Moving Pictures - The New Movies Plug-in (Original Thread) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
3) That is actually bad data in the movie-xml.com database. Until we add a few new data providers you will have to manually correct stuff like that in the configuration screen. Sorry. :(

Fixed for that movie, but please remember anyone can fix this.

Just register on the site and you can update movie details, there is no problem with localized characters, some just need to be updated by users.

Again same thing with covers, if the coverart is not so good, you can upload better ones, and this will benefit all users.

zag2me is right. All the meta-data and artwork auto-downloading to your boxes is provided by the community itself. People like you guys. I posted a new thread talking a little bit about each site that Moving Pictures pulls data from. Please check it out and go visit these sites, and, if you have time, try contributing here and there.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
I have not had a play with this plugin as yet but I am extremely interested in it. I have a few questions about features use that may or may not have been considered:

1) Does the plugin support the "Watched" flag so that I could get a list of unwatched movies only?

2) I am currently setting up a home network where my main mediaportal client is also a server. My 2nd mediaportal client connects to the database on the server for its information rather than having to maintain two databases. Does the plugin handle this? ( UserGuides/CentralisedDatabases - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation ).
(P.S. I would be happy to help test this as I know there are not many using a dual MP client setup.)
No watched flag support yet. Sorry. As mentioned in the opening post this is a feature-incomplete alpha. There is a lot of functionality coming down the line but the plug-in is currently in early stages of development.

As far as sharing a common database between multiple instances of MediaPortal. Well you are welcome to try this, but it will never officially be supported by the plug-in. We will definitely be supporting multi-seat setups in the future though. So dont fear. We just wont be implementing it via a common db3 file on the network.

Wizard_TPG

Portal Member
October 25, 2007
Townsville
Home Country
Wizard_TPG, you'll discover pretty quickly that you can't maintain your databases like you're currently doing it.

Allan, I havnt tried it yet as I am still waiting for my new hardware to arrive however, several people seem to believe that it can and does work.
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...diaportal-machine-questions-43946/#post295026

As far as sharing a common database between multiple instances of MediaPortal. Well you are welcome to try this, but it will never officially be supported by the plug-in. We will definitely be supporting multi-seat setups in the future though. So dont fear. We just wont be implementing it via a common db3 file on the network.
Sounds good. If you need a beta tester for testng this just give me a yell. :)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Wizard_TPG, you'll discover pretty quickly that you can't maintain your databases like you're currently doing it.

Allan, I havnt tried it yet as I am still waiting for my new hardware to arrive however, several people seem to believe that it can and does work.
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...diaportal-machine-questions-43946/#post295026

Here are my thoughts, as a developer. It can work. But it will be buggy. You will have problems when you have both installs runnign at the same time. One copy of MP will make a change to the DB and the other copy wont know about it. It can create situations where the software behaves unexpected. In other words it will make your software buggy and it will introduce the possibility of your database becoming corrupted. That being said... it can work. Some pretty specific situations have to occur to create those kinds of issues. But still it is a hack. It's a dirty way of implementing multi-seat support when the software does not actually support it.

Wizard_TPG

Portal Member
October 25, 2007
Townsville
Home Country
I do agree with you.
As a programmer myself I am aware of issues that can be caused in this way. What really needs to happen is there should be a MediaPortal Database Server, much like the TV Server which can serve updates to the respective clients. This dosnt exist however so I am left with two choices:
1) Have two databases... Its a bit of a pain :/
2) Attempt to use a hacked shared dbase scenario.
I figure I will try number 2. Worst case, I can just reinstall MP and go the dual dbase method if I HAVE to.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Yeah... right now the only option for multi-seat support is option two. Which sucks. Hopefully MP2 will provide integrated support for multi-seat operation...

Conflicted

Portal Member
July 8, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
First of, great work :]

Second, is there a way (and sorry if this has been answered already and I missed it) to manually search a movie that doesn't get auto matched by putting in the imdb number?

For some reason there is a movie that wont get the right matches even if I search for the name manually.

Cheers

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
No not currently conflicted, sorry. You might want to head over to the movie-xml.com site though. It may be the movie is not in the database yet, and if that is the case you could probably add it pretty easily. (It's all user generated content).

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Will there be support for .rar-file archives way, way into the future of this plugin? There is a .rar plugin already for MP. Perhaps this could be utilized somehow in the future. I have no problem myself with unraring my media, but there are people who like to keep their media as rars. Also, XBMC has had .rar support for a long time. It could be a cool feature.

Emph

Will there be support for .rar-file archives way, way into the future of this plugin? There is a .rar plugin already for MP. Perhaps this could be utilized somehow in the future. I have no problem myself with unraring my media, but there are people who like to keep their media as rars. Also, XBMC has had .rar support for a long time. It could be a cool feature.

Emph

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    I don't know I had never thought about that. That is an interesting idea though and it certainly could be seamlessly integrated into the user experience. Basically, if a RAR file existed with videos in it, the importer would automatically pick them up. I am not sure I see a large value though because video is already compressed as it is (although with varying efficiency depending on the codec). Storage space savings when RARing a video file are not going to be very dramatic though. Plus hard drives are cheap and their capacity is skyrocketing. That being said if there is enough interest in this feature, maybe we could implement it.

I created an issue for the idea so it doesn't get lost, and I flagged it as Tentative. If there is enough interest in this then we might implement it at some point down the line.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom