Mediaportal wants to uninstall directx10 (2 Viewers)

gardar

December 15, 2008
Home Country
Iceland Iceland
I'm trying to set up MediaPortal on a windows xp setup that has directx10 and the MediaPortal setup want's to remove my directx and replace it with directx 9c
How can I prevent this?

thanks.

gardar

December 15, 2008
Home Country
Iceland Iceland
All pc's have directx9\10 (only Vista can use 10), Mediaportal is trying to make sure you have the latest 9.0c from here Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

So if your worried install above or your own locale and then restart the Mediaportal install.

Incorrect, Directx10 can be used on xp and that's what I'm doing...
Read about it here: Download DirectX 10 for Windows XP

So my question remains, can I prevent mediaportal from removing directx 10?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

As this page makes very clear, this is not an official Microsoft release.

You can't expect MP to support unsupported hacks to your system. There is every chance that this directx version will break something in MediaPortal, and you will then be asking for help in fixing it.

Best wishes,

Mark

gardar

December 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Iceland Iceland
    Hi,

You can't expect MP to support unsupported hacks to your system. There is every chance that this directx version will break something in MediaPortal, and you will then be asking for help in fixing it.

Best wishes,

Mark

But doesn't MediaPortal support dx10 on vista? Why doesn't it do the same on XP? Is there a big difference?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hi,

Best wishes,

Mark

But doesn't MediaPortal support dx10 on vista? Why doesn't it do the same on XP? Is there a big difference?

1) Under Vista MP is still using DirectX9 (ex), so no DX10 is not used under Vista. DX9 and DX10 are both co-existing in Vista.

2) DX10 under XP is nothing "real". Most likely its just emulating DX10 features in software (as the driver framework in XP doesn't support all the needed features). So if you really dont need to have some game running with XP + DX10 there is no point in using it (althou I cannot believe that any came would run at any good FPS with such software based implementation)

Users who are viewing this thread