Moving Pictures - The New Movies Plug-in (Original Thread) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hmm... do I need to create a google account to post a bug report?

After I added the iso and img extensions they are added perfectly to the database.
They are however not playing. It seems like moving pictures are trying to start them as normal video files and not mounting them. I only get a black screen "Fullscreen video" and then it stops.

When I start the same movies from standard "My Videos" a window pops up "loading video" or something like that which is there while mounting the files and then it starts.

Ok, I added an issue for playback of mountable image files. Hopefully this will get into 0.6. I don't think it will be too hard to implement.

As far as submitting Issues on Google Code, yes you need a Google Account. I went ahead and created an issue for you, we'll look into it and get it fixed for the next release.

randell

Portal Member
February 27, 2007
Ft Worth, Texas
Home Country
Data Storage and Manager

I may have missed it, but I'm wondering, where the plugin will store it's data? Perhaps with some interface programming you could put the data access into it's own dll and allow the user to specify which dll to use via a config file. This way we could have different data access dlls based on how the end user wants to store the data (SQL Server, SqlLite, XML, Access, whatever).

Also, I've read it's suppose to parse and do a lot automagically, but it would be nice to have a utility that I can run on my PC that connects either directly to the data source, or the plugin would expose a remoting/web service that can be consumed so that I can manipulate things "behind the scenes" without disturbing the HTPC.

I love the TV-Series plugins, but these 2 points are my largest complaints. I would be willing to help out coding these if you're willing.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Right now the plug-in uses sqlite via MediaPortal's wrapper and the packed in sqlite.dll. The database layer is abstracted though, so it would be easy to write another implementation, I'd just have to extract an interface. This is my what I am thinking will be the approach to integrate with Media Portal 2, but I am not sure what kind of services they will be providing or how they will implement them. So we will have to wait and see I think.

As far as providing multiple back-end implementations for the database though, I am not sure I see the value in allowing the user to pick something like that. Maybe you have something like a multi-seat system in mind? I am not sure. Support for multiple database formats though is not and should not be a goal in and of itself. If it is implemented it should be the means to accomplish a goal. So what exactly are you wanting to be able to do with support for alternate DB formats?

Your suggestion for a remote utility via a web service or something similar is a great one though. I think this is definitely something that should be looked into at some point. Exposing an interface like this also opens up other possibilities, like maybe creating an iPhone remote for the plug-in. :eek:

The thing is though I am really trying to get all the core features completed for the first end-user release, 0.6. If you are really interested in starting work on something like this though, go sign up in the developer forums, and we can talk about some ideas and decide on an approach.

randell

Portal Member
February 27, 2007
Ft Worth, Texas
Home Country
So what exactly are you wanting to be able to do with support for alternate DB formats?
I don't want to be tied down to SqlLite. I have MSSQL server that I'd rather utilize. I figured there were other people that wouldn't want to be tied to MSSQL server, so they could use SqlLite, MYSQL, Oracle, XML, whatever floats their boat.

If the implementation was done thru an interface/abstract class and the loading of the library was done via reflection (loading the assembly based on the type specific in an .config file) if someone didn't like where the data was stored, they could write a data storage assembly that would be 100% abstracted from the main program (heck, it's so abstracted, it's not even in the same assembly!)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
So what exactly are you wanting to be able to do with support for alternate DB formats?
I don't want to be tied down to SqlLite. I have MSSQL server that I'd rather utilize. I figured there were other people that wouldn't want to be tied to MSSQL server, so they could use SqlLite, MYSQL, Oracle, XML, whatever floats their boat.

If the implementation was done thru an interface/abstract class and the loading of the library was done via reflection (loading the assembly based on the type specific in an .config file) if someone didn't like where the data was stored, they could write a data storage assembly that would be 100% abstracted from the main program (heck, it's so abstracted, it's not even in the same assembly!)
I am very sorry but I see absolutely no functional benefit in creating an abstract interface with multiple implementations of the database layer at this point. I am very willing to discuss and possibly implement new functionality, but what you are suggesting is multiple implementations of the same functionality. From the end user's point of view, this has zero impact. I am sorry but we will not be implementing multiple versions of the database layer without a good reason. A good reason would be to take advantage of new MP2 features like streamlined and MP integrated multi-seat support. So you can utilize your MS SQL Server database you happen to have running on your HTPC is not a good reason.

Like I said before, if you have specific ideas on how a different database implementation could improve the user experience, I would love to hear them, but I am not interested in creating busy work for myself and the other developers working on the project.

Also please keep in mind the second mission statement in the opening post. One of the primary focuses of this plug-in is usability, simplicity and ease of use. What you are suggesting goes directly against this philosophy.

Johan

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Ok, I added an issue for playback of mountable image files. Hopefully this will get into 0.6. I don't think it will be too hard to implement.

As far as submitting Issues on Google Code, yes you need a Google Account. I went ahead and created an issue for you, we'll look into it and get it fixed for the next release.

Very nice thanks! I love what I have seen so far! I just cant wait until some more things get fixed so I can run this for real! :)

I guess I just create a Google account if I need to report more bugs.

the_ult

Portal Pro
June 30, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Your suggestion for a remote utility via a web service or something similar is a great one though. I think this is definitely something that should be looked into at some point. Exposing an interface like this also opens up other possibilities, like maybe creating an iPhone remote for the plug-in. :eek:

This would definitely a nice feature. :)
That way it would be possible to build a website/interface on which you can see your movie collection (and maybe even remotely edit it).

Yabba

Portal Pro
July 13, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
I however have a bit of a problem. MP crashes everytime a video reaches it's end and stops playing.

Same here... and in my error.log also appears this entry from Johan's error.log file :

Code:
[ERROR][MPMain]: MediaPortal stopped due 2 an exception Object reference not set to an instance of an
object. MovingPictures    at MediaPortal.Plugins.MovingPictures.MovingPicturesGUI.OnPlayBackEnded(MediaType type,
String filename)

I can send my error.log if needed, but it's on another computer and I feel quite lazy this morning. :sorry: But if it's needed I can make an effort, ok :)

Anyway I was not using Moving Pictures at all, I was playing a series chapter with MP-TVSeries. It happens with all videos launched from every section of MP. Deleting the .dll also brought peace again.

I tried to make a bug report but the project was set to Read Only this morning for maintenance...

mattsk88

Community Skin Designer
March 27, 2008
I however have a bit of a problem. MP crashes everytime a video reaches it's end and stops playing.

Same here... and in my error.log also appears this entry from Johan's error.log file :

Code:
[ERROR][MPMain]: MediaPortal stopped due 2 an exception Object reference not set to an instance of an
object. MovingPictures    at MediaPortal.Plugins.MovingPictures.MovingPicturesGUI.OnPlayBackEnded(MediaType type,
String filename)

I can send my error.log if needed, but it's on another computer and I feel quite lazy this morning. :sorry: But if it's needed I can make an effort, ok :)

Anyway I was not using Moving Pictures at all, I was playing a series chapter with MP-TVSeries. It happens with all videos launched from every section of MP. Deleting the .dll also brought peace again.

I tried to make a bug report but the project was set to Read Only this morning for maintenance...
I was talking to fforde earlier today and I believe this problem has been fixed and will be included in the next release sometime in the next week.

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

This would definitely a nice feature. :)
    That way it would be possible to build a website/interface on which you can see your movie collection (and maybe even remotely edit it).

This is something I have been thinking of creating for a long time now (don't get too excited I have not started to code it yet). I was thinking along the lines of a generic remote touchscreen screen client/server and web app that whilst not tied directly to MP would interface with MP only for it's first version. This would then be expanded to home automation systems to give you one touchscreen interface to both platforms. It needs a bit of a change in the ethos of MP as a true multi user client/server aware whole house config; so i am thinking more of a MP2 thing.

For a first cut as a proof of concept I was going to create the framme work around c# asp.net running on IIS and get it so you can browse your libraries from an ipod touch, select the vid files you want to convert and it spits them out in ipod format to a share somewhere with proper ATOM tags for TV shows taken from the db................I already have the bits done to write the atoms and convert the media, so now am looking to but together the web framme work.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom