Moving Pictures 1.0.8 Stable Available (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mArBLe

Portal Member
July 22, 2009
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Re: UPDATED: Moving Pictures 1.0 RC Available

That sounds like the exact thing I wanted. :)

However, how does one add optical discs to Moving Pictures?
Do I have to scan all my movies by inserting every disc in the disc drive, or can I search by title or maybe UPC code and add my movies which I have on discs?

maxx_nantes

Portal Pro
October 5, 2009

I guess you have to insert them all.
In MediaPortal importer, you have to check "auto import optical discs" (or something like that) and import your discs one by one.

mArBLe

Portal Member
July 22, 2009
Home Country
Sweden Sweden

Allright, that will be a pain. :(
It would be really cool to be able to import the database from ANT Movie Catalog, DVDProfiler or Movie Collectorz or other programs like that.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Allright, that will be a pain. :(
    It would be really cool to be able to import the database from ANT Movie Catalog, DVDProfiler or Movie Collectorz or other programs like that.

Allow Bulk Importation of Offline DVDs = Google Code Issue 240 (scheduled for v1.5.0, unless you register, star the issue and make it a higher priority)

Support Import of Offline DVDs via UPC Scanning = Google Code Issue 523 (scheduled for v2.0.0, unless you register, star the issue and make it a higher priority)

mArBLe

Portal Member
    July 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Perfect, thank you.
    I will star those. :)

omniaberry2

Portal Member
    August 13, 2009

Hello,

I love your plugin, it is one of the best in MediaPortal. I do have a question though...What are the changes from version 0.75 to 1.0? I mean the configuration window looks basically the same and except for better filtering in the GUI there are only adaptive changes and no additions.

What about adding better functionality for when using the GUI? Being able to choose from a list of possible matches when a new movie is being identified...being able to choose different backgrounds...and possibly a visual list of the actors since it is available on themoviedb.org? I mean when a movie is identified an I have to close MediaPortal and open up the Configuration it is very frustrating since this is meant for HTPCs which are usually meant to be controlled with a remote instead of a mouse.

Thanks,
    omniaberry2

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hello,

I love your plugin, it is one of the best in MediaPortal. I do have a question though...What are the changes from version 0.75 to 1.0? I mean the configuration window looks basically the same and except for better filtering in the GUI there are only adaptive changes and no additions.

What about adding better functionality for when using the GUI? Being able to choose from a list of possible matches when a new movie is being identified...being able to choose different backgrounds...and possibly a visual list of the actors since it is available on themoviedb.org? I mean when a movie is identified an I have to close MediaPortal and open up the Configuration it is very frustrating since this is meant for HTPCs which are usually meant to be controlled with a remote instead of a mouse.

Thanks,
    omniaberry2

Ever thought of looking @ the changelog link in the first post?
    Change Log - Moving Pictures

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Is there any way to make the covers be saved as .png like they were before?

I use Stark Covers to make all my covers look nice and remove the frames in the skin but now I have the transparent part of the .png show black as its converted to a .jpg.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Is there any way to make the covers be saved as .png like they were before?

I use Stark Covers to make all my covers look nice and remove the frames in the skin but now I have the transparent part of the .png show black as its converted to a .jpg.

No, artwork is now always saved as a JPG. This was done for several reasons. First PNG images are not great for storing photograph like data, they tend to take up a lot of space. When we used PNG images, some users were reporting several gigabytes worth of image files saved by Moving Pictures. These images take up a lot of space because PNG images use a lossless compression algorithm (meaning there will never be any image artifacts, making it in general look better). I know lossless compression sounds great and you are probably thinking that you would rather use more disk space in exchange for better quality images, but the reality is that 99% or more of all images downloaded by Moving Pictures were originally in JPG format anyway and then converted to PNG. So any image artifacts caused by the original JPG compression will remain once converted to PNG, rendering the quality difference moot.

Second major reason is that with older versions of MediaPortal, MediaPortal will try to load any PNG files in your thumbs folder into the skin cache. This is a bit technical but it basically means that when you switch to a new skin, the cache will be regenerated, all your posters will get cached and MediaPortal will crash from running out of memory. This is fixed in the latest version of MediaPortal but we still support some of these older versions of MediaPortal so we can not save as PNG files at this time otherwise there would be major negative consequences for folks running an older version.

So based on that we decided to go with JPG compression. If you would like to play around with your images though and use the transparency part of PNGs you have a few options. You can use Photoshop to batch convert the images to PNG for example. When you restart Moving Pictures if you give it a few minutes all your images in the new format will be reloaded, you may however have the "selected" cover switch on a few movies and would need to reselect them in the movie manager. Basically just a click of the right arrow a few times.

Sorry for the inconvenience. :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom