Status
Not open for further replies.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
It's looking like Saturday evening CST I think.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    One simple request - in quite a number of plugins/skin threads, a new release is announced by simply updating an existing (and usually extremely long) thread. So you get the situation where MyPlugin v0.1.3.9 has a thread of 300 messages, then the 1st post is updated and the title of the thread changed to "MyPlugin v0.1.4.2".

The problem with that is that users have to troll through hundreds of messages looking for answers. THe other problem is that it's hard to tell that this is a new version. Normally, when I look through the forum for new messages, if I see something that looks interesting I check the # of messages it has. If it has hundreds, I assume it's old and I don't bother reading it. If it's got a relatively low number, it's safe to assume it's new and thus of interest. So, for example,

New! Announcing MyPlugin v2.9.4.2 #Msgs: 529 LastUpdated: Today 8:20am

is unlikely to actually be new.

New! Announcing MyPlague v3.1.2.0 #Msgs: 42 LastUpdated Today 8:20am

is far more likely to be new.

And of course the posts will be relevant to the version described, not old posts that are unlikely to be helpful. Nothing worse than dutifully reading through the entire thread hoping to find answers, and following instructions, tips, and suggestions that are not only no longer appropriate, but cause all sorts of problems when applied to newer releases.

That's my bandwagon, and the drum I'm beating!

Dir

Did anyone else notice that I didn't get around to making the actual request?

Could a new thread be opened when a new release of MP is announced, pretty please?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    I couldn't agree with you more dir. This is not and was never intended to be the official release thread. I just know a lot of people are looking forward to 0.7, and I have casually mentioned it a few times, so I wanted an official place to discuss progress and everything.

In the past we have made a brand new post generally when a release with significant new functionality has been released. Since we have our versioning nailed down, this means that from here on out, generally you will only see a new post for 0.7, 0.8, 1.0, etc. Releases such as 0.7.1 and 0.7.2 generally will receive much less fan-fare.

Felias

Portal Pro
    August 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    great news fforde, waiting anxiously for the new release! Thanks to the whole team!

dingo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Great news fforde!!! :) you guys rock! the plugin is awesome :)

pato_mld

Portal Member
    November 30, 2007
    Home Country
    As much as I'm looking forward to this release I'm looking forward to filtering (0.8) even more. But 0.7 is of course a step towards 0.8. Bring on 0.7!

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    As for Windows 7 testers, we already have a few people on our test team testing under Windows 7 (and things seem to be working correctly on there). Thank you for the offer though Galaphile.

So the changes to the image handeling fixed the other issues? That's great :D

Do you need an Windows 7 tester ;)

That's a good one, testing a beta software on a beta OS :rolleyes:

Considdering how stable and popular Windows 7 is I see no problems with this. Now that MP is fixed I'll probably set up a HD with MP 1.0.1 and Windows 7 as soon as it's released.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    Great to hear another release is coming, and by the way THANKS for this great plugin!

I also have a small suggestion for scraping. I have a large collection of educational documentaries that I use to teach with. Being a geek of my own sort (less tech, more social science), I also like to watch these sometimes at home. I have manually entered data and made my own coverart for MovingPictures, but if it could scrape that info from the web, would be even better.

The main site I use to get info on documentaries that aren't available on IMDB etc is Documentary Educational Resources (Documentary Educational Resources). It's like IMDB for academic films.

I realize I am in a *very* small niche with this, but if you are ever looking for something to do, maybe you could add this into the list of sites to scrape. Otherwise it's really not too hard for me to do this manually.

Thanks again for the great plugin!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom