Migration from AMD 690G to 780G (1 Viewer)

Nemulate

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
IOW
Home Country
England England
Yeah a number of people have reported problems with 8.6 but hopefully 8.7 is out any day :)

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just a little update....

After reading about a few issues with the current SVN, I've tried using a tool called Hibernate Trigger rather than upgrading MP. With this, I run a bat/cmd file to kill MediaPortal (pskill) and stop TVServer (net stop TVService) on suspend and start them both up again on resume. Seems to be working. I'll keep this until the SVNs stop talking about stuttering HD TV etc, and then I'll try MP without this hack.

Cool keep me updated. :D

Sorry for not providing an update earlier. :sorry:

HibernateTrigger seems to work nearly all of the time. I do a restart every now and again just to keep things clean and I've not missed a recording in ages. Sometimes MediaPortal (front end not TV Server) fails to start for some reason but I just kill it and start it up again.

Am still waiting for a stable MP SVN before I try PowerScheduler alone again.

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Use use this program? Hibernate Trigger

Can you share the batch files you use?

Do you have any problems, when a scheduled recording, needs to start, when the HTPC is in s3 mode?
    Thx again.

stevan

July 22, 2008
    Home Country
    Don't know if this is useful but another 780g chipset board by MSI K9A2GM was tested by Australian Personal Computer Magazine. It was very unstable until they used 1 Gig Corsair ddr2 667 ram in the DIMM 3 and 4 slots (which btw halves your memory bandwith). After that it was rock solid after several hours of benchmark testing. Might be worth a try?

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Use use this program? Hibernate Trigger

Can you share the batch files you use?

Do you have any problems, when a scheduled recording, needs to start, when the HTPC is in s3 mode?
    Thx again.

I'm about to upgrade to RC2 to see if it's still needed. I'm not at the HTPC at the moment, but the files simply do something like...

Code:
    pskill Mediaportal
    wait 1000
    net stop "TVService"

and

Code:
    net start "TVService"
    wait 5000
    mediaportal.exe

Paths and exact EXE names should be checked as I'm typing from memory. Wait and pskill are from the Windows resource kit or such like (google pstools).

In general it's ok and wakes up to record programs except for the odd occasion - usually when I have manually woekn up the thing via the keyboard at around the time it was about to wake up. TVServer gets in a pickle and has to be killed.

Don't know if this is useful but another 780g chipset board by MSI K9A2GM was tested by Australian Personal Computer Magazine. It was very unstable until they used 1 Gig Corsair ddr2 667 ram in the DIMM 3 and 4 slots (which btw halves your memory bandwith). After that it was rock solid after several hours of benchmark testing. Might be worth a try?

Most interesting...... :D

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Have upgrade to RC2 and it seems to cope with suspend/resume quite nicely. I've stopped using HibernateTrigger for now. I've just set up a suspend/resume/suspend/resume test to see if all is well.

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Have upgrade to RC2 and it seems to cope with suspend/resume quite nicely. I've stopped using HibernateTrigger for now. I've just set up a suspend/resume/suspend/resume test to see if all is well.

:D m8, for the testing. Going to try later today.

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    RC2 seems to work a lot better with suspend/resume. Everything I've done so far works. :)

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi installed RC2. Works great.
    Trying to suspend my system, but it will not.
    Can you tell me your exact relevant settings for:
    -TV server plugin
    -TV client plugin
    -Vista settings for suspend.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom