Migration from AMD 690G to 780G (1 Viewer)

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
I know this is a little OT but....

I just tried to flash with @bios from vista sp1, it went all the way up to 100% then a bunch of memory related errors popped up. I clicked OK maybe 20 times and got the message bios flash failed ! I tried F5, F4 and the original F3 that I hade made a backup of, allways same result.

So I just had to reboot and yup you guessed it, noe display and one long beep.... then it automaticly tried again, no display, one long beep. Then on the third try it sucessfully started, and I got a menu where I choose "last known working" or something like that. Then it started fine.

Unfortunatly I don't have a floppy so I guess I'm stuck with @bios

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
It's not a matter of money, I'm sure I have one somewhere, it's more a matter of taking the effort. The medium went out of style 15 years ago, it's tragic that it's still a requirement.

EDIT, actually... no thanks to gigabyte, but google...

The builtin bios flash utility actually supports usb flash disks formated with FAT, so I was able to upgrade the bios.

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I tried a couple of MP settings last night to sort out the resume from standby without much success. Time to upgrade from RC1 to the latest SVN, I think. It appears to be reasonably stable from what I see.

Might also do the BIOS update as well.

:D

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It's not a matter of money, I'm sure I have one somewhere, it's more a matter of taking the effort. The medium went out of style 15 years ago, it's tragic that it's still a requirement.

EDIT, actually... no thanks to gigabyte, but google...

The builtin bios flash utility actually supports usb flash disks formated with FAT, so I was able to upgrade the bios.

You mean you can put it on a USB stick?
    That is good news!
    I agree that it is stupid to use a floppy driver that is in no computer any more for many years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The big issue I currently have, if i record a program and want to watch an other one, my system gets slow.
    When i push a button, it isn't reacting for 10 seconds. Anybody else got the same problems?
    I currently have RAID 0 with to disks, worked great on my previous system, but I think it sucks on this one.

I did not remove the RAID 0 settings of my previous system, but just removed the C (windows drive) and created a new C partition.
    I think that I should completely remove all previous RAID 0 settings, in order to let it work.
    Anybody having similar issues?

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    -----------------------------
    I also have the standby issue.
    If the HTPC is in hibernation, then nothing is recorded!!!!

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Check your settings especially the "Wake up for events" setting in PowerScheduler plugin of TVServer.

My current state is that I've re-flashed the BIOS to F4. I'd done that before but got an error from the BIOS utility. This time, no error. (Everything takes so long as the TV/PVR is in use most evenings).

Before turning in I then ran a test - start PC, schedule a recording for 30 minutes, put MP back to the main screen and wait. PC suspended, then started up again and recorded the program. Eureka!

So one more test. Schedule something to record early in the morning.

This morning, no recording. My PC wakes up but I get TVServer errors (unable to start time shifting etc.).

It appears that once the DVB-T (Hauppage Nova-T 500) has been used - whether live or recording, it cannot be used again after the PC has been suspended until TVServer is restarted.

Next up will be an upgrade to BIOS F5 and to the latest SVN. I was thinking of doing that last night - just ran out of time. If that fails, then I will put the log files up on the Forum and investigate automatically restarting TVServer.

Last but not least could be a trial of GB-PVR.

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The big issue I currently have, if i record a program and want to watch an other one, my system gets slow.
    When i push a button, it isn't reacting for 10 seconds. Anybody else got the same problems?
    I currently have RAID 0 with to disks, worked great on my previous system, but I think it sucks on this one.

I did not remove the RAID 0 settings of my previous system, but just removed the C (windows drive) and created a new C partition.
    I think that I should completely remove all previous RAID 0 settings, in order to let it work.
    Anybody having similar issues?

Ok solved this one.
    I've got 2 GB memort (512 used for GPU), but somehow windows only saw 1Gb.
    So 512 used for GPU and 512 left. Logical this is a issue.

Now I switched 2 the other colored banks and there is 1.5 GB for windows and its fast.

fanformusik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Zitat von doornjostje
    I see that the F5 bios is available for download:
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0)

Be careful - this BIOS might not work with all mainboard revisions. I flashed it using @BIOS, with no error messages or warnings. But my board didn't start up afterwards! At this time, the above BIOS isn't distributed across Gigabytes @BIOS servers, too.

If you want to try this BIOS, make sure you have a USB stick backup of the original BIOS file at hand!

KRA

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    As it says in the link, it's for Rev 1.0 boards, there is also a rev 1.1, although afaik the only known difference in the 1.0 and 1.1 is the heatsink size.

I will however warn about the @bios utility, I do not recomend it. I've seen others with problems as well. Mine failed, but my board managed to restore the bios on third POST try. I was able to flash the F5 from within the bios with a usb flash disk.

I still however am unable to playback HDTV with EVR render and hardware accelerated codec (HA doesn't work with WMR).

Bios F3:
    Catalyst 8,5 = No picture
    Catalyst 8,6 = computer lockup (system wide, not limited to MP)

Bios F5
    Catalyst 8,4 = No picture on HD, and also happens with SD
    Catalyst 8,5 = No picture
    Catalyst 8,6 havn't tested yet.

I've tried setting the memory size on the graphich to auto/256/512 but doesn't help, and I always use the same NB driver as the catalyst version.

With Aero enabled I only get bob and weave deinterlace.

I bought this mobo/igp because it was supposed to handle hdtv with ease, but it seems it's crippled (deinterlace), and have serious problems with MP. It does however playback HDTV fine with other players than MP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom