to implement the detection though.

I had to stretch the wizard a little bit, for the directX field to fit in.

Newest version (19-11-2005 2) can be downloaded here:
MediaPortal Support Wizard 19-11-2005 (2)

I might work on the rest of the Todo list later this day...

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just ran wizard and got error "An unhandled exception has occurred..." "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

On error panel clicked on continue button.

Note: I ran the wizard on a machine that did not have MP installed and it is a very weak (underpowered) laptop but I wanted to see what it would do. Hmmm....

Edit: I saw that it did not detect the CPU (on this IBM Thinkpad laptop) on this computer!

Last note: I got the error panel when I moved to step 3. The error panel popped up as I pressed next on step 2. If I press continue on the error panel and then press theback button and then press next button on step 2 page I will again the the error.

Mike

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Hi Zyphrax,

Great program. I just tested the latest version on both my systems.

Everything was detected correctly. Except on my old laptop the CPU (P3 1Ghz) was not detected.

I think it is good to list everything that is installed in the support form. So I would list both .NET version and all TV cards if multiple are installed. (More information is always better).

Cheers,

/James

Zyphrax

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Thanks for testing guys. I'll check out the CPU detection as well, and some more error handling.

I have to think about a nice way to show all the tuner cards. First i'll try to get this version stable, so that all the MP users, can start using the new wizard.

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Zyphrax cracking job so far!

I've noticed one possible problem and one definite problem when your application fails to locate an MP installation:

1. I can direct the application to my xbmc\bin\release folder and it doesn't recognize that this folder contains an instance of MP. I guess its your call as to whether this is an issue or not.

2. Continuing from the previous ... you can move to the next page in the wizard irrespective of whether an installation has been located or not and this results in an exception (Object reference not set to an instance of an object ... in RetrieveInformation).

Aesthetically this is a really professional effort.

I also have a feature request. Microsoft now have an application that can test that a user's computer is capable of running MCE and having a similar tool for MP would be of great benefit to new users and since your application looks so good it would be nice if you were to add similar functionality.

Zyphrax

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Smirnuff said:
    1. I can direct the application to my xbmc\bin\release folder and it doesn't recognize that this folder contains an instance of MP. I guess its your call as to whether this is an issue or not.
    In the detection of whether a MediaPortal location is valid, I try to find MediaPortal.exe.config and MediaPortal.xml in the specified location. If they don't exist, the location is invalid. Is one of these files missing in your location?

Smirnuff said:
    2. Continuing from the previous ... you can move to the next page in the wizard irrespective of whether an installation has been located or not and this results in an exception (Object reference not set to an instance of an object ... in RetrieveInformation).
    Whooops... little messagebox preventing that from happening is coming up :)

Smirnuff said:
    Microsoft now have an application that can test that a user's computer is capable of running MCE and having a similar tool for MP would be of great benefit to new users and since your application looks so good it would be nice if you were to add similar functionality.
    Good idea, although I think that should be a seperate tool. It should gather some system settings, and then determine whether the user has the appropriate .NET framework installed, right tv cards for MyTv etc. etc. Sounds like a nice project for after this one.

Zyphrax

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Another new version:
    MediaPortal Support 19-11-2005 3

Yeez, detecting some of the system info kills me :)

New in this version:
    - Add: The MP location is mandatory when Gather MP information is selected
    - Add: DirectX version detection, and list values
    - Fix: Improved exception handling
    - Fix: Rewrote a lot of the WMI stuff, should be more stable
    - Fix: Rewrote the Processor detection
    - Change: changed Motherboard Chipset to Motherboard

ToDo:
    - Tv Card detection
    - Driver version detection of Video-/Audio-/Tv card

I used a WMI viewer to see if I could get the name of the Chipset of the Motherboard, but I couldn't :(. So for now, I changed the Motherboard Chipset to Motherboard. Which isn't all bad, because the Motherboard actually offers a bit more info than only the chipset.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

nice progress again. DX detection works well on my system. :)

But there are some issues:
    - Motherboard detection does not seem to work on my system, perhaps you can display Motherboard and Chipset?
    - CPU detection: Would it be possible to add the clock rate (MHz)?
    - TAB navigation on step three mixed up because of the DX field. ;)

Flip

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Processor Detection is now working on my laptop "Detected: Intel Pentium III processor" (still no clock speed ;).

/James

Zyphrax

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    FlipGer said:
    - CPU detection: Would it be possible to add the clock rate (MHz)?
    James said:
    Processor Detection is now working on my laptop "Detected: Intel Pentium III processor" (still no clock speed ;).
    I made some adjustments to the WMI code for CPU again. Maybe now it will show your clock speed.

FlipGer said:
    - TAB navigation on step three mixed up because of the DX field.
    Lol, I did a full renumber of the tabindexes this time. Should work fine now. :oops:

FlipGer said:
    - Motherboard detection does not seem to work on my system, perhaps you can display Motherboard and Chipset?
    I'll have another look at this, but I can't promise good news. The nasty thing with WMI is, is that some manufacturers add this information to their hardware, and others don't. Or that some manufacturers use field X to provide the information and others use field Y.

That is also what is causing the pain in detecting the processor name. My Intel Pentium 4, reports as: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8Ghz, your processor reports as: Intel Pentium III processor. Now by mixing fields, and detecting what information is present and which is not, I try to generate a good name.

Please try again guys... And thanks a lot for testing :D

Newest of the newest MediaPortal Support 19-11-2005 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom