ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    is there a plan to implement the MediaInfo library into the "Movies" section? It'd be nice to have the same infos visible as for MP1 with "moving pictures." plugin

Thanks for feedback :)

Attachments

• Unbenannt.png
      Unbenannt.png
      1.3 MB

saitoh183

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I havent read much about what MP2 will bring besides a centralized DB (which is a great thing) but one thing i hope it eliminates is the multiple ways to add media to your library. I just started using MP1 (i still have my XBMC as backup) in combination with Mediabrowser 3 server (for centralization) and the thing that first turned me away from MP was the fact that there was so many ways to add media to your library that didnt even talk to each other. First you have the out of the box Video section that can create its own DB and can contain both movies and TV shows, then you can have Moving pictures or My Films for movies and MP TV-Series for TV show. Took a lot of reading to figure out how this worked. As a end-user i was really turned off by this but im a very technical guy so it nagged me not to understand fully. But the thing that brought be back to MP was that the Client is much more WAF friendly compared to Media Browser Classic and with a the addin for MP to link to the MB DB, it allows me to avoid all those movie/TV plugins. So i hope MP2 will adopt a more traditional route in simplifying the user experience because if its anything like MP1, you need to almost be a rocket scientist to get it up and running.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    While MP2 is still in development, it is much more convenient to import media.
    You can also add media from clients and will be available to all other clients as long as the Share is on-line / available / and or has Wake On Lan abilities.
    There is an Alpha version available and will run along side MP1.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    is there a plan to implement the MediaInfo library into the "Movies" section?
    Just a matter of skin- development. Mediainfo.dll is used already to add media infos to MP2 DB.

hope it eliminates is the multiple ways to add media to your library.
    In MP2 all Video, Audio and Pictures Media is handled by core MP2 itself. Exact the same as in XBMC... Online Media are also part of a basic MP2 installation, also there are different plugin (Online Videos, Webradio) than the "normal" media plugin used to achieve this. But all is stored in the same Database provided by the central MP2 Server, something that even XBMC can not dream of. Together with some other unique features like Picture in Picture support for evey type of media (e.g. you can watch a movie mkv while waiting for the commercial break to be over, having live TV in small pip window to not miss the end of the commercials...) or full 3D capable GUI it's the best HTPC software available today and tomorrow. Sadly MP2 is still in Alpha state, but we are pretty sure to release a first Beta this year...

First you have the out of the box Video section that can create its own DB and can contain both movies and TV shows, then you can have Moving pictures or My Films for movies and MP TV-Series for TV show.
    Not completely correct. Also you can use inbuild MyVideos to playback all types of Video incl. TV Shows you only can build a DB with metadata for movies with MyVideos. For TV shows you need (and only can use) TVSeries plugin. MyFilms and Moving Pictures are more or less obsolete in meantime. In earlier days the MyVideos plugin delivered with core MP1 was not very feature rich. That's why community plugins are developed. Moving Pictures is an integrated solution which can handle metadata scrapping itself. Very similar to MyVideos after the great rework done a year ago (more or less). MyFilms is a completely different approach. There you need to use external tools (AMC) to build your movie database and the MP1 plugin only is displaying the data from this external build cataloge. Both plugins are there because lots of long term users loves and want to keep them, also both are not necessary any longer...

saitoh183

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have high hopes for MP2. Yeah its in Alpha and i dont expect it to be fully functional in what it can currently do nor do i expect it to be user-friendly at this stage. What i do hope is that by the time it hits beta, some of those points are achieved.

Thanks Lehmden for the insight. I really cant wait for MP2 cuz when i was looking to move away from XBMC (even if i had it working perfectly) MP was my choice but with no centralized or real profile support i decided to go with Mediabrowser 3 till MP2 had more advancement. Now that i discovered the Mediabrowser plugin for Mp1, i have dove into configuring MP1 for my needs while using MB3 as a backend.

mr_poopyhead

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    i've been an MP user for around 8 years now, and despite the hair-pulling frustration, at the end of the day, it is the only platform that has 99% of everything i need an HTPC to do...

recently though, i've been tinkering with xbmc since they've added live TV functionality... from a completely non-technical point of view.. from totally a user friendliness perspective, i'd just like to share my experience.

adding media libraries to xbmc was one of the most shockingly simple and fast things. you point xbmc to a folder, you select what kind of media (movies, series, music) and it starts importing... literally 5 clicks of a button and your whole library of movies is added... in less than 1 hour, i added all my music, movies, tv series, including all fanarts, info, etc... it was a real eye opener coming from MP1

i don't mention this to put down MP2 work or anything... just pointing out what is possible on other platforms, and what needs to happen for non-technical people to fully embrace a program... i mean REALLY non-technical people... i'm pretty sure my mother could set up xbmc.

i love that movies/series/videos is all integrated into MP2 though and it's definitely a step in the right direction... thanks to the devs who spend their free time working on this...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    adding media libraries to xbmc was one of the most shockingly simple and fast things. you point xbmc to a folder, you select what kind of media (movies, series, music) and it starts importing... literally 5 clicks of a button and your whole library of movies is added... in less than 1 hour, i added all my music, movies, tv series, including all fanarts, info, etc... it was a real eye opener coming from MP1
    Agree 100% here. Excerpt for the fact you need to do so on every XBMC client you have. There are two things that are perfect (from a user point of view) about XBMC. The GUI- Speed and the way media files are added to the system. The GUi Speed of MP2 is near XBMC and far ahead of MP1. But adding Media is a long way to go, if we ever want to have such a easy to understand and handle solution for MP2...

saitoh183

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi.
    Agree 100% here. Excerpt for the fact you need to do so on every XBMC client you have. There are two things that are perfect (from a user point of view) about XBMC. The GUI- Speed and the way media files are added to the system. The GUi Speed of MP2 is near XBMC and far ahead of MP1. But adding Media is a long way to go, if we ever want to have such a easy to understand and handle solution for MP2...

No you dont have to add to every client. If you use MySQL...One client can be your master and all the rest will be updated and in sync.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No you dont have to add to every client. If you use MySQL...One client can be your master and all the rest will be updated and in sync.
    I know about that. But that really is complicated. Tried it long time ago but don't get it to work and gave up. All the easiness is gone this way. It's more like sharing DB inside MP1, not comparable to the MP2 way...

saitoh183

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I know about that. But that really is complicated. Tried it long time ago but don't get it to work and gave up. All the easiness is gone this way. It's more like sharing DB inside MP1, not comparable to the MP2 way...

MySQL way has come a long way if you havent tried it as of late. its not as complicated as it used to be. Its just as fast as setting up a local DB now. The only differences is the installation of MYSQL and point XBMC to the server. After that its the same process for adding Media.

Users who are viewing this thread