Mediaportal throws exception at startup (2 Viewers)

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Evening all,

I am stuck. MP is throwing an exception at startup which has me baffled.

Logs attached. Many thanks in anticipation of any help

RH

Attachments

• MediaPortal-Error.log
      3.1 KB
    • MediaPortal.log
      6.6 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    MP is throwing an exception at startup which has me baffled.
    I see that according to the log file you are using MP 1.17 :eek:. That is fine if nothing changes in your system, but (for example) if you install a newer version of a plugin, there is no guarantee that the new plugin will work with an older version of MP. Anyway...

The log file shows that there is an unexpected "<" character in one of the XML files, but the log file does not indicate which XML file is at fault. I would suggest checking the following:
    • SplashScreen.xml
    • References.xml
    • MediaPortal.xml
    • Any XML files that you have changed recently.
    -- from CyberSimian in the UK

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    according to the log file you are using MP 1.17 :eek:

Thank you CyberSimian for the pointer. It was indeed a corruption in the references.xml file. Solved.

I am indeed on MP1.17 at the moment. I will look at upgrading at the same time as I upgrade Windows later this year (from 8 to 11 !).

The one thing that has held me back on MP1.17 for now is that the drivers for my iMON display/remote somehow conflict with the HID coding within MP that came in around the release of 1.22 (I actually reverted to 1.17 from 1.23 it's all well documented on threads within the forum).

I am quite reliant on the VFD of the iMON (it doesn't matter about the remote part), so if I could find a compatible driver for the display only then I would be back to 1.23+ like a shot.

Thank you for your help with the start up problem. All is working fine. I replaced the corrupted gobbledegook that had appeared in part of the references.xml with proper code from a backed-up references.xml and all is working again.

RH

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The one thing that has held me back on MP1.17 for now is that the drivers for my iMON display/remote somehow conflict with the HID coding within MP that came in around the release of 1.22 (I actually reverted to 1.17 from 1.23 it's all well documented on threads within the forum).
    Ah yes, I had forgotten about that. I have never used such a device, so cannot suggest how to resolve the problem. Sorry. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    Ah yes, I had forgotten about that. I have never used such a device, so cannot suggest how to resolve the problem. Sorry.

Indeed. A big challenge. I had hoped it was a generic VFD in the iMON and that I could find a driver for just the display only. Alternatively if I could find the source code for the iMON driver and strip out the bits that don't apply to the VFD and re-compile it.

It's all a bit beyond my ancient skills (I learnt to code Z80 machine code on the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC in the 1980s and after I started work in 1988 I never found the time to learn Visual Basic or C properly - I have only a rudimentary knowledge of those languages!)

I live in hope one day I may find an answer and compile myself a lightweight VFD driver for iMON compatible with future releases of Windows.

Thanks again for the help with the MP start-up problem

Users who are viewing this thread