mkv files? (1 Viewer)

Ur[s]uS

Portal Member
April 5, 2008
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Thanks, uggabugga.

I went through the guide. Everything was set up as per the directions. There were a couple of places where things just didn't match up. For example, it says:

Next select "movie post processing". Double-click "directvobsub" from the "available filters" list.
There is no "directvobsub" in the long list of available filters.

directvobsub is same as vsfilter
it deals with subtitles
you can find it on sourceforge, it comes with combined community codec pack, might be worth a look for all-in-one answer

for koolman, i think that's a subtitle error too
do you have vsfilter installed, with a DirectVobSub folder in your program files?

koolman53

Portal Member
April 16, 2008
Arizona
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
vsfilter

Hi UruS
I don't have vsfilter or directVob folder installed. 720p mkv iso xvid and divx works great I am only having problems with 1080p.
thx for the help.

R300

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi UruS
    I don't have vsfilter or directVob folder installed. 720p mkv iso xvid and divx works great I am only having problems with 1080p.
    thx for the help.

You need to give more details on what codecs you use and are installed on your system....also a rundown on your htpc hardware, os, etc

Ur[s]uS

Portal Member
    April 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Hi UruS
    thx for the help.

as r300 said, need more details
    the error you posted seems to refer to text output, which hints at subtitle issue for me
    do you have divx or xvid with srt/idx/sub files? if so, do the subtitles display?
    do any of your 720p mkv have subtitles? it' possible they do not, but the 1080p does?

enchant

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    Home Country
    I downloaded and installed directvobsub, making the changes in that guide. Didn't help.

I thought that maybe something else I have installed might be causing the problem, so I reformatted a system and loaded it up from scratch. Aside from basic WinXP SP2, I've installed the latest Media Portal, ffdshow, Haali media splitter, and directvobsub. Still won't play mkv files.

I really think that there's some step that isn't included in the installation - something that everyone has installed and just assumes that everyone else has.

In the MediaPortal codec guide, there is some information about configuring ffdshow, but it must be for an older version, because what they're showing in the guide:

ffdshow-1.gif

is VERY different from what I'm seeing:

ffdshow-2.gif

enchant

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2008
    Home Country
    BINGO!!!

Thanks, UruS. Installing the version you pointed me to solved the problem.

In my own newbie defense, I'd like to point out that if you Google ffdshow, the top entry is Sourceforge. At the top of that link is a big bright green "Download ffdshow" button. This is where I got that older version.

koolman53

Portal Member
    April 16, 2008
    Arizona
    Home Country
    I am really new at this but what does subtitles have to do with my issues? what is happening to me is when I play 1080p movies they keep freezing and voice is off. I am not trying to be rude. and if i try using ffdshow it is worse. I am using coreAVC video decorder. it is weird because everything else works great except 1080p movies.
    Thanks for trying to help.

Lardy

Portal Pro
    April 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    What are the specs of your computer?

If you can play 720p video but not 1080p video then more than likely it is because your system can't keep up.

Users who are viewing this thread